XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

06-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Tarthuss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

X5M X6M at M Power Tour

When I got my invitation to attend the M Power Tour by mail, I quickly jumped to the phone and reserved my spot.

On the phone I was informed that I would get a chance to see in person the new X5M as well as the X6M. Being a giant leap for BMW as a company I was anxious to see what the final result look like, needless to say, drive like.

As I approached the sign in table I saw the two new members of the M family in all their aggressiveness. The X6M in a blazing russet color and the X5M in a shocking electric color, both with a trademark M wide stance, as well as bumper stylings, hood, and interior.

Totally missing the sign in table I took a small detour to take a closer inspection of these two SUVs that stood so defiantly on the delicate rubber mats underneath them, it felt kind of like they were saying "I'm ready when you are" when looked upon. Like they were ready to take on ANYTHING. Any road, any curve, any off-road rally venture, all beneath them.

The interior was superb, still very much X5 and X6 but with the lineage of M seen in every minor detail. Extended leather, Carbon fiber leather trim, the famous tri-color stitching, the signature tachometer, and of course, the seats.

I finally made my way to the sign in table and started the conference. It was interesting. The presenter tells the story of the M superbrand as he sits next to an original LeMans M1 and a new LeMans M3, as to accentuate the color of his story. He then explained the future...oh the future... the dreaded future by every M enthusiast: turbo.

He started out by saying that both the X5M and X6M already had turbo systems in their M engines and that the rest would soon follow. Then he gave the excuse (or should I say reason) why they are going turbo. "Future environmental regulations are going to prohibit us from continuing to reach what we want to achieve in the manner we have achieved it thus far. Turbo, not your regular turbo, Turbo a la M will allow us to keep providing you the great power and performance you seek while meeting environmental regulations that we know will be put into place"
Then he gave a detailed explanation of how this new turbo M engine works and I'm saying I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, it may work. Especially if environmental regulations really are going to dictate certain restrictions.

After that a couple of questions were made. An audience member asked about the comparison between the double clutch transmissions between the Audi's and the BMWs. The presenter (who by the way works as an actual engineer in M) explained to detail how the audi uses two separate cams for their transmission, whereas BMW uses one, and he added "like the Buggatti Veyron".

After that I jumped into an e93 M3 and cruised around soaking up the Sun and pushing the car to the fullest (in the safest way possible).

When I went back to return the car, the team was putting all their cars away and I got to hear the sound of the engine for the X5M. You know...that turbo M engine? I gotta say... I heard no turbo there.

Overall it was a great experience and I highly recommend it to whoever gets invited.

I have to admit it was a little weird, BMW taking the leap to a performance SUV seemed...unnecessary, but I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. For now I guess only time will prove if BMW is making the correct decision, both with the turbo and SUV. Still, history has proven them right so far in every respect.

P.S. Today I learned M is not considered a subdivision of BMW, but a SUPERBRAND.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tarthuss; 06-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: pictures
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Great writeup! More writeups and photos here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271960

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263692

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270621

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270592

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270891
      06-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Great pics and review, but you know, that X5 M does look a tad out of place with that super aggressive front etc... Not that I care whether M builds or not, if there is a mkt then fine, but IŽd take the ML63 AMG over this one any day.
      06-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Nice write-up but I don't care what the engineer says, a turbo'd V6 with some 7000-red line and max power at 5800 or so won't be an //M, I don't care what badge they slap on the back.....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Nice write-up but I don't care what the engineer says, a turbo'd V6 with some 7000-red line and max power at 5800 or so won't be an //M, I don't care what badge they slap on the back.....

Cheers,
e46e92
Hahaha!! Then it must be an AMG.
      06-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
BV 50ANA
Private
Rep
Drives: G06 M50D

hi,
do u have a foto with the side lights from the new x5m in m3 style?
thx
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

oh yeah!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
DOCTOR 3VIL