XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Alot of Issues with my recent purchase 2013 x5 xdrive 35i

Hey guys i recently bought a 2013 x5 35i and already it looks like im having issues. I was only able to drive for one week before i had to bring it into the dealerships shop i bought it from to get checked out.

I failed CT emissions because the systems were not ready and i drove the car for 400-500 miles already before i went. I pulled up a code for the Valvetronic Servomotor failing and they replaced it (took them 7 days) and now they disconnected my battery and there was a few codes that came up such as the Fuel rail pressure sensor is rich and the Servomotor for the transfer case came up. Cleared them and never came back.

I just picked up the car today only to find out before i picked it up it was shutting off after idle and driving for a short while and so far from the time i picked it up it shut off on me once 2 hrs after i picked it up but started back up. i cleared all the codes and drove the car about 70 miles and nothing came up since. No codes are coming up no check engine light, nothing.

Does anybody know why the motor what shut off or what i can test?

The car has warranty but these guys did more damage than fixed it and i dont trust the shop or the dealership anymore with the car. Any advice on what i can on this situation as well would help. There is alot more that happened with the shop but ill leave those details out unless it would help.

Thanks in advance and I love this car but im hoping to get help before i bring it to a mechanic blind.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyL3nTFoRcE View Post
Hey guys i recently bought a 2013 x5 35i and already it looks like im having issues. I was only able to drive for one week before i had to bring it into the dealerships shop i bought it from to get checked out.

I failed CT emissions because the systems were not ready and i drove the car for 400-500 miles already before i went. I pulled up a code for the Valvetronic Servomotor failing and they replaced it (took them 7 days) and now they disconnected my battery and there was a few codes that came up such as the Fuel rail pressure sensor is rich and the Servomotor for the transfer case came up. Cleared them and never came back.

I just picked up the car today only to find out before i picked it up it was shutting off after idle and driving for a short while and so far from the time i picked it up it shut off on me once 2 hrs after i picked it up but started back up. i cleared all the codes and drove the car about 70 miles and nothing came up since. No codes are coming up no check engine light, nothing.

The car has warranty but these guys did more damage than fixed it and i dont trust the shop or the dealership anymore with the car. Any advice on what i can on this situation as well would help. There is alot more that happened with the shop but ill leave those details out unless it would help.

Thanks in advance and I love this car but im hoping to get help before i bring it to a mechanic blind.
Your probably right, if it took them 7 days for the valvtronic motor they probably screwed something else up.

Any other dealers you can take it to? Where I live theirs probably 8 BMW dealers within an hours drive so it's not hard to shop around.

If it's under warranty use it to its fullest extent!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Your probably right, if it took them 7 days for the valvtronic motor they probably screwed something else up.

Any other dealers you can take it to? Where I live theirs probably 8 BMW dealers within an hours drive so it's not hard to shop around.

If it's under warranty use it to its fullest extent!
Its weird the first time they replaced they said it was a malfunctioned part so they had to replace it again. According to the dealership I bought it form not BMW by the way, they said its under their 60 day warranty so thats the only dealership i can take it to. I find that to be bull but im not sure if its true. I dont remember in the paperwork it saying that. Im thinking about just taking the hit and bringing it to one of my shops i trust and pay to get it working correctly.

Im hoping to pass emissions soon although it says one system is not ready but we shall see.

Im also consulting my lawyer for the lemon law and see when or how it applies. Today the car didnt shut off but the rpms were at 500-600 and it felt like it was going to but didnt. again no codes
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Is the car under factory warranty or not? Bad idea to have it repaired at a non-BMW facility..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Is the car under factory warranty or not? Bad idea to have it repaired at a non-BMW facility..
no its at 54k and warranty ended at 50k. It sucks because my 3rd party warranty doesnt start till the dealers wrrantys finished which is 60 days

im going to talk to my lawyer and see if he can go over my contract and see if i can bring were i want and if it applies under lemon if issues keep happening
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Lemon law only applies to new cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Lemon law only applies to new cars.
great i thought it was used cars as well from what i was told for NY NJ and CT
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:58 AM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

I would speak to the owner of the dealer. In writing explain all the issues and timelines, and explain how you were told by the sales people that the car was flawless, as I'm sure they did several times. I would explain how you spent a ton of money and you've had to take time out of your schedule and away from your family to deal with issues that shouldn't be there on a 3 year old car. Ask them to repair the car for free and to give you a shiny new loaner (if they haven't done so already). Make sure you do it all in writing.

If he says anything but yes, get your attorney to send the letter.
      02-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #9
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
While it may be immoral, there's nothing illegal about a sales person telling a buyer that a car is in "flawless" condition. That's called puffery. Realtors do it often. Your only recourse against a dealership or sales person is if they make a factually inaccurate (fraudulent) statement, such as "this is a one owner car" but turns out to have had three, or they say "this is an eight cylinder engine", but it only has six. As it stands, it appears the dealership is under no obligation to help you, except for goodwill. It's commonly said, if you want to know the condition of a car, don't ask the owner. Prior to purchase, if you're unsure what to look for, you need to get it checked out by someone who has no skin in the game.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 02-02-2017 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
I would speak to the owner of the dealer. In writing explain all the issues and timelines, and explain how you were told by the sales people that the car was flawless, as I'm sure they did several times. I would explain how you spent a ton of money and you've had to take time out of your schedule and away from your family to deal with issues that shouldn't be there on a 3 year old car. Ask them to repair the car for free and to give you a shiny new loaner (if they haven't done so already). Make sure you do it all in writing.

