XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

E70 X5M suspension parts

Hey guys I have been looking to do a suspension overhaul for my X5m and i cant find any other options other than oem dealership. I check eas, ecs, turner, and other sites but i only am able to find one side rear and no front shocks? Control arms, bushings and a few other suspension pieces?

Does anyone know where i can find all this for my X5M without giving my arm to the bmw dealerships? One thing i should say i dont want to order from shady sites.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

http://www.rockauto.com/

I've used rockauto a lot for my other cars and recently did a suspension refresh on my wife's E70 X5 3.0si. They have some brand name parts but mostly distribute aftermarket stuff. They are a good company and not shady at all.

I bought all mevotech brand since they were inexpensive, but still had decent reviews. The parts fit fine, but I had an issue installing the front lower control arm since the aftermarket parts were shaped slightly different around the ball joint and the limited clearance caused and issue. It still went in, but I scraped my CV joint boot and now have to replace it. When I did the other side I paid special attention to how the old one came out then I did the reverse and the aftermarket part slipped straight in. Just make sure you watch what you're doing.

Also, don't forget to load the suspension before torqueing the bushing bolts. Otherwise they will shred up quick.

Edit: If you're looking only for OEM parts then try Pelicanparts too. I understand avoiding aftermarket on the M. I wouldn't go aftermarket on the M suspension unless it was a very reputable brand.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs

Last edited by jandref321; 09-11-2017 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
http://www.rockauto.com/

I've used rockauto a lot for my other cars and recently did a suspension refresh on my wife's E70 X5 3.0si. They have some brand name parts but mostly distribute aftermarket stuff. They are a good company and not shady at all.

I bought all mevotech brand since they were inexpensive, but still had decent reviews. The parts fit fine, but I had an issue installing the front lower control arm since the aftermarket parts were shaped slightly different around the ball joint and the limited clearance caused and issue. It still went in, but I scraped my CV joint boot and now have to replace it. When I did the other side I paid special attention to how the old one came out then I did the reverse and the aftermarket part slipped straight in. Just make sure you watch what you're doing.

Also, don't forget to load the suspension before torqueing the bushing bolts. Otherwise they will shred up quick.

Edit: If you're looking only for OEM parts then try Pelicanparts too. I understand avoiding aftermarket on the M. I wouldn't go aftermarket on the M suspension unless it was a very reputable brand.
Great! thanks for your help. I wasnt sure if rockauto was a reliable parts source. I Tried searching for some parts but they dont seem to have X5M under their fits vehicle models. Im assuming if it fits the x5 4.4l v8 tt it would still work on my x5m with edc and everything?

Pelicanparts has the x5m as a choice so im looking through their site now cant find shocks themselves but i found the control arms and bushings i need.

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so i looked into FCP Euro as well and they are the only site i have found so far that offers shocks but they are BMW branded so that means about 800 for one shock or 1200 for the assembly for just on side in the front.

If those are the only prices i can find i might just end up going with KW for about 3k
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Yes, the 4.4L still covers the M, but some items will say "except M" or "Only 3.5." I use "trust but verify" with this company. They are usually right with fitment but I double check sometimes on the manufacturer website and compare part numbers on realoem. There was another thread on here someone started where I actually compared all of the suspension between non-M and M. I'll post the link when I find it.

Are you sure you really need shocks? I did coilovers on the wife's car for preventative maintenance at 100k miles, but she didn't really need them. You would probably need them around 120-140k miles, but not before they start leaking. I think the X5M is still a niche market so not too many companies making struts/coilovers for them.

KW is super expensive but you get what you pay for. The box comes with all the recommended measurements and presets etc plus they have rebound adjustments, full threaded sleeves, progressive spring rates. They are actually designed not just made. Like you said, it's comparable having stock full assemblies vs KW on this truck.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Here was my old post:

I just did a quick run through realoem for 2011 50i vs 2011 X5m, mainly part numbers.

