XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Sport Mode. .what a blast!!!

I didn't really played with the sport mode up to yesterday. . I know it's not wise to use it in town (lots of radars) but used it anywayand it makes such a big difference. .In sport mode I can feel what BMW really means. . .curious thing, after reversing today to automatic. . the car behaved for a while like it still runs on sport mode. .then, it got back to auto mood. I didn't imagine that sport mode is so different from automatic.

PS: Still have to get used to those thingies on the steering wheel. .they are a bit slippery. I appreciate they thickened the wheel in that area, but don't know why they used a slippery coating on those. ..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I didn't really played with the sport mode up to yesterday. . I know it's not wise to use it in town (lots of radars) but used it anywayand it makes such a big difference. .In sport mode I can feel what BMW really means. . .curious thing, after reversing today to automatic. . the car behaved for a while like it still runs on sport mode. .then, it got back to auto mood. I didn't imagine that sport mode is so different from automatic.

PS: Still have to get used to those thingies on the steering wheel. .they are a bit slippery. I appreciate they thickened the wheel in that area, but don't know why they used a slippery coating on those. ..
BMW doesn't use any type of slippery coating on the shift paddles, it's your

Just kidding...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Ok, it's just the aluminium then. .would have preffered more grip for fingertips on those spoons.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Ok, it's just the aluminium then. .would have preffered more grip for fingertips on those spoons.
They stuck spoons into your steering wheel ????

Man I would go and complain!

Yeah I know what you mean about the slippery shift paddles, that's one thing I didn't like about them when I was test driving the X6.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
They stuck spoons into your steering wheel ????

Man I would go and complain!

Yeah I know what you mean about the slippery shift paddles, that's one thing I didn't like about them when I was test driving the X6.

My wheel is already just enough high above the dash (a milimiter or so) . .so I can see the dash in full . . the seat is at lowest. I am a tall guy but never drove with (both) my hands so high on the wheel . .like a soccer mum with goggles and a tall hairdo and funky brutal lipstick in an SUV., to have the fingers in comfy position to drive in sports mode. . . If BMW did this fancy with paddles for folks with money that fantasize about F1, they should have made paddles that fit regular guys that eat burgers (like we all do on a freakin' looong trip on a highway and there's no other option than fukin' MacDonald) and don't wear racing gloves after lunch. ..,. not F1 racers that earn zilions for that championship, and are wired into the right racing position to get their fingers and body work the proper way for real racing. . .Yes, the paddles are slippery. . .even if you washed your hands in the last hour, after lunch at the nearby highway fast food. .
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

top paddle is for down shifting with your thumb, while your fingers r wrapped around the wheel. how can ur thumb slip off if palm & base of ur fingers r grabbing the wheel? finger tips r on the down shift paddle behind thewheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Huh? Downshifting is ok with the thumbs. .upshifting is awkward with the middle fingers. I usually flash them off the window or for some other purposes in bed with girlfriend. Never used them on the wheel.
Appreciate 0