XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
SteveL42
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5D

X5d Electrical system malfunction

Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this, or a good place to start troubleshooting. I have a 2013 BMW x5d with about 90,000 miles on it that started throwing errors for just about every module. It generally starts with an EDC error (Electronic Dampening Control), then other modules might chime in (Tire pressure malfunction, ABS, etc.) then a "Electrical System Malfunction" message.

I shot some video I can show if it helps. The first time it happened I read all the modules with my Foxwell NT-510 and most had communications faults, and of course it worked fine while I had it hooked up.

It still drives, blinkers can be intermittent, and the stereo and display drop out and come back, but the engine seems unaffected.

Any tips on how to narrow down the issue? Thanks! I did put a logging DMM on the battery and drove it - battery voltage looks good, little over 15V for a few minutes then seems to settle in at 14.6 or so while driving. I have more data on that as well.

SteveL

Last edited by SteveL42; 06-09-2020 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I would check the ground strap located on drivers side down low by the steering rack, do a goggle search on e70 ground strap location and click on images for more info. There is one in the back too by the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
I changed the ground strap on The Horse.
Was not a quick plug and play operation. A lot involved, and then when you finally get to exchanging the strap that was quite the feat. Will only be slightly easier if you have thin forearms. I did a thread on my travails with it.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...t=Ground+strap
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
SteveL42
Rep

I can check it, but hard starting, engine issues, charging issues would be indicative of ground strap failure, no? It starts strong, and runs fine.

Doing a google search, I only see the pics for the 35i engine - nothing for the diesel.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
SteveL42
Rep

Based what I read on another board, I checked in the tailgate area, on the right side and removed the little storage well. Underneath I found an electronics module and about 1" of water at the bottom. I have removed the PCB from the module and cleaned the sight corrosion with isopropyl alcohol, and will dry out the well.

Where is this water coming from? I need to correct the leak! Damage to the PCB is slight, it hasn't been in water long, and I suspect (hope) it's OK - will know when I put it back together.

Found this, will investigate further...

Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL42 View Post
Based what I read on another board, I checked in the tailgate area, on the right side and removed the little storage well. Underneath I found an electronics module and about 1" of water at the bottom. I have removed the PCB from the module and cleaned the sight corrosion with isopropyl alcohol, and will dry out the well.

Where is this water coming from? I need to correct the leak! Damage to the PCB is slight, it hasn't been in water long, and I suspect (hope) it's OK - will know when I put it back together.

Found this, will investigate further...

This sounds like the issue I had not long ago Check your roof drains. You can drop your headliner in the back and check to see if you have a pinched roof drain hose or it may be clogged you can pour water in the drain to see if it drains properly
      06-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
SteveL42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
This sounds like the issue I had not long ago Check your roof drains. You can drop your headliner in the back and check to see if you have a pinched roof drain hose or it may be clogged you can pour water in the drain to see if it drains properly
Where are the roof drains? The video discusses water getting in via the cable boots that connect the hatch to the body, and the tail light gaskets. I was going to order up a pair of new gaskets, and put some RTV around the cable boots. Is there somewhere else I should check?

I put the cleaned module back and it appears to be better - short test drive had no issues. I still have some trouble codes, the driver's seat FAS reports "E444 - SMFA K-CAN line fault", and clearing it does no good. The telephone module is similar - I need to download the remaining codes from the Foxwell.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Where are the roof drains? The video discusses water getting in via the cable boots that connect the hatch to the body, and the tail light gaskets. I was going to order up a pair of new gaskets, and put some RTV around the cable boots. Is there somewhere else I should check?

I put the cleaned module back and it appears to be better - short test drive had no issues. I still have some trouble codes, the driver's seat FAS reports "E444 - SMFA K-CAN line fault", and clearing it does no good. The telephone module is similar - I need to download the remaining codes from the Foxwell.

Thanks!
Pour water down the roof drains first to check for drainage. You open the roof then the drain pan is to the outside of the sliding part on each side.

The front goes down the a pillars on each side and drains right behind the front tires in the fender. Then the back goes out the top near the trunk struts, you'll see the outside piece with the flap. If I had to guess it's you rear passenger roof drain that is either clogged or they pinched it between a wire loom (like mine was).

I had to replace the tcu connector right near the battery because the connector was rotted out and shorting, causing my battery drain
Attached Images

06-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
SteveL42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Pour water down the roof drains first to check for drainage. You open the roof then the drain pan is to the outside of the sliding part on each side.
I will do this this weekend and see what's going on. I have everything dried and the bulk of the electrical issues are gone, but I did get an intermittent (3 times) "Reduced Engine Power" warning during about an hour long test drive yesterday. Nothing noticeable from the engine, and it cleared after about 10-15 seconds every time.

Thanks for your help, in a MUCH better place today than I was 2 days ago. Still some more troubleshooting to go, but I was very worried about a trip to the dealer with multi-kilo-buck computers being replaced...

Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I will do this this weekend and see what's going on. I have everything dried and the bulk of the electrical issues are gone, but I did get an intermittent (3 times) "Reduced Engine Power" warning during about an hour long test drive yesterday. Nothing noticeable from the engine, and it cleared after about 10-15 seconds every time.

Thanks for your help, in a MUCH better place today than I was 2 days ago. Still some more troubleshooting to go, but I was very worried about a trip to the dealer with multi-kilo-buck computers being replaced...

Steve
No problem man! I really hope that's the issue. I haven't heard of water getting in anywhere else, and I had a good 2-3" of water in my left side chubby area in the trunk splashing around (mind you RIGHT next to the battery). It was an issue I'm guessing from when it was built in the factory since when I bought my x5d it was having the same issue. Probably why I got it at such a good price
      06-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
SteveL42
Rep

Back to square one. Car is still showing electrical fault, and everything electrical seems to throw faults. Tried a new battery today, no difference, and old battery (4 years) tests almost 100% - 925CCA or so and about 2 milliohm internal resistance.

I am going to pull the module that had the slightest water damage and clean it once more - what other modules could have been hit by a leaky drain? Where else should I look? It seems to be heat related now, once it's cool it works for the first 30min or so then goes to pot...

UGH!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #12
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Back to square one. Car is still showing electrical fault, and everything electrical seems to throw faults. Tried a new battery today, no difference, and old battery (4 years) tests almost 100% - 925CCA or so and about 2 milliohm internal resistance.

I am going to pull the module that had the slightest water damage and clean it once more - what other modules could have been hit by a leaky drain? Where else should I look? It seems to be heat related now, once it's cool it works for the first 30min or so then goes to pot...

UGH!
Did you find the source of the leak?

So on the right you have your cubby panel that pulls out. If you're leaking from the right rear roof drain you want to take off the next panel in front of that and check if the insulation is wet over the wheel well. There will be more wires running through there. You can check there too.

In my case I had to replace my tcu connector because the water damage was pretty extreme and the dealership thought it would be smart to cake the connector with dielectric grease which only made it worse and corroded the connector.

Do you mind taking a picture of the module that had water damage?