XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Who will trade off their brand new X6 for the X6 hybrid, hopefully coming next year!?

I know it's premature, I know it's not fair, we all love this new car, but who will wanna trade in. .for the new X6 V8 (as they say) hybrid, in 2009?!!?

They say, the hybrid will cut off 20% of gas consumption. .but on a V8 50i!! How about the folks that don't dig the 50i??? And run on 30's and 35's?? They don't get hybrids next year. . Maybe just the potential buyers of the new Series 7 popping up in showrooms next year. .

I personally would love to have that cute gizmo of a sliding panel covering automatically the exhausts in urban traffic under 40 MPH. . .That means that 95% of my weekly driving will be coming from the the two electric motors in the driveshaft. . .I guess it's worth the money, ,dunno yet.

Now it's your turn to talk.

Last edited by akraptor; 06-21-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I know it's premature, I know it's not fair, we all love this new car, but who will wanna trade in. .for the new X6 V8 (as they say) hybrid, in 2009?!!?

They say, the hybrid will cut off 20% of gas consumption. .but on a V8 50i!! How about the folks that don't dig the 50i??? And run on 30's and 35's?? They don't get hybrids next year. . Maybe just the potential buyers of the new Series 7 popping up in showrooms next year. .

I personally would love to have that cute gizmo of a sliding panel automatically covering automatically the exhausts in urban traffic under 40 MPH. . .That means that 95% of my weekly driving will be coming from the the two electric motors in the driveshaft. . .I guess it's worth the money, ,dunno yet.

Now it's your turn to talk.
I'm thinking about waiting to ck out the X6 Hybrid before I jump into the X6 ownership arena.I'm far,far from a tree hugger,bark eater type....however,I do log about 30,000 miles a year on the road.I would love the roar of the TTV8.....assuming BMW will "allow" the Hybrid X6 to roar,and get 20% +/- better gas mileage than the stock TTV8 X6.I'm just not sure how you add two electric motors,battery pack and associated hardware...and still deliver the "Ultimate Driving Machine" experience to an already....shall we say.... "Big Boned" X6 !!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      06-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Me don't know either how they can plug two electric motors in the drive shaft. .but they already proved they can stuck two turbo's in some niches of the motor. . .so I believe they can do it, ,again. .
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The X6 hybrid is a marketing gimmick.

20% fuel increase is the max. Which means you will get 17MPG instead of 15MPG.

BMW is not known for reliable electronics. I would not attempt one of their hybrids until it has been out several years and city MPG is closer to 30MPG. Otherwise it is a waste like the Lexus RX400h. On the highway the 400h gets close to the same gas mileage as the regular engine.

Buyer beware.

Have one car you love and don't care about MPG. Have another car that is a fuel mizer by design. Cars that were never designed to be a hybrid and were retrofitted with electrics have rarely done well or better than their gas counterparts when you factor in the cost.

If you lease an X6 hybrid you will never notice any savings as the lease payments will be higher and the fuel savings minimal.

p.s. A typical hybrid system adds about 500lbs of weight.
      06-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

BMW is not known for reliable electronics. I would not attempt one of their hybrids until it has been out several years and city MPG is closer to 30MPG. Otherwise it is a waste like the Lexus RX400h. On the highway the 400h gets close to the same gas mileage as the regular engine.

Buyer beware.

Have one car you love and don't care about MPG. Have another car that is a fuel mizer by design. Cars that were never designed to be a hybrid and were retrofitted with electrics have rarely done well or better than their gas counterparts when you factor in the cost.

