XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #23
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonelm3-X5M View Post
no worries bro, i just needed to be clear.

i hope they video record the install but if pics are all they share, i will share them. i also asked the actual tech to give me his take on the install of the pure stage 2 turbos and the blanket

i have not chosen a tune yet, to go on before the JB4+BMS is installed but when i do, it will be time for my X5 ///M to get her own build thread
Bro Never heard back from you on the blanket install. Now they have em in stock. Your pics/video will help me understand if I can DIY. I am planning to put it on top of the OEM heat shield
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #24
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 Custom HPF 900whp Turbo M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Bro Never heard back from you on the blanket install. Now they have em in stock. Your pics/video will help me understand if I can DIY. I am planning to put it on top of the OEM heat shield
Sorry Coolmayank, I haven't heard or received the pics yet but I do know that 75% of the shop took off since HH hit Houston to Volunteer and the email said they'd return back to the shop today

But I'm sure it's a fairly simply DIY project for "the On top of the heat shield install"

-Rico
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #25
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Coolmayank, I haven't heard or received the pics yet but I do know that 75% of the shop took off since HH hit Houston to Volunteer and the email said they'd return back to the shop today

But I'm sure it's a fairly simply DIY project for "the On top of the heat shield install"

-Rico

Rico, thanks for your reply. I am curious to know the procedure of removing the O2 sensor connector. Should that be as simple as pulling the connector out. rest of the stuff of putting the blanket on top of the heat shield seems simple. Do you think this thing is worth it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #26
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 Custom HPF 900whp Turbo M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Rico, thanks for your reply. I am curious to know the procedure of removing the O2 sensor connector. Should that be as simple as pulling the connector out. rest of the stuff of putting the blanket on top of the heat shield seems simple. Do you think this thing is worth it
Yes
Yes
Yes

it is most definitely worth it. Heat is Powers enemy and this S63 gets very very hot so the blanket helps keep the heat where it should be.

correct, removing the O2 sensors are pretty straight forward. disconnect the connector 1st, then remove it from its clip, then wrench (unscrew) the actual O2 sensor out from the DP

i went with the blankets directly on the turbo housing to keep the heat temps lowest
      09-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #27
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes
Yes
Yes

it is most definitely worth it. Heat is Powers enemy and this S63 gets very very hot so the blanket helps keep the heat where it should be.

correct, removing the O2 sensors are pretty straight forward. disconnect the connector 1st, then remove it from its clip, then wrench (unscrew) the actual O2 sensor out from the DP

i went with the blankets directly on the turbo housing to keep the heat temps lowest
I will not be required to unplug the O2 sensor from the DP as I am going to put it "over heat shield" so its just un-clip the connector and pass it through the holes in the blanket. Are you seeing any improvement in terms of heat reduction. I am concerned about any long term negative impacts though.

I am mostly driving it as a daily driver, so not really sure if I need it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #28
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

E36bmer posted pics on his build thread of using $50ish blankets that he had to trim slightly and they fit under the stock cover...sitting atop the cover seems useless since you want the heat held as closely to the housing as possible to retain exhaust speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #29
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
E36bmer posted pics on his build thread of using $50ish blankets that he had to trim slightly and they fit under the stock cover...sitting atop the cover seems useless since you want the heat held as closely to the housing as possible to retain exhaust speed.
James,
The design of the PTP turbo blanket seems to be sitting atop. I confirmed with PTP, they do not include any hardware to install the turbo.

I don't posses the skills to remove the OEM heat shield. At max, I can try a DIY to install it over the heat shield. X5M is my daily driver and driven in traffic so not sure, how effective the blanket will be.

The second thought is to leave like it. do you think its worth putting it over the heat shield or leave aside.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #30
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

These are a high cost vs gains mods. Unless you're putting it directly atop the turbos and/or between the stock heatshield, I can't imagine they're going too much. I DD mine but I'm also hard on it and race people on my commute whenever possible :-) I myself bought the cheap eBay ones that e36bmer bought but I haven't installed it yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #31
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
These are a high cost vs gains mods. Unless you're putting it directly atop the turbos and/or between the stock heatshield, I can't imagine they're going too much. I DD mine but I'm also hard on it and race people on my commute whenever possible :-) I myself bought the cheap eBay ones that e36bmer bought but I haven't installed it yet.
My concern is not to gain power but to reduce the heat in the engine bay. Are you aware of any adverse effect these can have in long term or affecting extended warranty. I am only considering this if its a simple DIY, anything more complicated and i am out of it
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #32
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Are you having an engine bay heat problem currently? The factory heat shield should be sufficient for DD use. It's when you start pushing power (800-1000hp M5's noticed the back two cylinders were getting heatsoaked and burning oil at track events) is when you should look at things like these. It's $350 better spent vs laying a blanket atop a heatshield. Removing the heatshield to put these blankets in their proper location would require removing the oxygen sensors, PCV and vacuum lines that run over the turbos, about 5-6 brackets and then finally the heatshield itself. I'm guessing downpipes will help with cooling better if you've got a heat issue plus too notice a power difference as well with downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #33
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you having an engine bay heat problem currently? The factory heat shield should be sufficient for DD use. It's when you start pushing power (800-1000hp M5's noticed the back two cylinders were getting heatsoaked and burning oil at track events) is when you should look at things like these. It's $350 better spent vs laying a blanket atop a heatshield. Removing the heatshield to put these blankets in their proper location would require removing the oxygen sensors, PCV and vacuum lines that run over the turbos, about 5-6 brackets and then finally the heatshield itself. I'm guessing downpipes will help with cooling better if you've got a heat issue plus too notice a power difference as well with downpipes.
I totally agree with you .. this seems to be overkill for a DD . I don't have any heat issues and I haven't seen the temp gauge going beyond 210 .

In fact on a long open strech of 200 miles non stop , the engine was cool. But I do notice the heat is more in start stop traffic . I am keeping the car stock because of the warranty.. so you think it's not worth putting it atop and using As DD. It's the itch of spending the money that is making me think in this direction .
I do notice couple of hoses leaking some oil on top of the Heat shield
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #34
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I guess i got lucky

they are in stock now!

jumped on PTP website, emailed them asking if they offer a military discount, they did, she gave me the code after i provided them my proof of service, used the code to get the custom S63 blanket and it shipped out and delivered the next day from Austin, Tx up to Dallas, Tx
Hey can you confirm if you got it installed over the heat shield or under. I was also looking at the heat shroud, heat sleeve option to wrap the hoses and lines
Appreciate 0