XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2011 BMW x5 35d 6031 Parking Brake Code

I recently purchased a 2011 X5 35d. I got it for a good price because it needed a little work. One of the things was new rear brakes.

I jacked the rear end up and pulled the parking brake button to put the brake on and it worked as normal. I went about loosening the caliper, carrier and the rotors and then went to turn the parking brake off and it would not go off. I pushed the button down, held the button down it did not do anything. Pushing the brake pedal, not pushing it, holding the button down for 5 seconds, release for 1 second and then up for 1 second and nothing. I could not get the parking brake to turn off, it still lit up red "Brake" on the dash. When I went to press the button it would just blink once fast and that was it.

I eventually found the emergency release in the trunk and used the tool to pull up the wire until I felt it break loose. After I did that I was able to get the passenger rotor off but the driver rotor was tough. I did hit it a few times with the hammer trying to break it free. Eventually I just pulled the rotor back and rotated the little gear on the parking brake with a screwdriver to loosen it enough to get the rotor off. Nothing looked broken just pretty rusted. Cleaned everything up and put the new brakes on no problem.

Now there is a yellow brake light on the dash. I looked up the code with ProTool and saw 6031 "Emergency Release Detected". I tried clearing it but it will not go away. Again I tried holding the parking brake button down 5 seconds, pause 1 second, up 5 seconds and did not work. I cleared all codes with ProTool, reset the EMF and the yellow light and code will not go away. I went under the trunk, unplugged the emf for a few minutes, there still is a code. When I open the door I can hear subtle clicks coming from the actuators but then the yellow warning light pops up on the dash.

So my question is how can I get the parking brake to just work again? To be honest I just purchased the car so I do not know if this was an issue before or just a coincidence. The few times I have used the parking brake it has worked. I'm not sure what else I could try but any suggestions are welcome, Thanks!
      03-03-2023, 03:30 AM   #2
tonyh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi, I have the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of it? Many thanks.

--tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 X5 35d. I got it for a good price because it needed a little work. One of the things was new rear brakes.

I jacked the rear end up and pulled the parking brake button to put the brake on and it worked as normal. I went about loosening the caliper, carrier and the rotors and then went to turn the parking brake off and it would not go off. I pushed the button down, held the button down it did not do anything. Pushing the brake pedal, not pushing it, holding the button down for 5 seconds, release for 1 second and then up for 1 second and nothing. I could not get the parking brake to turn off, it still lit up red "Brake" on the dash. When I went to press the button it would just blink once fast and that was it.

I eventually found the emergency release in the trunk and used the tool to pull up the wire until I felt it break loose. After I did that I was able to get the passenger rotor off but the driver rotor was tough. I did hit it a few times with the hammer trying to break it free. Eventually I just pulled the rotor back and rotated the little gear on the parking brake with a screwdriver to loosen it enough to get the rotor off. Nothing looked broken just pretty rusted. Cleaned everything up and put the new brakes on no problem.

Now there is a yellow brake light on the dash. I looked up the code with ProTool and saw 6031 "Emergency Release Detected". I tried clearing it but it will not go away. Again I tried holding the parking brake button down 5 seconds, pause 1 second, up 5 seconds and did not work. I cleared all codes with ProTool, reset the EMF and the yellow light and code will not go away. I went under the trunk, unplugged the emf for a few minutes, there still is a code. When I open the door I can hear subtle clicks coming from the actuators but then the yellow warning light pops up on the dash.

So my question is how can I get the parking brake to just work again? To be honest I just purchased the car so I do not know if this was an issue before or just a coincidence. The few times I have used the parking brake it has worked. I'm not sure what else I could try but any suggestions are welcome, Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I don't have a solution other than thououghly cleaning and attempting to cycle it as often as you can.

FWIW, I'm on my third E70 and based on that plus reading this forum for years I've deduced IN GENERAL: 1) If you rarely use the ebrake, you're more prone to have issues with it. 2) Consequently IF you use AUTO H all the time, as I do, you're less prone to issues.

I'm sure there are data points on the extremes of this, but on my first 07 E70 I rarely used the ebrake or AutoH and on the day I'm selling it the new owner pressed the ebrake and locked it up.

AutoH is one of those things I miss most when I get in a rental car or my wife's Honda.
      03-03-2023, 12:26 PM   #4
tonyh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks for your reply, about the ongoing what to do to keep it working. But last time when you had the problem with the yellow warning light, how did you put it back to work? I had tried the push down button 5 seconds trick but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I didn't fix it when it happened, I used the tool, then recommended new owner to go to the dealer b/c the car still had an oem extended warranty at the time.

Stumbled across this...have you gone through all of these? https://www.youcanic.com/bmw-electro...e-malfunction/

And make sure your brake fluid level isn't low.

Last edited by argento; 03-03-2023 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0