XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-05-2024, 02:25 PM   #1
PhatP
Rep
Drives: E39 BMW M5 / E70 BMW X5M

S63 - Massive increase in white smoke and oil consumption after CCVs swapped

I had my water pump go on my 2011 X5M a couple weeks ago and while it was apart I had my mechanic swap in some new CCVs and hoses as well since I was using about 1l of oil per 1000km with some smoking if I let it idle for 10mins+. I had added some AT-205 reseal to the car a couple months back as a test with zero improvement so I was fairly confident that the issue wasn't valve seals.

My mechanic found that the CCV hoses on the left and right side were seriously degraded and had cracks so they were replaced as well. I get the truck back and unfortunately oil consumption has increased to about 1l per 200km and it smokes constantly now from start up and is much worse after letter it idle.

I'm assuming the cracked hoses were the cause of my initial vacuum leaks and was causing the smoking and oil consumption on idle along with some of the typical s63 associated vacuum leaks sounds in the engine bay. I tested the new CCV valves before they were installed and they were closing properly so they appear to be working properly.

Any ideas as to what might be happening here? At this point the CCVs are working now and the vacuum leaks from the CCV hoses are fixed... Is there anywhere I should be looking now that were pulling a proper vacuum?

A couple of thoughts I had:

-Is it possible that we're pulling a lot more oil thru the turbo seals now with the proper vacuum?
-Would restoring proper vacuum cause increased oil consumption if the turbo oil lines were clogged?

Are there any other factors now that I have a properly working CCV system to consider that would increase oil consumption 4x?

It seems like I'm not the first one to see this issue after a CCV change, but there is no resolution mentioned.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...m-pcv-bad.html

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Last edited by PhatP; 01-05-2024 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 09:24 PM   #2
Greggo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i, 535xiT, 525i, F800

Did the CVV unit get replaced as well? If the diaphragm degrades, it is like a straw sucking oil straight into the intake. Having a loss of vacuum, could have hidden the failed CVV problem.

Symptoms of a bad BMW CCV are: white smoke coming out of the exhaust, excessive oil consumption (burning oil), engine running rough and misfiring. Failure of the BMW crankcase vent valve creates a vacuum from air being sucked through the rear main seal. This can cause an engine noise that sounds like a whistling or sucking sound. As demonstrated by AskTheCarExperts, a simple test to see if you have high crankcase pressure, is to try to remove the oil cap while the engine is running. If there is high suction holding the cap down, this is a good indication that the BMW crankcase vent valve has failed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:41 AM   #3
PhatP
Rep

Thanks Greggo! Both filtered air ducts were replaced (13717848152 and 13717848151) as well as the crankcase vent pipes (11157589989 and 11157589992). The engine was smoke tested and no leaks were found.

What has not been replaced are the oil separators in the valve covers. I've seen more that a few people who had massive oil consumption and traced it down to the oil separators. Has anyone had high oil consumption (1 quart in 300 miles) with white smoke that was significantly improved after pulling the valve covers and swapping out the oil separators?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 01:17 PM   #4
PhatP
Rep

Has anyone ever received bad brand new filtered air ducts from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:37 PM   #5
xJonRx
Rep
Drives: '13 E70 X5M

I have. I purchased mine about a year ago and they are already seeping oil past the connection on top of the valve covers. I’m also planning on replacing the separators under the valve covers. Sounds like we’re in the same boat.
Appreciate 1