XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #23
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
They are all the same system, just different branding and colors on the web pages.
You should be able to configure your system as well...

Buy the needed cable (ADS-USB on eBay) so you can program/configure the system.
Click on the Flash your Module in the upper right corner of the web page: http://www.flashlogic.com/
Then setup an account on their web page (freelance installer) and you can Flash your module.

You will need to remove the modules from the X5, as the system is configured with your PC and the USB cable via their web page.
Very cool, actually.

Here's a DIY for a BMW 135i, but pretty much the same for the E70.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182876

Cheers,
John
Is it possible for me to add the smartphone interface to the FlashLogic system?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #24
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by W84IT View Post
95wildtt, I think I like the system you have better than the FlashLogic that I have installed.
Look at the link he provided...it's the same system (F)lash(L)ogic(R)emote(S)tart-BM1
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #25
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Look at the link he provided...it's the same system (F)lash(L)ogic(R)emote(S)tart-BM1
OK, well I guess I just need to get an aftermarket remote or add the smartphone interface...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is the one I'm running...plenty of range but I'd still like to upgrade to the 3 mile one if you're interested in buying mine.

http://kickyride.com/index.php?main_...6d6a169e5f80bc
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #27
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the one I'm running...plenty of range but I'd still like to upgrade to the 3 mile one if you're interested in buying mine.

Thanks but I'm actually more interested in the smartphone interface so I can control everything from an app on my phone. I would also like the 3 mile range remote but I may be interested in your 1500' remote if the price is right...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #28
fony3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

I've been doing some research on the remote starters, even quizzing up a buddy who does custom car installs. Seem from talking to him and looking around the flashlogic, idatastart, etc (all the same) seem to be the best bet. Install looks pretty straightforward and all plug and play. They also have the ability to work with various long range RF remotes by changing the programming.

W84IT, from what I have read for phone interface most were using drone mobile with the flashlogic. I believe it requires a subscription to use, I didn't investigate further as I am more interested in using the stock remote.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #29
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fony3 View Post
I've been doing some research on the remote starters, even quizzing up a buddy who does custom car installs. Seem from talking to him and looking around the flashlogic, idatastart, etc (all the same) seem to be the best bet. Install looks pretty straightforward and all plug and play. They also have the ability to work with various long range RF remotes by changing the programming.

W84IT, from what I have read for phone interface most were using drone mobile with the flashlogic. I believe it requires a subscription to use, I didn't investigate further as I am more interested in using the stock remote.
I called FlashLogic tech support and I was told that the only 2-way remotes that are compatible with the FLRS-BM1 is the Code Alarm 2-way remote and the Prestige 2-way remote along with adding a data converter that plugs into the FLRS-BM1...then I would just have to flash the module again. I was also told that the VOXX Carlink add-on smartphone interface will work with the FLRS-BM1.

Last edited by W84IT; 09-18-2017 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Thanks for sharing. I enjoy learning about how things are handled elsewhere in the world. Personally, I can see one or two perks to having my car started remotely but won't do it because there have been numerous times my jeans have pressed buttons on my fob causing windows to open, panic alarm to activate, etc. The last thing I'd want is for my car to start in my garage while family is inside and oblivious.
Living in Canada where its common in winter for the car to have an inch of very tough ice on all of the windows in the morning after being parked outside, a remote starter would be awesome to heat up the car so all that crap can be removed effectively. Otherwise, it can take quite a while to scape the ice away properly AND have all windows clear for good visibility and optimally safe driving. I imagine the US has lots of northern states with the same issue.

But I agree that having the car running when it shouldn't be is a non-starter for me (bad pun intended).

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #31
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

May I ask, WHY you guys need to start your car 3 miles away?
Not being sarcastic, really, in what scenario is this necessary?

