XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver X6

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
X6 left me stranded tonight...No Clue!!!!!!!

Wanted to let you guys know that my X6 just purchased November 24th left me stranded tonight. This car has a little over 4,000 miles and for some reason ran and acted like it was a clunker. Needless to say I am very upset. On top of that the towing company broke a clip on the tow hook cap which will have to be replaced. I went to Toyota to look at a new 4 Runner for my girlfriend and when I got in the car to leave it started hesitating like it wasn't getting any fuel or transmission was having issues and a message "Engine Malfunction" came up on the screen with what looked to be a transmission icon on the dash. I immediately put it in park and hit the BMW assist. Now don't get me wrong, it may have caught a virus while being parked at Toyota for 30 minutes or perhaps had an allergic reaction but it was very odd to say the least. If anyone has experienced this please share. The image of my brand new car being on a tow truck caused a sickening feeling to say the least so figured I would share..........

Last edited by SKYHI; 02-04-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

OH man. I'm sorry for ya SkyHi. Keep us up to speed once you find out what happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
egg666
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP/YMBlue/Black/MP Kit///

I had the similar problem few weeks aga and sent back to dealer TWICE!

Finally replaced the high pressure pump, now running smoothly like new!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by egg666 View Post
I had the similar problem few weeks ago and sent back to dealer TWICE!

Finally replaced the high pressure pump, now running smoothly like new!!
Thanks egg666, that's exactly what they are telling me. Fortunately they did have the part in stock and will have it replaced today. Hope this is the source of the problem as I called my friend/BMW dealership owner I purchased it from and promised to return it to his showroom via his front window! Now I just have to wait for my tow hook cap to come in so they can paint prior to install, should be mid to late next week from what I'm told!!! What can you do?!?!?

Last edited by SKYHI; 02-05-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Good Old Days, when cars were slow...

Fuel pump problems have plagued the n54 engine despite being awarded "Engine of the Year " in '07/'08. As if that means anything!
There's even a class action launched in California.!
Usually goes to reduce power mode so u can at least limp home or to a dealer.
Is it the High pressure fuel pump that caused ur problem?
Some owners, like myself have also had problems w/ the wastegate actuators requiring turbo charger replacements!
I'm sure all who owns or lease are now having 2nd thoughts at the back of our minds because we didn't pay the price of a Toyota Corolla or Prius to have this kind of issue.
Even friends who drive Lexus, say they have seen better days.
Gone are the days when one works for a company or can drive a car daily for 20 + years.
"within production tolerances" & "acceptable losses" are used too often to rationalize/justify low quality.
In our current "Throw Away Consumerism", Loyalty, Customer Satisfaction & Quality have no meaning nor value any longer, when customers become mere "Revenue Generating Units."
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Fuel pump problems have plagued the n54 engine despite being awarded "Engine of the Year " in '07/'08. As if that means anything!
There's even a class action launched in California.!
Usually goes to reduce power mode so u can at least limp home or to a dealer.
Is it the High pressure fuel pump that caused ur problem?
Some owners, like myself have also had problems w/ the wastegate actuators requiring turbo charger replacements!
I'm sure all who owns or lease are now having 2nd thoughts at the back of our minds because we didn't pay the price of a Toyota Corolla or Prius to have this kind of issue.
Even friends who drive Lexus, say they have seen better days.
Gone are the days when one works for a company or can drive a car daily for 20 + years.
"within production tolerances" & "acceptable losses" are used too often to rationalize/justify low quality.
In our current "Throw Away Consumerism", Loyalty, Customer Satisfaction & Quality have no meaning nor value any longer, when customers become mere "Revenue Generating Units."

I couldn't have said it better myself archwerks!!!! Yes they are telling me it is the HPFP at this point. When he mentioned it I made him aware that I was knowledgeable in regards to the issues with the wastegate actuators and the class action suit in California which is why I threatened to drive it back onto their showroom floor if was to return due to the same issue! Even if in limp mode I think they'll get my point! This car is way too new to have these issues and I refuse to allow this to turn into a "B-M-Trouble You" experience when I paid for BMW!!!!! Hope they are able to get it together and avoid this moving forward!!
      02-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:

Agree 100%. These days the only method available to a consumer to get a manufacturer to live up to their responsibility is the sue. Not a good thing but it's the way the world has become. If you look at toyota it doesn't take much to tarnish a reputation and you don't recover from that kind of thing and their cars are a lot less expensive than BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Keep in mind folks who have complaints come to forums. Those with no issues or questions don't.

Frequently, the run flat, HPFP, iDrive debate, etc. give the illusion of mass consumer disappointment or disapproval when the exact opposite is true.

