XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

05-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #287
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
I actually raised it back up a hair after a week of driving at that height. I was bottoming out over big dips and actually rubbed the inner fender arch on the rear lol...

My current settings are as follows:

Front - 15.75 from hub center to fender. 29.25 from ground. This is 9 inches from center bolt to the perch if you are measuring with the wheel off. 3 turns up from the picture.

Rear - 16 from hub center to fender. 29.5 from ground. This is only one turn off of the height in the picture where I rubbed.

My new height is more comfortable and much better for daily driving. It's amazing what that extra quarter inch did for comfort. Plus it still handles great. However I'm always on the quest for more lows aesthetically speaking so I might have to explore a different solution. I already know how I would do it, it's just a matter if I really want to. Most likely explore it once I finish off the build. Just have engine cover, exhaust, a gauge, brakes, and a 2013 X6M hood to go now.
Bagging it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #288
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryballz View Post
Perfect, thank you!
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
Bagging it?
The thought has definietly entered my mind. The car is half way there already with the back being bags and there is ample room under the trunk floor to house everything without sacrificing usability. The challenge is to do this correctly without sacrificing the handling at all. I would be using the kw shocks with it of course. It will really come down to figuring out the progressive rates of the kw front springs and the oem rear bags. Once that is figured out the rest is easy relatively speaking. You just have to make sure the daily drivable height of the bags is inflated to match the rates.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #289
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually raised it back up a hair after a week of driving at that height. I was bottoming out over big dips and actually rubbed the inner fender arch on the rear lol...

Front - 15.75 from hub center to fender. 29.25 from ground. This is 9 inches from center bolt to the perch if you are measuring with the wheel off. 3 turns up from the picture.

Rear - 16 from hub center to fender. 29.5 from ground. This is only one turn off of the height in the picture where I rubbed.

My new height is more comfortable and much better for daily driving. It's amazing what that extra quarter inch did for comfort. Plus it still handles great. However I'm always on the quest for more lows aesthetically speaking so I might have to explore a different solution. I already know how I would do it, it's just a matter if I really want to. Most likely explore it once I finish off the build. Just have engine cover, exhaust, a gauge, brakes, and a 2013 X6M hood to go now.
I what way did the ride change when you raised it?
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #290
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
In what way did the ride change when you raised it?
Suspension travel and more air in the rear bags to do their thing. I honestly wasn't expecting that much of a difference, but it really is striking. The nice thing is I now know I'm as low as 'pleasantly' possible. Still lower than KW's settings, which is 16.3.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #291
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No problem!

The thought has definietly entered my mind. The car is half way there already with the back being bags and there is ample room under the trunk floor to house everything without sacrificing usability. The challenge is to do this correctly without sacrificing the handling at all. I would be using the kw shocks with it of course. It will really come down to figuring out the progressive rates of the kw front springs and the oem rear bags. Once that is figured out the rest is easy relatively speaking. You just have to make sure the daily drivable height of the bags is inflated to match the rates.

I've thought of it too, the Airrex kit is also an option... though i'm not expecting wonderful things from there dampers.

Perhaps air is the way forward, but with 3rd row seating i'm very limited on space for air tanks and compressors.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #292
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Wow you were low! I am at 29.5 front and rear. I could drop it a quarter inch in front, but it has so little travel as it is that I will leave. Aesthetically, I don't think it would be noticeable. I get no rubbing where I am at.

I firmed up the ride 2 clicks over KW recommendation for my 20" winter wheels, but I have decided it is too firm with 22's. It's great on smooth roads, but a little harsh on broken or rough pavement. We'll see if going back to factory recommendations makes a difference. All the brake parts are here now, so that will get done this week, hopefully.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #293
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've thought of it too, the Airrex kit is also an option... though i'm not expecting wonderful things from there dampers.

Perhaps air is the way forward, but with 3rd row seating i'm very limited on space for air tanks and compressors.
Same here. That's why the KW dampers have to be part of the solution if I'm going to do it. There is definietly little to no room with the third row seats. My previous two X5's had the third row so I know exactly what you are talking about. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Wow you were low! I am at 29.5 front and rear. I could drop it a quarter inch in front, but it has so little travel as it is that I will leave. Aesthetically, I don't think it would be noticeable. I get no rubbing where I am at.

I firmed up the ride 2 clicks over KW recommendation for my 20" winter wheels, but I have decided it is too firm with 22's. It's great on smooth roads, but a little harsh on broken or rough pavement. We'll see if going back to factory recommendations makes a difference. All the brake parts are here now, so that will get done this week, hopefully.
Had to find out how low I could practically go.

