XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Tantura
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Alternate means of charging battery?

I am working outside of the country and put my X6 in storage.
I *thought* I had someone responsible starting it every couple of weeks however they turned out to be completely irresponsible and untrustworthy.

Anyway long story short I had a friend go to take it out of storage and the battery is dead. It is pulled in at an angle, nose-first and almost kissing the end of the storage unit.
Apparently it is wedged in there tight enough that the people from BMW Roadside Assistance won't touch it.

I hate for it to just sit for another 4-5 months and was wondering if there was a way maybe charge the battery through a power port, taillight or something??

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
curtcherry
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6

The only thing I could think off is to go get a small generator. The one I have is light enough to lift with one hand. Some of them (like mine) come with a charging cord to charge batteries. One of your friends would have to hang out with the car while it charges for an hour or more to start the car. Long term, Car Dealers use a small solar panel and plug it into a cigarette lighter. Maybe you could rig it so it hangs off an awening while you are gone????
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

If battery is truly dead then a lot of the electronics will not work. Can't you just hand push it out ?
In the future maybe a high quality trickle charger would be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Tantura
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Thank you so much for the ideas!

The battery is dead as a doornail I believe.
I thought about the cig lighter idea but I thought the power ports on the X6 were disabled when the ignition is off. If that is not the case I will send a ctek charger and long extension cord to my friend but I fear that wont work.

I don't remember if it is pushable... I think there may be no room to even open the hood. It was a bad idea putting there but at the time I was out of options and my plane was leaving in 6 hours. lol... I seem to remember doing a 20 point turn to get it in there just right so I'd have room to hide my bike behind it.

After posting I also considered having the battery replaced. Is the X6 battery in the trunk under the spare? I called my dealer today and they seemed very helpful. I'm trying to coordinate with them now to see if they can help.

In the future 1) trickle charger when out of the country and 2) don't trust a bonehead with your baby...

Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0