XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Question X5M - DIY Maintenance??

I’m considering getting an X5M with around 60k miles and am looking for some feedback on regular maintenance. At around 70-100K I can imagine there being quite a bit on maintenance work needed. I’m quite handy with a fair amount of tools and don’t mind doing regular service.

Are there any DIYers out here maintaining their X5M themselves? If so are there any quirky services that require special tools?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
e36bmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Revolving door of BMWs

Yep, fully maintaining my X5M myself. I have the CarlyforBMW app to code a few things, like folding mirrors in after 1s of the lock button and for resetting oil when I change that. I just did an oil change and driver side turbo coolant hose today. I did the passenger side when I bought the car. Looks like both ended up leaking over time. Neither were difficult, if you can work on any other car, you can probably figure this one out. I've also changed out some of the vacuum hoses as those dry out and crack. recently the vacuum hose that goes to the vacuum pump had a crack in it, I actually noticed a decent increase in performance when I replaced that. I've also replaced all of the CCV hoses, as those crack easily as well.

My '13 X5M has around 97k miles right now.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Regular maintenance isn't abnormally difficult. It's the repairs that will get the average DIY'er. For example, I'm replacing the engine oil cooler lines, which would seem a benign task in any other car, but in this truck you're required to lower the entire front subframe in order to access them. These cars are full of that kind of surprise. The Motorsports division packed ten pounds of crap in a one pound bag and the technicians will pay the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36bmer View Post
Yep, fully maintaining my X5M myself. I have the CarlyforBMW app to code a few things, like folding mirrors in after 1s of the lock button and for resetting oil when I change that. I just did an oil change and driver side turbo coolant hose today. I did the passenger side when I bought the car. Looks like both ended up leaking over time. Neither were difficult, if you can work on any other car, you can probably figure this one out. I've also changed out some of the vacuum hoses as those dry out and crack. recently the vacuum hose that goes to the vacuum pump had a crack in it, I actually noticed a decent increase in performance when I replaced that. I've also replaced all of the CCV hoses, as those crack easily as well.

That’s a lot of hoses!!
Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit worried about all the computer diagnostics and coding needed.
Though my brother got that same app and said he’ll guide me through using it. I’ll plan to replace all
those items you recently did. Is the CCV known to hold up well? Is walnut blasting needed around every
30-50k miles?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Regular maintenance isn't abnormally difficult. It's the repairs that will get the average DIY'er. For example, I'm replacing the engine oil cooler lines, which would seem a benign task in any other car, but in this truck you're required to lower the entire front subframe in order to access them. These cars are full of that kind of surprise. The Motorsports division packed ten pounds of crap in a one pound bag and the technicians will pay the price.
That’s what I’m afraid of! I’ve gotten a lot better working on cars and enjoy it most of the time. I recently got myself a lift which
should help with dropping the subframe but I doubt doing it’ll be fun. It’s good to know the regular maintenance doable.

Should I stay away an X5M if it doesn’t have any or some of the recalls done? Meaning if the recalls weren’t done is it very likely
that the engine is damaged or just may not be running in optimum condition?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
That’s what I’m afraid of! I’ve gotten a lot better working on cars and enjoy it most of the time. I recently got myself a lift which
should help with dropping the subframe but I doubt doing it’ll be fun. It’s good to know the regular maintenance doable.

Should I stay away an X5M if it doesn’t have any or some of the recalls done? Meaning if the recalls weren’t done is it very likely
that the engine is damaged or just may not be running in optimum condition?
Don't let the recalls scare you if they're not done. You'll be able to get them done later, and they're not hard to do yourself if needed. They aren't things that would be problematic until they start to fail and present codes. Everything should run fine until then.