I mean, even if you are fast approaching on a nearby highway, that is still ~3 minutes away. That is longer than
I EVER idle my X5... And longer than BMW wants you to idle.
Melting ice, ok I can get that. What other reasons do you have?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #32
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I myself work at Boeing in Everett, WA which happens to be the world's largest building. With as much parking as there is here, it's still at least a 5 minute walk before I'm even outside, then there's still the walk to the parking lot itself. My current remote is a claimed 1500'...in perfect conditions. With as much metal and concrete there is here, it'll only work if I walk outside, hit the start button, listen for the exhaust (often the remote doesn't verify the cars been started, but I can hear it :-) ) and then I'll continue walking further while inside the building if it's raining or snowing until I'm at a door that's closest to where I've parked. If I'm parked close and in more reasonable places (home, grocery stores, etc), then the aftermarket remote works great.

The 2 mine range Viper remote on my Harley F150 is a different story. Not only does the remote always show the correct info (seems to communicate/refresh communication better), but I've yet to work and park far enough away to where it still did it's job. No need to go outside first or anything, I'll just hit start, gather my things, find the nearest timeclock and I'm outta there.

Coming outside to the A/C or the heater, heated seats and steering wheel being on after a 12hr day is what makes it worth it for me. For those who park in office park garages, have a 500' walk at most, etc will be just fine using the factory remote and hitting lock 3x to start it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:03 AM   #33
fony3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

So my buddy was able to score me an iDatastart unit and lent me his programming cable. For some reason this branding version comes with a 2 way remote good for 2000ft.

http://www.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/165

Upon opening and looking up model numbers the added remote is a compustar ANT-2WSP RF 2 way kit and slice Jr remotes.

I was in a rush and didn't take photos, but install took me 4 hours, but easily could be done quicker.

My issues:
I spent about 40 minutes failing to get my phone to connect to the mobile programmer I borrowed, my wifes iPad ended up working with it. Then I had a heart attack when nothing worked (as in locks, ignition, radio, etc) with the jumper cables plugged in, after another 40mins of panic, Google searches, plugging and unplugging it resolved itself. I figured it was due to one or two of the plugs needing a firm push to properly seat. After that I realized that both modules need to be programmed before install, I only flashed the first, so that was another 10-15 wasted.

After that, the KLON programming was a breeze, running through the completion checklist and test was a easy and had no issues. Setting up the RF remotes took a bit of playing around. Then spent some extra time doing my best to stuff the cables and unit cleanly.

I'd say without hiccups like mine it's a 2.5 hour job at a relaxed pace.

First impressions:
It starts no problem with the OEM fob, takes a good 10-15 seconds to go through a bit of a sequence and start. The parking lights flash every 5 seconds and the headlights are on when you remote start. I find this a bit annoying, kinda says "look at me I'm running".
The two way remote I thought was pretty cool, you hold the button for 3 seconds and it beeps and flashes once it starts, or if it fails. I didn't test it out with any distance, just the far side of the house which is all we need.

So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #34
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fony3 View Post
So my buddy was able to score me an iDatastart unit and lent me his programming cable. For some reason this branding version comes with a 2 way remote good for 2000ft.
Within the last 2 years they have included the 2 remotes as part of the package deal.... Both of my kits have the 2 remotes....

I dont think you will have any problems...

All I really want is the ability to trigger my seat heaters and my steering wheel heater...... which seems like a pipe dream
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #35
zberrierboosted
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

All these questions of distance an such as well as the idling nonsense in Indiana. I personally installed an omega start BM1 and DroneMobile module, because I have a house in AK and live there most of the year. I can start it anywhere with my phone or apple watch or I can use my factory key fobs at limited range. It is installed on a 2013 x5 35d with a BPC tune and SCR, DPF, and EGR delete. I have a a 10 sec delay built in for the glow plugs and everything works fine. This has been installed for over a year. Ive lived in AK for over 10 years and without an autostart because of ambient temps at times it takes a little bit of driving to get to operating temps. That is the point of an autostart, block heaters don't cover it either when you can't plug in somewhere. Hope this helps, Ive had autostarts in multiple vehicles and this was the simplest to install and has worked flawlessly, I recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #36
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
I myself work at Boeing in Everett, WA which happens to be the world's largest building. With as much parking as there is here, it's still at least a 5 minute walk before I'm even outside, then there's still the walk to the parking lot itself.

