XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #23
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-SRT View Post
good idea, details on size and length?
I used half inch hydraulic hose (probably about 2' per side?) and two half inch unions (https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...4325&catid=551). Cut each end of the stock hose about 2" from the end, then use the unions and a heat gun to join the hydraulic hose to the stock ends. You could epoxy around the union on the stock side to make sure it won't leak, but I wasn't able to force any air through it without it. I used clamps on the hose, but they didn't really seem necessary.
      09-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #24
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

My top hose was leaking and the dealer replaced it under warranty.
Eventually I'll install an oil catch can.

One project I will be working on the Z3M is eliminating the crankcase gases completely from the intake. The setup will be oil catch can - check valve - exhaust port. This is better then blowing it to atmosphere since there's a vacuum. When I get this running properly on the track toy I'll incorporate a similar setup to the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #25
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroclast View Post
I replaced my side pipes with hydraulic hose, so they won't be breaking again anytime soon. Bitch to replace though.
Did you remove the turbo to change these vent pipes
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 03:40 AM   #26
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroclast View Post
I replaced my side pipes with hydraulic hose, so they won't be breaking again anytime soon. Bitch to replace though.
You take any pics? I love visuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #27
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Did you remove the turbo to change these vent pipes
Nope, but I did have to remove the coolant expansion tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
You take any pics? I love visuals.
Unfortunately not I have a lot of hose and connectors here if you need some though.
      10-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #28
ABQ M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Just got this in the mail as well. Pretty vague on the details but I already replaced the filtered air vent hose @ $466.00. I hope it's the same thing. Having the same problem with the other side. Was ready to sell the X5M and get something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #29
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Can anyone confirm whether this applies to the two side vent pipes in addition to the connecting line, or just the connecting line? Sounds like it might only apply to the connecting line, which doesn't really make sense and sucks for me, since my side vent pipes need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #30
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
Can anyone confirm whether this applies to the two side vent pipes in addition to the connecting line, or just the connecting line? Sounds like it might only apply to the connecting line, which doesn't really make sense and sucks for me, since my side vent pipes need to be replaced.
I think someone mentioned in another thread that it would be covered. Are your side hoses leaking? since they are away from the exhaust, there's less of a chance of them getting brittle.
If there's no leak, the issue may be with the check valve that they connect to, which is not covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #31
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Quote:
I think someone mentioned in another thread that it would be covered. Are your side hoses leaking? since they are away from the exhaust, there's less of a chance of them getting brittle.
If there's no leak, the issue may be with the check valve that they connect to, which is not covered by warranty.
My dealer is claiming that both of the side vent pipes are leaking and the top one is fine. Seems unlikely, but that's what they say. They are checking tomorrow to see if the repair will be covered.

Also, for anyone that has replaced the 3 vent pipes themselves, how long of a job is it? I can't imagine it taking more than a couple hours, but the dealer wants $1,400 for the job. Lol. If it's not covered under warranty, I might attempt the repair myself. How difficult is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #32
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
My dealer is claiming that both of the side vent pipes are leaking and the top one is fine. Seems unlikely, but that's what they say. They are checking tomorrow to see if the repair will be covered.

Also, for anyone that has replaced the 3 vent pipes themselves, how long of a job is it? I can't imagine it taking more than a couple hours, but the dealer wants $1,400 for the job. Lol. If it's not covered under warranty, I might attempt the repair myself. How difficult is it?
1) Yes, they can leak.
2) No, they aren't covered.
3) Yes, they are a pain in the ass to replace.
4) No, it's not $1400 worth of work.

Check the brace that the connecting hose is running across for oil residue...or the hose itself (lift it carefully or move it aside). If there is any oil in that area, it's a sure shot that it's leaking.

As far as the two side hoses - after what I went through with one of them, I'd gladly pay someone $500 to replace both. However, for $1400 I'd do it myself again...

This is the other thread by the way:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954887

Last edited by mirob; 11-15-2017 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Adding link...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #33
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
1) Yes, they can leak.
2) No, they aren't covered.
3) Yes, they are a pain in the ass to replace.
4) No, it's not $1400 worth of work.

Check the brace that the connecting hose is running across for oil residue...or the hose itself (lift it carefully or move it aside). If there is any oil in that area, it's a sure shot that it's leaking.

As far as the two side hoses - after what I went through with one of them, I'd gladly pay someone $500 to replace both. However, for $1400 I'd do it myself again...

This is the other thread by the way:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954887
Agree..those sides were a pain to remove off the intake manifolds. Not much room to grab the ends to release.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #34
F9T
Captain
Rep

Dealer is replacing the two side vent hoses for me under the extended warranty from BMW NA, so I'm not sure if they are officially covered, but they are covering them for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #35
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dealer is replacing the two side vent hoses for me under the extended warranty from BMW NA, so I'm not sure if they are officially covered, but they are covering them for me.
Glad to hear they are covering it! I may replace the MAP sensors this winter. If so I'll get a better idea if disconnecting the hose from the bottom is easy.

