XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Blacksage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85

xdrive50i a good long term vehicle?

I am looking at an xdrive50i priced under 40K for my next daily driver. I have a set of twins so I need a vehicle large enough for them and all their gear and the additional gear we'll need once they start growing. It seems like the new thing is to dump these cars after the warranty expires. I've owned quite a few bimmers, most of them E46 M3s, a 335i and an E36 or two. I am not new to the DIY stuff, the expensive dealer bills, and making friends with the tech at a good indy shop.

My question is, how reliable is the N63 engine for daily driving? I plan to put on about 20K miles a year. Am I looking at the wrong kind of car? Should I go with the 35i as far as reliability goes (I don't care about the difference in gas mileage)? I know things are magnified online, I am reading a lot of stories about batteries, CCP not solving issues, engine malfunction light, reduced power, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksage View Post
I am looking at an xdrive50i priced under 40K for my next daily driver. I have a set of twins so I need a vehicle large enough for them and all their gear and the additional gear we'll need once they start growing. It seems like the new thing is to dump these cars after the warranty expires. I've owned quite a few bimmers, most of them E46 M3s, a 335i and an E36 or two. I am not new to the DIY stuff, the expensive dealer bills, and making friends with the tech at a good indy shop.

My question is, how reliable is the N63 engine for daily driving? I plan to put on about 20K miles a year. Am I looking at the wrong kind of car? Should I go with the 35i as far as reliability goes (I don't care about the difference in gas mileage)? I know things are magnified online, I am reading a lot of stories about batteries, CCP not solving issues, engine malfunction light, reduced power, etc.

Well I'm at 120k miles on my 35i and the only real failure was the transfer case. Otherwise bulletproof, The 50i you'll hear both ends of the spectrum but one guy was on the far end with 36k in repairs in 6 years on his 50i and warns everyone to keep an open bill fold for the v8, when I was purchasing my x5 both my dealer and my personal friend who works on BMW's both told me to steer clear of the v8 out of warranty.

Now the 35i isn't as fast as a 50i obviously but not sure if that's high on your bucket list. But the 35i isn't exactly slow either. Plus you can tune the 35i to be similar to the 50i stock performance from what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

A BMW especially a late model is not a long term car for many, mainly due to maintenance costs. Not to mention, they are not even that fuel efficient (The X5 in general).

That's my opinion, and I still have another 1yr/20k left on my BMW extended warranty. The costs to things not covered, or general maintance, just cost more either by a little, or a lot. e.g. $2000 to change the transmission fluid and filter! Where the parts cost only $350.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:

I would definitely go with a 35i. The 35i engine is much better in terms of reliability and maintenance. I had a 50i and got rid of it after 2 years. I had coil packs go on me about once every 2 months. It was always in the shop. I luckily had a CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

OP-- Agree with posters above. The 50i is riddled with problems.

If you are hard bent on the V8 and having that much power, the X5M is actually LESS prone to issues than the 50i. And you can find a 11-12 with under 50k miles in the 30s

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

50i owner here.

I love this vehicle and mine's been mostly trouble free, but I don't think I'd buy one to pile 20K miles/year on. Ours is driven 8-10K a year, perhaps why I haven't encountered many issues? As miles add up, I envision more repairs, and they're $.

Like you said, things are magnified online, and that's certainly the case with the 50i, it has a terrible reputation on this forum. And for some people, it's certainly justified. There are some happy owners however, who've enjoyed mostly trouble free ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
Blacksage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post

If you are hard bent on the V8 and having that much power, the X5M is actually LESS prone to issues than the 50i. And you can find a 11-12 with under 50k miles in the 30s
Don't tell me that! My wife is going to come looking for you! I saw a red X5M with 60K on the clock at about 33K. I miss my M vehicles, it has been a long time.

