XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
diesle1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

New member...Help with burning metallic smell

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum.. I just purchased a 2010 x5m with 16k on it. The first night I pulled into the garage I noticed a burning metallic smell coming from under the hood.
I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't duplicate the smell. After a lengthy discussion with a service manager he thinks that it's normal for there to be a smell due to the high heat from the turbos and placement of the cat. converters under the hood. I'm finding it hard to believe that any burning smell is normal. Can anyone shed some light on this for me??
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Forster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, S54 Mcoupe

Weird that the dealership just shrugged it off.... These vehicles have been recalled for faulty waterpumps that can overheat and cause smoldering of the pump. Worse case a fire, make sure that has been taken care of. Recall pertains all turbo V8s from 2008-2011. I just took mine in for replacement of the water pump. I was smelling the burning smell you described a lot and it was potent. However, since the new pump I still notice the smell it's just not as bad..
Hopefully someone can still chime in on this topic bc it does still worry me
      01-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
diesle1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Mine had the recall done a few days ago when I brought in for the smell. The smell is still pretty strong especially in a closed garage, same as it was before the recall. the service manager did not seem all that concerned and what really bugged me was his comment "if the turbo goes just bring it in, it's covered under warranty" what happens 2 years from now when my warranty is up, I would assume abnormally high heat is not helping the life of the turbos.
Appreciate 0