The check-valves that are built into vent-pipe 13717848152 can fail with oil and film. Over time oil can build-up and create a blockage. Keep in mind the hose size for the check valves are around ¼ of an inch. It doesn’t take much to clog that. When clogged it could cause the throttle valve to open more than intended at idle. This would also trigger a check engine light.

My point is that there’s a high probability the issue is with the check-valve vent piece and not the side vents. Though I do understand when paying someone to fix a problem, multiple repair visits usually cost more than just one. So if you just want to be sure everything is fixed, replace all the hoses.

When I was troubleshooting my issue, I replaced one component at a time to narrow down the true cause. The failing part turned out to be the check-valve that connects to the top hose.
Attached Images

Last edited by philly42; 11-15-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
m5james429.00
      11-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #36
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Anyone know if BMW will warranty the work that has already been done? These failed on me a while back and I had a local indy shop replace them. Original diagnostic was performed by the BMW dealer, so it should be in their logs.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #37
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Go talk to my buddy Dmitri at DMI Auto Care in Ballard and see if he can work something out for you. He used to work at BMW of Seattle and supposedly anything bought from BMW carries a short warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #38
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Go talk to my buddy Dmitri at DMI Auto Care in Ballard and see if he can work something out for you. He used to work at BMW of Seattle and supposedly anything bought from BMW carries a short warranty.

Thanks, I'm going to give BMW NA a call after the holidays and see if we can resolve something.
I have the notice of "limited warranty extension" letter as well as the diagnostic report from BMW Seattle noting the failure of the part, so hopefully they'll own up to their warranty, regardless of where and when the work was done. ...though it does say "the work will be performed by the authorized BMW center in the US free of charge", so they'll probably argue some angle around that since I had it replaced elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #39
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that's where Dmitri might be able to come in since he used to work there.

Happy Thanksgiving all :-)
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #40
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Glad to hear they are covering it! I may replace the MAP sensors this winter. If so I'll get a better idea if disconnecting the hose from the bottom is easy.

The check-valves that are built into vent-pipe 13717848152 can fail with oil and film. Over time oil can build-up and create a blockage. Keep in mind the hose size for the check valves are around ¼ of an inch. It doesn’t take much to clog that. When clogged it could cause the throttle valve to open more than intended at idle. This would also trigger a check engine light.

My point is that there’s a high probability the issue is with the check-valve vent piece and not the side vents. Though I do understand when paying someone to fix a problem, multiple repair visits usually cost more than just one. So if you just want to be sure everything is fixed, replace all the hoses.

When I was troubleshooting my issue, I replaced one component at a time to narrow down the true cause. The failing part turned out to be the check-valve that connects to the top hose.
From what I can see, those check valves are only available as part of the complete filtered air duct assemblies for either side, but are they cleanable?

I have a bunch of oil residue on the top of my engine and especially the 1-4 bank, and it looks to be coming from these, but would rather not spend 500+ for the parts, and pull everything off to get to the main pipes hardware, if the check valves themselves can be removed and fixed.

I will know more after a good engine clean tomorrow, but any info on what you did would be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #41
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
From what I can see, those check valves are only available as part of the complete filtered air duct assemblies for either side, but are they cleanable?

I have a bunch of oil residue on the top of my engine and especially the 1-4 bank, and it looks to be coming from these, but would rather not spend 500+ for the parts, and pull everything off to get to the main pipes hardware, if the check valves themselves can be removed and fixed.

I will know more after a good engine clean tomorrow, but any info on what you did would be great!
I removed mine and cleaned them with brake cleaner. Later washed them with dish soap. I tested the check valve by blowing/sucking air through. My drive-side check valve sealed-up fine when I tried to blow air. (simulating boost-pressure) Though the passenger side did not. The check valves are built-in but you can get creative and incorporate your own check-valve if it should fail.
For example, one could drill out the failed check-valve and epoxy a universal check-valve in its place.
Appreciate 1
Colodano130.50
      12-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #42
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info. I might end up messing with them more next week. Not seeing much now after the degreasing, but I do have a leaking coolant expansion tank to replace today.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #43
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm sure I did more than what was needed to do the expansion tank R&R, but I converted to Evans Coolant as well and this provided me great access to flush everything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #44
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yikes, looks like when I had to change my D/S headlight ballast!

I am just doing the swap from above, part didin't show up until late so a task for tomorrow. From what I saw, should be 5-10 minutes from the top.

If all goes well, might have an AA tune by the end of the day as well.
Appreciate 0