If I can tune an X35i to 400HP or so I would consider it. Not that the C55 is a beast, but I know I'll get bored if the car is running a 0-60 above 6 seconds or so. I just want to buy the right car and keep it for 7-10 years versus buying 2-3 cars in that same time span.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Quote:

Don't tell me that! My wife is going to come looking for you! I saw a red X5M with 60K on the clock at about 33K. I miss my M vehicles, it has been a long time.

If I can tune an X35i to 400HP or so I would consider it. Not that the C55 is a beast, but I know I'll get bored if the car is running a 0-60 above 6 seconds or so. I just want to buy the right car and keep it for 7-10 years versus buying 2-3 cars in that same time span.
Have you thought about a 35D? Super torquey and with the Sport activity package, it looks great.

My friend literally just picked one up and loves it.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Have you thought about a 35D? Super torquey and with the Sport activity package, it looks great.

My friend literally just picked one up and loves it.
Wow, must be a strong guy. These are heavy vehicles!

Appreciate 4
Naz241627.50
werdn656.00
      02-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
50i owner here.

I love this vehicle and mine's been mostly trouble free, but I don't think I'd buy one to pile 20K miles/year on. Ours is driven 8-10K a year, perhaps why I haven't encountered many issues? As miles add up, I envision more repairs, and they're $.

Like you said, things are magnified online, and that's certainly the case with the 50i, it has a terrible reputation on this forum. And for some people, it's certainly justified. There are some happy owners however, who've enjoyed mostly trouble free ownership.
This. Mine has not treated me too badly. I drove the 35i and then 50i, could not get the V6 after. I would have pulled trigger on M if one was there. I bought this one CPO and added BMW warranty. Peace of mind. Would I own it out of warranty - probably not.

It is nice to have the power when needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
50i owner here.

Another happy 50i owner here. Mine did have it's share of problem (valve stem seals replaced), but BMW stepped up and covered the cost under goodwill. I do have Route66 warranty, wouldn't own one without warranty (even the 35i for that matter).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
witz323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp

2011 50i owner here. I've got over 80k on mine and it's never left me stranded. It's one of the best cars i've ever owned. Lots of power, storage, tows, awesome in the snow, comfortable for 4 adults...truly a versatile car. All the preventative maintenance was covered by BMW for free. All i've done is change oil and put new tires on. We are currently putting on about 15-20k miles year and plan to keep on doing that for 3-5 years. I drove my last BMW to over 160k, so I see no reason this one won't last just as long.
2020 M8comp
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Another happy 50i owner here, I've had it for almost 3 years now(80k miles) and have had very little issues with it. I spent over $6k on an extended warranty that I've used once so far(new rear air bags)

Just remember, most of the bad things you hear/read about the n63 is on these forums...they are not unreliable, it all depends on how you drive and maintain the truck
      02-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
50i owner here.

+1 here. Two years into a 2012 X5 50i M Sport and zero mechanical issues. But my mileage is fairly low. I have a short commute and its been great for a family of four, my boys love it, and the third row (which I was able to get) is great for the twice a year grandparents visit.

I too am a bit wary of long term ownership after my CPO warranty runs out but I will think about it until then. The N63 service package was tended to before I bought it and no other issues so far. (ok an annoying occasional TPMS malfunction error)
If you want one I suggest just getting the lowest mileage vehicle you can afford.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

See the issue is many won't have problems because they bought new and they are relatively low miles, if you bought one at 50k miles you'd be at 100k in just over two years of ownership. If your really looking for 10 years of driving it with an end mileage of over 250k miles the 50i may not be the best for dependability given its history.

Just look at the facts, most of the x5 in the bay at my dealership here in Chicago are 50i's. They may be small issues or just service related but again with both my dealer and good friend BMW mechanic telling me to stay away then I trust their judgment and won't roll the dice. Theirs a reason why many here don't trust that motor all that much and that's fine theirs a few cars that will probably never give a few members a problem and that's fantastic but when BMW tells you that it was a problematic motor well I'm not going to argue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

But problematic may mean that 5-10% have some issue, whereas reading on the forums would give you the impression that 75% do. I personally am heartened that several other 50i owners are chiming in here with minimal issues to report.

Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. IMO as long as you know what you are getting into, get what you want and deal with whatever comes your way.
I am not afraid that one day something MIGHT go wrong. I am enjoying the sh!t outta this car every day. If something breaks, I'll fix it.
e90 328i - sold

Last edited by heatmizr; 02-10-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #17
Blacksage
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I am overthinking it at this point, but what is scary is that if there is truly an abundance of 50i's at the dealer their numbers compared to the 35i are much smaller.

My 10 year plan might be too far out. I think I'll consider hanging on to something for 5 years and moving on after that. I have a history of dumping vehicles quickly anyway. With that said I could deal with picking one up at 40K miles and selling it or trading it for next to nothing with 140K on the clock. I'm not too concerned with the maintenance, excluding tires and oil changes 3K or 4K a year is doable.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
But problematic may mean that 5-10% have some issue, whereas reading on the forums would give you the impression that 75% do. I personally am heartened that several other 50i owners are chiming in here with minimal issues to report.

Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. IMO as long as you know what you are getting into, get what you want and deal with whatever comes your way.
I am not afraid that one day something MIGHT go wrong. I am enjoying the sh!t outta this car every day. If something breaks, I'll fix it.
Hey I'm just quoting the dealer, plus the funny thing was while I was their and we where talking about this issue a 50i pulled into the shop and the guy asked to have the engine topped off, and while they where doing it the car was leaking it out as fast as they where putting it in and the guy left with a giant puddle of oil under the car, the shop Forman told me that the customer was out of warranty and could not afford to fix the engine with the amount needed to repair it. So he's just driving it.

I posted a pic of the oil trail on another forum a bit back. I'm not just saying what things look like I'm just sharing that for a used daily driver the dealership told me not to look at the 50i that was from my service advisor who works with these trucks daily. Not sales.

If you want a 50i which to me you already maid up your mind go for it, it may be in the shop a lot and it may not. Do what makes you happy it's your money, you asked people's opinions and many here have shared them just Make sure you have a warranty, The percentage of having problems is high in the 50i that's a fact, so for a daily driver you have to be prepared to have a back up if you do run into issues and money in the bank if your out of warranty.

This was my wife's car and she didn't need 400hp and the reliability of the N55 is well known so it was enough for me to make the deal. The few times I'd need to gas it didn't justify the high percentage of need massive or expensive repair bills down the road.

I for one do keep the car for a long time and 10 years is no stretch with 120k miles mine has just needed the transfer case replaced and that is a well known weak link in these trucks. Otherwise she has been solid. Routine maintenance otherwise.

If I want 400hp I can always buy the Dinan tune and get the 50i performance but even then the max speed limit where I live is between 35 and 45 and even the highway is 55mph limit so it would suck to have all those ponies and not use em.

Good luck in your hunt. One thing you can do is ask for the service records of the truck your searching for and look to see if it's problematic, if it seems to be in the shop every month run away if the truck has been just in for oil changes and the like you may have a truck that will give you less problems you never know. Just one way to spot a lemon.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #19
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yep you nailed it. If you can't afford any maintenance on your vehicle, better buy one that won't need any. Neither X5 would be in this category IMO.

OP - do not buy the X5 from the guy -C- saw at the dealer.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #20
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Anytime I hear the words X5 and daily driver in the same sentence, my wallet withers away into obscurity. Get a diesel if you are going to drive daily and you will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #21
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
Yep you nailed it. If you can't afford any maintenance on your vehicle, better buy one that won't need any. Neither X5 would be in this category IMO.

OP - do not buy the X5 from the guy -C- saw at the dealer.
Lol yea I feel sorry for anybody that gets that truck!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #22
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
We had about $13k of repairs done on our 2013 50i X5 in the last year. It has about 85k miles.

We love that beast and would drive it for another 100k miles if it was reliable, but at this point we are going to trade it in for a new one soon since our warranty and maintenance coverage are about to expire.
Appreciate 0