XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
A-E
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 TT 5.0

Garage List
2009 X6 TT V8  [0.00]
Lowering an X6 TT V8?

Hello everyone...First thread...

Has anyone lowered their X6 TT V8? I was told by H&R that since my truck has "self leveling" that it cannot be lowered? Any suggestions?

Al & Eds Autosound
West Hollywood,CA
www.AE54.com
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-E View Post
Hello everyone...First thread...

Has anyone lowered their X6 TT V8? I was told by H&R that since my truck has "self leveling" that it cannot be lowered? Any suggestions?
Don't think that is true because H&R has two separate kits. One for self-leveling rear suspension which you have and one set without self-leveling rear suspension. I called H&R about this previously and they told me that their kit for X6s with self-leveling rear suspension only lower the front and the rear suspension with auto level and lower itself if the front is lowered.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

If you lower the SAV down to a wagon what is the point of the ride height? You should have gone with a wagon.

Also, adjusting suspension compromises the DPC as you alter center of gravity. A lot of money to spend to remove handling characteristics.
      08-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
If you lower the SAV down to a wagon what is the point of the ride height? You should have gone with a wagon.

Also, adjusting suspension compromises the DPC as you alter center of gravity. A lot of money to spend to remove handling characteristics.
Actually, handling will improve because you are lowering center of gravity, thus reducing body lean in corners, even though there is not much to start with if you have sport package. I am going to lower mine but only 1 - 1.5 inches to reduce the amount of 4x4 wheel gap.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
BMWS1000RR
Rep
Drives: Saphire Black

+1 Shenard. CG is crucial in regards to body roll and contact patch. Contact patch is compromised when there is to high of a CG, thus reducing safety actually in an emergency situation. Why do you think sports cars handle so well?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

The wonder of x6 is good handling despite the high CG. So u have great handling in the snow & with high seating position enhanced forward view.
If u lower it, u compromise the ability to use Xdrive in deep winter snow w/ DPC.
If u don't need high seating position & Xdrive, why not get M5 Touring ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Actually, handling will improve because you are lowering center of gravity, thus reducing body lean in corners, even though there is not much to start with if you have sport package. I am going to lower mine but only 1 - 1.5 inches to reduce the amount of 4x4 wheel gap.
I would normally agree with a regular car. However, the computers are calibrated for the truck's weight and height. Altering height does not compensate for the computers. Does this not matter?

i.e. Suppose the truck is lowered and you are in a hard corner, the anti-roll won't have to work as hard because there is less roll even though inertia is there, DPC uses roll as one of many inputs and will not adjust wheel power accordingly as much because the turn does not appear to be as severe.

I could be wrong but that is how I thought it worked.
      08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Its not as if the X6 neeeds to be lowered in order to corner well. Its solely a question of appearance. When I first got mine, my first thought was to lower it. Now, more than a year later, I'm acclimated to the way it looks and pleased with it- even the empty space in the wheel wells. The risk of ruining the handling or the ride comfort, to me at least, over rides any potential benefit of lowering it. Besides, do all you want for appearance around the wheels and you've still got brake dust unless you wash it every day.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Lower Away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
The wonder of x6 is good handling despite the high CG. So u have great handling in the snow & with high seating position enhanced forward view.
If u lower it, u compromise the ability to use Xdrive in deep winter snow w/ DPC.
If u don't need high seating position & Xdrive, why not get M5 Touring ?
Lower away if there's no deep snow. Or u don't drive x6 in winter. I love xDrive w/dpc in the snow!
By compromise i mean it's not required to work as hard or not at all.
Though lowering will turn ur front bumper into a plough in deep snow, so it wouldn't matter because u get stuck not because of lack of traction, but because u end up ploughing anow!l
Appreciate 0