XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
BMW Assist Retrofit and Compensation

Just had a conversation with BMWNA about my 2G combox and there is now a retrofit solution available at no cost to affected customers. See below for more info that I pulled from Bimmerfest.

Visit www.bmwassistoffer.com, plug in the last 7 of your vin and select your choice. Which solution option would you go with?

Quote:
In response to complaints BMW has developed a retrofit solutions in order to provide continued BMW Assist service. BMW is also offering alternative compensation if owners prefer that option. These options only apply to BMW owners with Assist contracts expiring after December 31, 2016 and for vehicles equipped with a 2G GSM telematics device (e.g., COMBOX).

NEW If your BMW Assist contract expired before December 31, 2016 you're not eligible for the no cost retrofit or compensation. However, BMW is now offering the upgrade COMBOX on a paid basis. This means you can pony up at the parts counter for the new parts, which have an MSRP of around $550. The box requires installation, programing which will run $350. Activation is another $199 putting your total cost at $1,100. That is a steep price to pay for the feature set, but if having the connected car features is a priority to you it can now be done.

Background
For GSM vehicles equipped with a 2nd generation (2G) GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) telematics device from the factory, the 2G GSM service will no longer be supported after December 31, 2016. Most of these vehicles were offered with BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan, however, some 2014 Model Year and newer vehicles (e.g., E84 X1, E89 Z4, and E71 X6) were also offered with the new ConnectedDrive offering structure. Please refer to the table at the end of this message for a summary of which vehicles are equipped with 2G GSM telematics.

Compensation or retrofit offering:

For those customers that would rather not have BMW Assist services in their vehicle, BMW will be offering
the following compensation options
$300 BMW Lifestyle and Accessories voucher for in-Center purchases + Deactivation of existing technology
$200 Visa Pre-Paid Debit Card + Deactivation of existing technology

Hardware Retrofit:
For customers who have an active contract that expires after December 31, 2016 and who would like to maintain service after December 31, 2016, a hardware retrofit of a new telematics module will be available Please note: BMW will not be offering any retrofit or compensation for customers whose contract has already expired or whose contract will expire on or before December 31, 2016.

As soon as details of the final offerings are available, updated communications will be released, including direct customer communications. This message will also be updated with important information for dealers.

BMW Model equipped with 2G GSM hardware
1 Series - March 2008 - EOP
3 Series - March 2008 through MY2013
5 Series - March 2008 through MY2012
6 Series - March 2008 through MY2013
7 Series F01 - SOP through MY2012
X1 E84 - SOP through MY2015
X3 F25 - SOP through MY2013
X5 - April 2008 through MY2013
X6 - April 2008 through MY2014
Z4 E89 - MY2010 through EOP
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Just had a conversation with BMWNA about my 2G combox and there is now a retrofit solution available at no cost to affected customers. See below for more info that I pulled from Bimmerfest.

Visit www.bmwassistoffer.com, plug in the last 7 of your vin and select your choice. Which solution option would you go with?
I had this done last year and it was a nightmare. Took two tries because somehow the 1st "new" combox was a dud. Then the dealer used a software update from 2012 and most of my phone interactivity went away. After a month of not having my vehicle and insisting that they check the software they finally decided to put the latest update in (which they assured me would not be compatible) and the vehicle is working fine. Over a month's time I decided that I don't like the 2017 X5 and given the trouble, I should have taken the compensation. Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post

I had this done last year and it was a nightmare. Took two tries because somehow the 1st "new" combox was a dud. Then the dealer used a software update from 2012 and most of my phone interactivity went away. After a month of not having my vehicle and insisting that they check the software they finally decided to put the latest update in (which they assured me would not be compatible) and the vehicle is working fine. Over a month's time I decided that I don't like the 2017 X5 and given the trouble, I should have taken the compensation. Just my 2 cents...
That sucks. I was almost committed to do the retrofit since the $$$ options are small change by comparison. I couldn't see myself buying $300 in BMW accessories and the $200 cash card is almost insulting. Now I'm even more undecided...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Holy crap I took the $200 gift card when mine was disabled, to put right toward brake parts for the wife's 328.... and now that you mention this I don't recall ever receiving the actual gift card. It's been 9 months, I don't even know how I would check on it...

The biggest joke was, they just put a black sticker over the button so as to hide the white label. On a trip when my TPMS kept malfunctioning I took the sticker off that button and put it on my insturment panel window to hide the constant flashing TPMS warning.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
SC_Caniac
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 x50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
The biggest joke was, they just put a black sticker over the button so as to hide the white label. On a trip when my TPMS kept malfunctioning I took the sticker off that button and put it on my insturment panel window to hide the constant flashing TPMS warning.
Do you have the part number for that black sticker? I can't find it on RealOEM...
Appreciate 0