Going back to the factory setting will definietly improve the ride. Nice to hear your brake saga is almost at an end. Can't wait to see some proper pics with your 22's.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #294
GcD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

spotted you in waikele the other day. looks naked with oem wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #295
094.8x5
Private
Rep
Drives: black on black on black

Looks great,,,what size wheels and tires ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #296
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GcD View Post
spotted you in waikele the other day. looks naked with oem wheels.
I know I know lol. Lip? Check. Diffuser? Check. Drop? Check. Nice exhaust tips? Check. Wheels? Le nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 094.8x5 View Post
Looks great,,,what size wheels and tires ?
The Morr's were 10.5 x 22 and 12 x 22. Sizes were 285/30/22 and 335/25/22.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #297
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Hi Kimo. Great thread!!! love what you are doing with the ride.
Quick question. With the settings you have here... I assume this is lower than the KW settings. Do you think these settings will be good for 22" wheels? Also, would you recommend the Camber arms you purchased? If so could you please pass of the part #?
I have the KW set sitting in the garage and install date is set for June 30th. I only want one shot at getting my ride stance set correctly as the place that I am getting the install done is quite expensive but well worth the $. I would prefer not to have to go back to change something down the road.

TIA for any info or suggestions you have

Quote:

05-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #298
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my911fixxx View Post
Hi Kimo. Great thread!!! love what you are doing with the ride.
Quick question. With the settings you have here... I assume this is lower than the KW settings. Do you think these settings will be good for 22" wheels? Also, would you recommend the Camber arms you purchased? If so could you please pass of the part #?
I have the KW set sitting in the garage and install date is set for June 30th. I only want one shot at getting my ride stance set correctly as the place that I am getting the install done is quite expensive but well worth the $. I would prefer not to have to go back to change something down the road.

TIA for any info or suggestions you have
Glad you like the thread.

Regarding ride height the professional pictures in here are with my old 22's set to the lowest KW recommended height. Recommended height is 16.3 from hub center line to bottom of fender. I'm currently at 15.75 and 16 as you know. The size of the wheel should not matter as long as you kept the rolling diameter the same. In terms of aesthetics it's personal preference. My professional pics are at the recommended height if you like those.

The camber arms are for the front and are oem. They give an extra -.5 of camber, which will put you around -2 degrees at the front after your drop. If that is too much for you don't bother getting them as you will be around -1.5 without. Part numbers are:

31126790973 left

31126790974 right

There are 3 oem camber arms so make sure your parts guys gets the ones that say -.30, which are these part numbers if you decide to go with them.

I also want to point out that the most important thing you should do is follow KW's recommended shock settings. Their settings are the only truly matched settings to their shocks and the stock oem rear airbags. Don't even pretend to know more than they do when it comes to compression rebound characteristics. Remember the settings are adjusted from full stiff (closed). You can actually set it up yourself before going in for the install. Turn them all the way to the right to close them and then back them off accordingly. I have a post in one of the KW threads here with the exact turn amounts. Just search KW settings and you should find it.

Also you need an alignment afterwards but give it a week or two for everything to settle. Your camber will not be able to go into spec, but your toe will, which is the most important part for tire life anyways.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck and be sure to post pics!
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #299
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Outstanding!!! Thanks for the info. Ya, I knew I had to get an alignment, just didn't know it should be a week later. I think I'm going to ask them to dial it into the height you are currently at. Please excuse my stupidity but I am assuming at that height I need the camber arms to lengthen the life of my tires... Correct?
Thanks again.

BTW, Im currently in MAUI. Love it!!!

Quote:

Regarding ride height the professional pictures in here are with my old 22's set to the lowest KW recommended height. Recommended height is 16.3 from hub center line to bottom of fender. I'm currently at 15.75 and 16 as you know. The size of the wheel should not matter as long as you kept the rolling diameter the same. In terms of aesthetics it's personal preference. My professional pics are at the recommended height if you like those.

The camber arms are for the front and are oem. They give an extra -.5 of camber, which will put you around -2 degrees at the front after your drop. If that is too much for you don't bother getting them as you will be around -1.5 without. Part numbers are:

31126790973 left

31126790974 right

There are 3 oem camber arms so make sure your parts guys gets the ones that say -.30, which are these part numbers if you decide to go with them.

I also want to point out that the most important thing you should do is follow KW's recommended shock settings. Their settings are the only truly matched settings to their shocks and the stock oem rear airbags. Don't even pretend to know more than they do when it comes to compression rebound characteristics. Remember the settings are adjusted from full stiff (closed). You can actually set it up yourself before going in for the install. Turn them all the way to the right to close them and then back them off accordingly. I have a post in one of the KW threads here with the exact turn amounts. Just search KW settings and you should find it.

Also you need an alignment afterwards but give it a week or two for everything to settle. Your camber will not be able to go into spec, but your toe will, which is the most important part for tire life anyways.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck and be sure to post pics!
      05-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #300
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my911fixxx
Outstanding!!! Thanks for the info. Ya, I knew I had to get an alignment, just didn't know it should be a week later. I think I'm going to ask them to dial it into the height you are currently at. Please excuse my stupidity but I am assuming at that height I need the camber arms to lengthen the life of my tires... Correct?
Thanks again.

BTW, Im currently in MAUI. Love it!!!

Quote:

31126790973 left

31126790974 right

Maui

Depends which camber arms you get. The negative ones improve turning but could increase inside tire wear. The positive ones would help to counter the negative camber that is introduced from lowering.