Front Axle:
Same:
Lower control arm
Lower Strut mount
Reinforcement Plate

Different:
Upper Control Arm
Tension Arm
Strut very different (even from non M adaptive)
Frame part number
Actual Body support number (where the strut bolts up)

Rear Axle:
Same:
Rear Control Arm
Front Control Arm
Swing Arm
Hub Carrier
Body Support number (Where the damper bolts up)

Different:
Damper Very different (Even from nonM adaptive)
Frame part number
Spring part number

From looking at aftermarket parts I know that the springs are interchangeable in the rear. The rear body support is also the same and almost all the components so you should be able to swap that no problem. The Front, however, has a different upper strut mounting location part number so may have a different bolt pattern. The lower control arms are the same and so are the lower strut mounts so very high likely hood that the front struts are interchangeable.

The big "handling" differences about the M are supposed to be the torque vectoring rear diff and the steering rack. I saw a diff on ebay for $1500 but I image that it would be difficult to retrofit.

Appreciate 1
      09-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the 4.4L still covers the M, but some items will say "except M" or "Only 3.5." I use "trust but verify" with this company. They are usually right with fitment but I double check sometimes on the manufacturer website and compare part numbers on realoem. There was another thread on here someone started where I actually compared all of the suspension between non-M and M. I'll post the link when I find it.

Are you sure you really need shocks? I did coilovers on the wife's car for preventative maintenance at 100k miles, but she didn't really need them. You would probably need them around 120-140k miles, but not before they start leaking. I think the X5M is still a niche market so not too many companies making struts/coilovers for them.

KW is super expensive but you get what you pay for. The box comes with all the recommended measurements and presets etc plus they have rebound adjustments, full threaded sleeves, progressive spring rates. They are actually designed not just made. Like you said, it's comparable having stock full assemblies vs KW on this truck.
For the shocks i inspected them and they looked a bit worn the cover on the shock was broken off. I just assumed the previous owners never replaced the suspension and since i had the airbag issue in the rear if i should change my shocks as well. I guess i just want to replace them before they blow out on me, but if they can last me until 100k that would be awesome. Maybe i should wait for things to wear out a bit more.

I guess right now then i should be more concerned with bushings and fluids.

Quote:
Here was my old post:

I just did a quick run through realoem for 2011 50i vs 2011 X5m, mainly part numbers.

Front Axle:
Same:
Lower control arm
Lower Strut mount
Reinforcement Plate

Different:
Upper Control Arm
Tension Arm
Strut very different (even from non M adaptive)
Frame part number
Actual Body support number (where the strut bolts up)

Rear Axle:
Same:
Rear Control Arm
Front Control Arm
Swing Arm
Hub Carrier
Body Support number (Where the damper bolts up)

Different:
Damper Very different (Even from nonM adaptive)
Frame part number
Spring part number

From looking at aftermarket parts I know that the springs are interchangeable in the rear. The rear body support is also the same and almost all the components so you should be able to swap that no problem. The Front, however, has a different upper strut mounting location part number so may have a different bolt pattern. The lower control arms are the same and so are the lower strut mounts so very high likely hood that the front struts are interchangeable.

The big "handling" differences about the M are supposed to be the torque vectoring rear diff and the steering rack. I saw a diff on ebay for $1500 but I image that it would be difficult to retrofit.
Thank you for this info I will look at the list and keep thi in mind when searching for the parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

My shocks aren’t leaking but I started to search for a replacements when that time comes. I haven’t found a replacement that works with the EDC. Though there are places that can rebuild your current shocks. One in particular is deltavee.net
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thanks for this info guys

I just picked up my car from dealer service (oil change, brake fluid change, driveshaft change (recall) and alignment)

They did they alignment as much as they could based on following:
they told me that I will need to replace both front lower control arms with ball joints and both tension arms since they are stuck, I got quoted close to $1800 in parts alone I believe. This is something that I'm planning to do closer to spring time frame but also wondering if I should try to get parts myself elsewhere and go to Indy shop for repair
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Ahh bushings and such. These started to go out around 75k in my E53, where are you guys seeing them wear on these beasts?

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Ahh bushings and such. These started to go out around 75k in my E53, where are you guys seeing them wear on these beasts?
I'm at 72K pretty close to your mileage but I'm on KWs
Appreciate 0