XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-09-2023, 05:42 AM   #1
Juniinhosk8
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M E70

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Temp Difference X5M: Possible Intercooler Pump Failure?

Greetings, everyone.

I am from Brazil, and I recently purchased a BMW X5M E70, a long-time dream of mine since I first saw it back in 2010.

I am currently working on fixing some minor issues with the car, such as the electric water pump for the turbo and the cooling hoses for the turbo. It's a process of getting a 13-year-old car back into shape.

While monitoring the readings on BIMMMER LINK, I have noticed a significant temperature difference in the air readings before the throttle bodies. Bank 2 tends to be around 20 degrees hotter than Bank 1. I have been wondering if this could be a potential indication that one of the electric pumps in the intercooler system might be malfunctioning.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice regarding this temperature difference and if it is indeed a sign of a possible issue with the intercooler pumps. If so, any suggestions on how to diagnose and address this problem would be immensely helpful.

In the image, we have the engine running in the garage above, and the car driving on the road below. Notice the difference in air temperatures.

Thank you all for your attention and support.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniinhosk8 View Post
Greetings, everyone.

I am from Brazil, and I recently purchased a BMW X5M E70, a long-time dream of mine since I first saw it back in 2010.

I am currently working on fixing some minor issues with the car, such as the electric water pump for the turbo and the cooling hoses for the turbo. It's a process of getting a 13-year-old car back into shape.

While monitoring the readings on BIMMMER LINK, I have noticed a significant temperature difference in the air readings before the throttle bodies. Bank 2 tends to be around 20 degrees hotter than Bank 1. I have been wondering if this could be a potential indication that one of the electric pumps in the intercooler system might be malfunctioning.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice regarding this temperature difference and if it is indeed a sign of a possible issue with the intercooler pumps. If so, any suggestions on how to diagnose and address this problem would be immensely helpful.

In the image, we have the engine running in the garage above, and the car driving on the road below. Notice the difference in air temperatures.

Thank you all for your attention and support.
Doubt it, the pumps are on the linbus system and will typically throw a code as the ECU knows the rpm and current of the pumps at all times.

I have noticed the same temp variance on the n63. S63 has additional coolant pump and radiator but still feeds the intercoolers from the main pump located by the bank 1 intercooler so coolant only has to travel a few inches before reaching the intercooler for bank 1

Bank2 has to travel about 6 feet of tubing before reaching the intercooler for bank 2, allowing it to heat up from engine compartment heat before hitting the intercooler.

I have found wrapping the intercooler coolant feed lines in pipe insulation wrap helps keep bank2 closer to bank1.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 05:48 AM   #3
Juniinhosk8
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M E70

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Doubt it, the pumps are on the linbus system and will typically throw a code as the ECU knows the rpm and current of the pumps at all times.

I have noticed the same temp variance on the n63. S63 has additional coolant pump and radiator but still feeds the intercoolers from the main pump located by the bank 1 intercooler so coolant only has to travel a few inches before reaching the intercooler for bank 1

Bank2 has to travel about 6 feet of tubing before reaching the intercooler for bank 2, allowing it to heat up from engine compartment heat before hitting the intercooler.

I have found wrapping the intercooler coolant feed lines in pipe insulation wrap helps keep bank2 closer to bank1.
welcome for the response. I will check that during the next cooling system maintenance.
Appreciate 0