Cars can have issues, but avoid the hysterical frenzy.
      02-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
So I go to pick up my car after having to have it towed to Brian Harris BMW in Baton Rouge, La. due to the High Pressure Fuel Pump leaving me stranded last night only to find out that one of their car washers backed another car into mine!!!!!! R U Fking SERIOUS??????????????

02-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Not hysterical, We just demand better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Keep in mind folks who have complaints come to forums. Those with no issues or questions don't.

Frequently, the run flat, HPFP, iDrive debate, etc. give the illusion of mass consumer disappointment or disapproval when the exact opposite is true.

Hey I know it's just a car.
But these are not isolated cases.
Wait til it happens to u when ur 400 miles from anywhere in the Arizona desert during the summer. Or when ur on the turnpike ramp at rush hour with a semi on ur rear bumper. Then idrive says" Engine Malfunction Reduced Power"
Be hysterical then, it'll be a real JOY ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Skyhi,
Holy cow. Well you know what they say, everything comes in 3's. Hope I'm wrong brother. Hang in there. Damage by the dealer has happen to me as well. It's just a job to some of those guys. Not like they really care. Good luck bro.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey I know it's just a car.
But these are not isolated cases.
Wait til it happens to u when ur 400 miles from anywhere in the Arizona desert during the summer. Or when ur on the turnpike ramp at rush hour with a semi on ur rear bumper. Then idrive says" Engine Malfunction Reduced Power"
Be hysterical then, it'll be a real JOY ride.

Exactly archwerks!!!

Chuck92103, regardless what you feel is a hysterical frenzy, try having your 2 month old vehicle leave you stranded, tow truck break your tow cap, and then once the repairs are done the dealer, of all people, wreck your car which they can't even afford to drive (which is why they don't take care of them)!!! Let's see how much of a frenzy you stir up?!?! It all goes back to the faulty HPFP by BMW, if the mechanics wouldn't have failed this all would have been avoided. I pay top dollar for top quality, and that goes for product as well as service!!!!! Oh and I was a member of this forum before I experienced any issues, I just like to see different mods and opinions. Unfortunately I became one of the unfortunate... Regardless I still don't wish these issues on anyone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
Skyhi,
Holy cow. Well you know what they say, everything comes in 3's. Hope I'm wrong brother. Hang in there. Damage by the dealer has happen to me as well. It's just a job to some of those guys. Not like they really care. Good luck bro.
Yes it certainly did, see the order of events in my reply to archwerks!!! Haha!! Hopefully this is the end of the issues. I'm also tempted to just trade it in and make them give me top dollar and a hell of a deal on a 50i!!!!!!! In the meantime I'll be running the piss out of this 5 series loaner!!!

Last edited by SKYHI; 02-06-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Mich M
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X6 35i

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
I had the fuel pump issue on my X6 as well, the night before I left out of the country. Its a huge disappointment when this happens on such an expensive vehicle with hardly any mileage. Good thing I have had optimal service or I would really be raiseing hell!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

Try telling these guys that. This thread is supposed to be about the n54 turbo lag but they also have waste gate rattles and HPFP issues up the a**.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...47781&page=212

They are on the 212th page of the thread. I keep getting updates and the latest one I received was from a guy that is on his 4th HPFP. Now tell me that you would feel comfortable taking that car on a long trip somewhere - would you wife say "Sure honey, I don't mind taking the car the may breakdown on us." Like hell!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Hamed
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: X6

Take it easy on yourself man...hopefully everything gets fixed soon...these things happen to everybody..just be cool...take a deeeeeeeep breath..and try to relax
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamed View Post
Take it easy on yourself man...hopefully everything gets fixed soon...these things happen to everybody..just be cool...take a deeeeeeeep breath..and try to relax
Thanks for the positivity but I doubt this has happened to everyone my man!! Nor do I find it acceptable from a 2 month old vehicle. The HPFP at some point, maybe. The towing company breaking my tow cap due to carelessness on the driver's part, maybe. BMW wrecking the vehicle while in their possession, maybe. All within 24hrs, very doubtful bro!!! And let's keep in mind this all would have been avoided if I wouldn't have had issues with the HPFP or whatever defective part BMW has decided to inconvenience so many loyal customers with. Maybe things do happen for a reason? I think I'm best letting the dealer repair the vehicle and keep it as a trade on a new one. Due to the circumstances they should give me top dollar and a hell of a deal on a new one. Fortunately I have a friend who owns a BMW dealership which is where I purchased the vehicle from but not the dealer that wrecked it. He will make sure they give me a new 50i at rock bottom pricing which I will not have to worry about any HPFP issues and so forth. Again thanks for the positivity and by no means do I expect or wish you to experience a similar situation but personally I don't have the time or patience to deal with trial and error when I've paid for a superior product to avoid doing so.