As for the X5's the lack of negative camber in the front is one of the main reasons the outside of the front tires start to go bad quickly. These things are heavy and need negative camber in the front imo.

I used to run -3.5 camber up front on my old M3 with no problems so I don't consider -2 to be anything to be concerned with. Just make sure your toe is spot on and you will get better tire life and better turning with the negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #301
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Question about your kw, from ground how many inches is your auv lowered? And how is the ride... Mine is set at factory kw.. Just really rough hitting road bumps.. I almost wanna rip the kws off. I have to factor in my tires too... Since they are low pros
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #302
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by skforzagroup
Question about your kw, from ground how many inches is your auv lowered? And how is the ride... Mine is set at factory kw.. Just really rough hitting road bumps.. I almost wanna rip the kws off. I have to factor in my tires too... Since they are low pros
Sounds like your shocks are not set to kw spec. It should ride better than stock even with 22's. Check your compression and rebound settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #303
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

FYI I used M3 guys ride hight settings and is rides great. I left compression and rebound at kw recommended settings. Big thanks to M3 guy for doing the homework for us!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #304
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
FYI I used M3 guys ride hight settings and is rides great. I left compression and rebound at kw recommended settings. Big thanks to M3 guy for doing the homework for us!
Thats sitting nice! Bigger pics needed
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #305
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skforzagroup View Post

Maybe your rebound compression settings are set from full soft? A common misconception about KW's is the fact that their settings are all based off of a fully closed shock, which full stiff, turned all the way to the right. They are then opened the recommended number of clicks/turns. It could be worth a shot to check.

Quote:
Sounds like your shocks are not set to kw spec. It should ride better than stock even with 22's. Check your compression and rebound settings.

Quote:
FYI I used M3 guys ride height settings and is rides great. I left compression and rebound at kw recommended settings. Big thanks to M3 guy for doing the homework for us!
No problem, glad you like the settings! Your beast is looking sick, more pics are definietly needed.

Quote:
That's sitting nice! Bigger pics needed
Agree!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #306
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

will do thanks guys, which regards to rear can anyone recommend a easier way to access by top rebound adjustment as the struts hidden
Mods: H&R Springs | ETG TUNE | Miestershaft exhaust GTC| SKF Carbon Fiber Wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #307
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skforzagroup View Post
will do thanks guys, which regards to rear can anyone recommend a easier way to access by top rebound adjustment as the struts hidden
Not sure if it's the same on a X6M but on the X5M's the top of the rear shocks are accessed by moving the carpet liner of the spare wheel well to the side under the trunk floor.

The real pain will be the front top as that requires removal of the plastic bins over the shock towers. It's not hard to do at all, just a little time consuming. Remove rubber liner, remove plastic top covering, and then remove thick plastic tray. Should give enough room to get the adjuster on the shock. Good luck!

One more thing, don't forget to reset the shocks by tuning them fully closed (to the right/full stiff) for a couple minutes before adjusting them open to the desired settings. Don't turn past the final click. There is a very slight movement from the last click to strong resistance. You don't want to be in this part. Clicks for adjustment assume that the final click before the no mans land is position 0.

As a point of reference for you and anyone else curious here are my settings:

Front:

Height - 29.25 from ground to bottom of fender
Rebound - 6 clicks from full closed
Compression - 5 clicks from full closed

Rear:

Height - 29.50 from ground to bottom of fender
Rebound - 9 clicks from full closed
Compression - 5 clicks from full closed
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #308
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Also here is my post from the KW setting thread explaining my reasoning for sticking with the recommended shock settings:

Quote:
According to the instructions, adjustments are done from a fully closed position. Hence the term 'clicks open' on their settings. That's how I have mine setup and it rides great. Taken from their instructions. Go to page 4:

http://www.kw-store.com/extras/docs/...ea68577098.pdf

As such here are the settings:

Front:

Rebound - 6 from full closed
Compression - 5 from full closed

Rear:

Rebound - 9 from full closed
Compression - 5 from full closed

Adjusting them beyond KW's settings are not needed imo and I will give you guys my reasoning. What you guys need to realize is that KW only makes the V3 for our cars, which has more adjustments then we need, let alone know what to do with from a technical level. All we know is softer or firmer, we don't know the effective dampening characteristics required to handle the spring rates present. Plus the springs and bags are progressive so the rates are not constant.

Now the springs were designed to work with the oem rear bags. So this means the shocks are paired with them since it is a coilover setup. The true pairing is only done at KW's specs, the rest of the combinations are going to have the shocks out of balance with the progressive spring rates. They should have just made the V1's for our cars, but that is probably not a high end enough solution in the given marketplace for a vehicle like this.

I did experiment with both softer and firmer settings just to see and it's easily apparent that they are not matched to the spring rates. So I went back to KW's settings and couldn't be happier. I'm confident that once you guys set it up this way you will notice an immediate and improved driving experience.

Hopefully this will clear everything up for you guys and we can put this to rest.
Appreciate 0