If he says anything but yes, get your attorney to send the letter.
I can try that and see what happens they offered to help me the other day so im going to take full advantage of their 60 day warranty they have with me. I just wish i could bring to another shop who wont break something more than what is supposed to be fixed.

Quote:
While it may be immoral, there's nothing illegal about a sales person telling a buyer that a car is in "flawless" condition. That's called puffery. Realtors do it often. Your only recourse against a dealership or sales person is if they make a factually inaccurate (fraudulent) statement, such as "this is a one owner car" but turns out to have had three, or they say "this is an eight cylinder engine", but it only has six. As it stands, it appears the dealership is under no obligation to help you, except for goodwill. It's commonly said, if you want to know the condition of a car, don't ask the owner. Prior to purchase, if you're unsure what to look for, you need to get it checked out by someone who has no skin in the game.
Well the advertisement was off on some features such as heated steering wheel and headlight washers and iphone connection but i didnt notice it until after. It didnt have that stuff and a bit more but i was ok with it since the deal was made

At the time of looking at the car everything checked out and i even took it for a test drive and it was running great the average mpg was low and it didnt click the computer must have been reset before the test drive or battery disconnected. Before i picked it up, since they promised to polish a few spots that needed a polish and never did it, I noticed the Computer system was reset again but being that there was no lights or anything i drove the car hundreds of miles before I failed emissions and thats when i ran the obd scanner and found issues.

I know im most likely at a loss with them but i needed to vent since they have been giving me issues and for some reason not giving my contract paperwork that i was promised a copy of.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the aforementioned, if a seller promises anything, no matter how small, get it in writing at the time of the transaction. Always print a copy of the advertisement before they take it down, in case you need it to prove material misrepresentations. Never leave a completed transaction without copies of all paperwork. There's no reason for everything to not be provided to you on the spot. No matter how experienced we all think we are, we all learn new lessons after buying a car; some lessons being more expensive than others.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 02-02-2017 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the aforementioned, if a seller promises anything, no matter how small, get it in writing at the time of the transaction. Always print a copy of the advertisement before they take it down, in case you need it to prove material misrepresentations. Never leave a completed transaction without copies of all paperwork. There's no reason for everything to not be provided to you on the spot. No matter how experienced we all think we are, we all learn new lessons after buying a car; some lessons being more expensive than others.
yea i printed out the ad the carfax and i also called the bank i financed with to send me the paperwork they at least had.

Im still waiting for the dealer to send me the paperwork ive asked multiple times only told once it will be sent and other times they were "not there" or left early. I really dont know what they are trying to hide i read everything and i want to double check my warranty stuff but i cant since they did not give me any paperwork other than one contract

I learned alot from this trust me. Next car purchase i will be mroe strict about the paperwork and bring up all my concerns pre-purchase.

thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
You're welcome. Best of luck getting the rest of this sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Where'd you buy the car? Are you taking it back to that dealer for service? Honestly, just worth bringing to BMW and sucking up the $$ to get it done right.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Where'd you buy the car? Are you taking it back to that dealer for service? Honestly, just worth bringing to BMW and sucking up the $$ to get it done right.
its a 3rd party dealer in NY they sell a ton of erupean cars from 25k+ i thought the car would be good since they seemed like a reputable place

Im most likely taking the hit and gettint it checked and worked on by bmw or one of my trusted mechanic shops
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #16
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
Your best bet is to find a competent independent BMW technician in your area, with good reviews, and steer very clear of any dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #17
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
its a 3rd party dealer in NY they sell a ton of erupean cars from 25k+ i thought the car would be good since they seemed like a reputable place

Im most likely taking the hit and gettint it checked and worked on by bmw or one of my trusted mechanic shops
They are still Manheim cars. A lot of good cars at these dealers, but a lot of crap too. My point is that they probably aren't the best service center, get good with a SA at a dealership and go there. All repair prices are negotiable at bmw

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #18
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I suggest taking it into a trusted independent garage that can check the entire car top to bottom. Take that list over to the place where you bought it from, then have them perform all that work.

Or, cut your losses, and trade it in on something else and be done with this headache. My ex-boss bought a 2016 Jaguar, brand new off the lot. That thing has so many issues, and it kept having to go back into the dealership time and time again. The dealership refused to give him his money back. But they were always ready to look at the car again and fix it for him. He finally cut his losses, and traded it in against a Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #19
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Check your state emissions lawyers,...they may be required to sell a car that is able to pass emissions! in other words,...per se' in VA, a dealer can only sell a vehicle that has a current emissions sticker!
      02-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

I forget but isn't emission related stuff covered for 8 years and 100k miles or something like that?

I forget where I heard that. But you may be covered regardless and should not have to pay out of pocket
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #21
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Check your state emissions lawyers,...they may be required to sell a car that is able to pass emissions! in other words,...per se' in VA, a dealer can only sell a vehicle that has a current emissions sticker!
Ill have to check since i bought it in ny and registering it in ct emission is different from wwhat ive been told but something i might consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I forget but isn't emission related stuff covered for 8 years and 100k miles or something like that?

I forget where I heard that. But you may be covered regardless and should not have to pay out of pocket
they are paying for all the repairs so far under their warranty for 60days. my car is currently in the shop as of sunday and i dont know how long it will be there for. it kept throwing the p1030 or valvetronic motor. they told me on tuesday the dme needed to be updated since i was having dme issues. and they are most likely replacing the HPFP since thecar started shutting off after idleing and sound as if the pump wasnt priming
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #22
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Don't know when you bought it but if you were within the time frame, I would have returned the car under New York's buyer's remorse law.
Appreciate 0