X5M is a LOT of car for the money now. Don't let the service side of it sway you away if you have your heart set on it. If you have a lift in your garage then you're obviously not scared of wrenching so don't fret over it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
S55F80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Garage List
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

My X5M gets oil somehow on the top of that valley where the 2 PCV hose lines are. Im not sure where the hell its coming from. Any Ideas? 104k Miles
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlamdlx View Post
My X5M gets oil somehow on the top of that valley where the 2 PCV hose lines are. Im not sure where the hell its coming from. Any Ideas? 104k Miles
The top hose that goes across the turbos is part of the crankcase ventilation system. They tend to go bad over time, probably due to heat in that area. This item should be covered by warranty for your car. If so I wouldn't wait too long as I believe it is covered till 120k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Shenker
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Sapphire Black

I just purchased mine with full intentions of doing the same thing, I bought mine 5k km (located in canada) out of warranty, and to say it still makes me nervous to own is an understatement. Especially when I had my first engine malfunction light at full launch, came up in carly as cyl 5 misfire, however I believe it can be traced back to some sub-par fuel, as it hasnt come up since I switched to running strictly V-Power 91 or Petro-Canada (Sunoco/Suncor) 94.

Its a steep learning curve with them, but they are a TON of fun, and there is getting to be growing support for them now that they are reaching the pre-owned enthusiast market now.
      09-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenker View Post
I just purchased mine with full intentions of doing the same thing, I bought mine 5k km (located in canada) out of warranty, and to say it still makes me nervous to own is an understatement. Especially when I had my first engine malfunction light at full launch, came up in carly as cyl 5 misfire, however I believe it can be traced back to some sub-par fuel, as it hasnt come up since I switched to running strictly V-Power 91 or Petro-Canada (Sunoco/Suncor) 94.

Its a steep learning curve with them, but they are a TON of fun, and there is getting to be growing support for them now that they are reaching the pre-owned enthusiast market now.
This car has been keeping me busy though hopefully with all the maintenance I've been putting in, it'll run smoothly for a while. I just got my first engine malfunction light too. New coils will be installed soon.
Same here on the learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #11
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:

Is it worth putting some heat sleeves to protect theee hoses from heat , I am thinking over using the heat shield and a turbo blanket, h
Any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Is it worth putting some heat sleeves to protect theee hoses from heat , I am thinking over using the heat shield and a turbo blanket, h
Any thoughts
I think it's a great idea. I just helped a buddy install stainless steel brake lines on his M3. The lines came with heat sleeve shields to protect the fluid from reaching extreme temps.

I agree as well with the turbo blankets. The oil and coolant lines are meant to keep them operating at a particular temp range. If the flow of coolant to the turbos are monitored an controlled by the ecu using at temp sensor, it should be fine using a blanket.

Btw, when replacing the coolant lines, I recommend reusing the "T" connecting points. The connectors have a valve that's needed for bleeding the coolant system.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I think it's a great idea. I just helped a buddy install stainless steel brake lines on his M3. The lines came with heat sleeve shields to protect the fluid from reaching extreme temps.

I agree as well with the turbo blankets. The oil and coolant lines are meant to keep them operating at a particular temp range. If the flow of coolant to the turbos are monitored an controlled by the ecu using at temp sensor, it should be fine using a blanket.

Btw, when replacing the coolant lines, I recommend reusing the "T" connecting points. The connectors have a valve that's needed for bleeding the coolant system.
I have seen a PTP turbo blanket which is around 350$ and is made specifically for X5m. The heat shroud and sleeves are
also available By PTP and DEI( design and engineering) on amazon and Ebay .