Coming outside to the A/C or the heater, heated seats and steering wheel being on after a 12hr day is what makes it worth it for me. For those who park in office park garages, have a 500' walk at most, etc will be just fine using the factory remote and hitting lock 3x to start it.
Ok, I get it. Certainly not a common situation...
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #37
r1sc
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I installed the omegalink branded version of this in my 2012 X5M. Remote start works but it shuts off when I open the door. It does this even if I wait more than the 45 seconds of "Secure Takeover Delay".

I have comfort access, when I cloned the key I stuck it in the dash as directed. Is that right?

I've reset the module and reprogrammed and recloned, but the problem persists.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #38
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1sc View Post
I installed the omegalink branded version of this in my 2012 X5M. Remote start works but it shuts off when I open the door. It does this even if I wait more than the 45 seconds of "Secure Takeover Delay".

I have comfort access, when I cloned the key I stuck it in the dash as directed. Is that right?

I've reset the module and reprogrammed and recloned, but the problem persists.

Any ideas?
I thought the omegalink doesn’t require you to give up a key?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #39
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
I thought the omegalink doesn’t require you to give up a key?
It doesn't require you to give up a key.
During the install process the system clones one of your keys (done by inserting the key in the slot and following their direction) and uses the cloned info to make the ignition/secutity system think there is a key in the ignition...
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #40
LSX5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

idatastart ADS bm1

Quote:
Quote:
I installed this one a couple years ago and it's been trouble free...the only issue that I have with it is that you have to press the lock button 3 times to activate the remote start, then after that, it takes around 15 seconds for the car to start. I think there's also an add-on that enables you to use your mobile phone to start the vehicle as well.
If you're using your factory remote, then yes. If you opted for an aftermarket remote, then you'd have more range and options. I need more than 1500' of range, so I might be selling mine if I can get the 3 mine range one that 95wildtt is using.

I installed the Idatastart ads bm1 back in 2014 on my 2012 e70 with comfort access. Comes with harness no cutting wires eveything is reversible. I also added drone mobile module that I can start my car from anywhere. never had any issues with the starter stil going strong.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #41
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I installed this one a couple years ago and it's been trouble free...the only issue that I have with it is that you have to press the lock button 3 times to activate the remote start, then after that, it takes around 15 seconds for the car to start. I think there's also an add-on that enables you to use your mobile phone to start the vehicle as well.
If you're using your factory remote, then yes. If you opted for an aftermarket remote, then you'd have more range and options. I need more than 1500' of range, so I might be selling mine if I can get the 3 mine range one that 95wildtt is using.

I installed the Idatastart ads bm1 back in 2014 on my 2012 e70 with comfort access. Comes with harness no cutting wires eveything is reversible. I also added drone mobile module that I can start my car from anywhere. never had any issues with the starter stil going strong.
General question on these remote start units, based on the following scenario:

Exiting grocery store with wife. Remote start car. As we approach car, I unlock doors. Wife enters passenger side while I unload groceries into trunk. I do not open driver side door for several minutes.

With the above, will the car auto-shut-off before I've had a chance to enter and override, because the passenger door had been opened?

Just curious if/how this would work, as this scenario would be pretty frequently used for me. If I need to get in and do something within seconds (or say, under a minute) it will kind of defeat the benefit of installing this in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #42
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looking for a remote start for my 2011 35i.
Is there any new kits?
Any info from someone that has them? I’d like it to be trouble free with comfort access as well as starting the vehicle normally. Thank.
Appreciate 0