If you lease an X6 hybrid you will never notice any savings as the lease payments will be higher and the fuel savings minimal.
I'm afraid your right on the money.The Hybrid X6 will end up tipping the scales close to 6k pounds if BMW is not careful.Thanks! PalBay
      06-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I guess we'll all have to live by the laws of hybrids. .in the near future. .if not next year. .doesn't matter how much money we own. ..but, honestly, I want to buy a regular X6, Now. But if fuel price is going off the roof (as we already noticed on TV news,with concern) and will continue to climb (DOH,, isn't that a certitude, yet?) what options we have? Hybrids??!? Yeah, but at a decent price. and on a Bimmer?!? Absolutely!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

Buyer beware.

p.s. A typical hybrid system adds about 500lbs of weight.
Yee indeed Chuck, Over here the Lexus 450H has been a big flop, MPG is poor and Hybrid is a bit of joke i'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

You don't have to speculate about what the BMW hybrid system will look like, what it will weigh, or how much it will improve gas mileage. It is identical to the system in the GMC Yukon and the Cadillac Escalade. It was a joint development between GM, BMW, and what was then Daimler-Chrysler. Plenty has been published about the system. BMW's version will differ only in detail.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
You don't have to speculate about what the BMW hybrid system will look like, what it will weigh, or how much it will improve gas mileage. It is identical to the system in the GMC Yukon and the Cadillac Escalade. It was a joint development between GM, BMW, and what was then Daimler-Chrysler. Plenty has been published about the system. BMW's version will differ only in detail.
Good point! I just wonder how Bimmer turns a 6k Tahoe "Flying Brick" into a high performance "Ultimate Driving Machine"..... I'm counting on that German Engineering to prevail!!!!!! Thanks PalBay
      06-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 435GC / 18 440GC

I've got to say - what about the price! First, it's only being released for the 50i which is a good $5k+ over the 35i. Add hybrid technology with BMW performance, and you have to figure it's going to run another $3k- $5k, maybe more above the standard x6 50i. All for a 2mpg gain in city driving only? Don't think so. If a hybrid or high mpg means that much, get a prius for city driving and get a BMW for performance driving. I have to say, I love my X6 - and I've head AWD cars for several years now (05 Infiniti G35, 06 Infiniti FX35 and an 08 535xi). The X6 eats the most fuel, hands down, no questions. Not to sound like I'm not concerned about the environment or the ever increasing cost of fuel, but that's not why I bought the X6! And, despite it's thirst, it also beats the handling in those other cars, hands down! No competition. What I find most appealing about the X6, is there's really nothing else like it. OK, the FX and maybe the Cayenne come close, but the X6 still stands out. It's presence commands attention. It's eye catching, it doesn't vanish into the mundane congregation of heavy traffic. Yes, maybe this will wear off in time (yet to be seen), but still, it's unique, inside and out.

Not for nothing, but why should is the first BMW hybrid a SUV/crossover? Shouldn't this technology have started with the ever popular 3 series and filtered through the mix? Yes, the 3 has respectable mileage, but there's always room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemanta View Post
I've got to say - what about the price! First, it's only being released for the 50i which is a good $5k+ over the 35i. Add hybrid technology with BMW performance, and you have to figure it's going to run another $3k- $5k, maybe more above the standard x6 50i. All for a 2mpg gain in city driving only? Don't think so. If a hybrid or high mpg means that much, get a prius for city driving and get a BMW for performance driving. I have to say, I love my X6 - and I've head AWD cars for several years now (05 Infiniti G35, 06 Infiniti FX35 and an 08 535xi). The X6 eats the most fuel, hands down, no questions. Not to sound like I'm not concerned about the environment or the ever increasing cost of fuel, but that's not why I bought the X6! And, despite it's thirst, it also beats the handling in those other cars, hands down! No competition. What I find most appealing about the X6, is there's really nothing else like it. OK, the FX and maybe the Cayenne come close, but the X6 still stands out. It's presence commands attention. It's eye catching, it doesn't vanish into the mundane congregation of heavy traffic. Yes, maybe this will wear off in time (yet to be seen), but still, it's unique, inside and out.

Not for nothing, but why should is the first BMW hybrid a SUV/crossover? Shouldn't this technology have started with the ever popular 3 series and filtered through the mix? Yes, the 3 has respectable mileage, but there's always room for improvement.
Well, because there's no more room left in sedans to put the hybrid installation. SUV's still have some room left.
Appreciate 0