Heat shroud comes with a Velcro tape so can be simple put without removing the lines . Let me know if you are interested in this project and we may share more information
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #14
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Here’s my 2 cents // I have a 10 X5M - heavily modded Full Akrapovic Titanium catback exhaust -my Own Tune , also Turner Module, KW variant 3 fully adj coilovers DP’s - My own intake system, etc car is pushing over 700hp / I’m very hard on car - I drive them like they are meant to be driven ! - now I’m also a 25 yr ASE master tech - In Automotive drivetrains and also auto body, I hope I don’t jinx myself by writing this short of having to change a battery and also some vacuum lines the car is extremely robust and very well-built the entire bottom end of the engine is forged therefore it’s very strong , I also do my own maintenance but God for bid I have an extremely high price item (part)I also have an extended warranty i’m about to do the spark plugs two steps colder than stock the car has about 104,000 miles on it and I’m very anal about the oil changes I do it about every 5000 and I also add Ceretec 2 bottles also lubro molly anti friction Mos2 additive 2 bottles - I know for a fact additives work I have done my research on them The long short of it is the car should be driven pretty hard now and again that’s what it is meant for the reason these cars fail and break down is because they are not driven hard enough also you need to make sure you follow your routine maintenance because it’s specifically there for a reason make sure you do that also I’m going to be doing a tranny service in about 5000 miles also I will not do a flush since it’s not recommended on these vehicles but I will drop the pan and I will drain the oil and refill it with a new filter . Short of an minor airbag leak - (load leveling bags) and vacuum hoses - no probs ! 0 ! - I also let the car warm up properly- this is also a over looked Major important thing so I think these large cars- cuz they are not trucks!�� are well built and very durable / robust and lots of room on table for upgrades - don’t let miles scare you away - just make sure it was MAINTAINED!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Absolutely- I am absolutely interested in the turbo blankets please if you find some shoot me a message or a link that would definitely help the turbo spool faster cure a little bit of heat soak etc. and if you buy down pipes I would personally wrap them very well with a high-end header wrap
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #16
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Intercooler coolant hoses on top

Do you know if FCP Euro sells a kit for that and what it’s called exactly I would greatly appreciate it because mine is weeping and I’ve cut the hose shorter just for temp but still weeps I would just like to redo all the top cooling hoses // I would greatly appreciate it if you know what kit for this and what it’s called ? Pls msg me - I need this ASAP- I took my car which is under a third-party warranty BMW quoted them 13 hours or 16 hours to repair this I almost laughed myself to death. - ima 25 yr ASE master tech so I laugh at stealership prices and their absolutely bananas quotes ! /// thanks ahead by the way for any help - if I can’t find a part number or a specific kit for this I will just do with the generic way with half-inch tubing and hose clamps ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #17
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Since your a tech, you will find the job pretty easy. You do have to remove the turbos though to replace all the lines and that's where some of the cost comes in. Honestly though even your first time it should only be about a 4 hour job. I've done it a few times myself. This will be a good time to check out your oil return lines and replace if needed as they can get coked up as well as the oil return housing is prone to leaking at around 60k and up.

Check out the website below and type in the last 7 of your VIN, pull all the part numbers you need and jump up on partsgeek to find the best prices. Dont forget new collector and turbo gaskets. I tried to be cheap and reuse, not reccomended lol. This would be a good time to install downpipes.

Tip I have learned when doing the coolant lines is to use a small funnel to fill the lines with coolant right before you connect to the turbos. Saves from having to vacuum down rh system and fill. They used to make the connection blocks with bleed screws but not anymore so pre-filling the lines is important unless you do the vaccum purge/fill.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 12-16-2019 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #18
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good tip on using a small funnel to fill those coolant lines before re-attaching.

As an update to my original question, the only tools I ended up getting to work on the car were small and large Torx socekts. Both male and female sockets.

Though the most helpful tool has been the Rheingold ISTA-D computer program.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
Ebtahi98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Thanks Guys much appreciated - 😂- had another weep from coolant lines from pass side Turbo - lines are getting shorter/lmao as I await my new coolant lines ! Uhhhh 🤦🏻*♂️ / I just wait for it to cool and u know shorten the already short coolant lines here laugh with or at me ! Lol [IMG][/IMG]. By the way if anybody ever has go fast bits to sell I'm always welcome to new fun stuff ... Thanks everyone and I just want to tell everybody have a wonderful safe and happy holidays along with a wonderful new year. Notice a little bulging line 🥳🤞🏻 hope it lasts at least another four or five days. - damn at least may the M gods bless me with no coolant smell or weep for just 5 days ! Lol. The last picture was just after I shortened the line coming from the block that clips onto the front of the engine for the IC pump - just a few more days 🙏🏻. Lol (sorry about the scribbles all over it was trying to explain to someone. Lol ///T.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-07-2023, 05:39 AM   #20
Reg1
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5m

X5m PVC Valve replacement

Hey
I've tried replacing the two pvc valves on my 2012 X5m but cannot get to the two torx bolts under the intercooler pipes. Any suggestions? Do i need to remove the intercooler pipes that feed the turbos to get to these two bolts?

Cheers:
Appreciate 0