XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

Autonomous Self Driving Spotted in NYC

I was walking back from lunch and saw this BMW parked and two guys fiddling with some electronics. The BMW had the cylindrical contraption on the roof spinning around at a very fast rate. At first I thought it was some 3D/VR type car capturing data, but did not quite look like a 360 image setup. It was definitely not Google Earth.

So I had to ask the guys. The one guy had a thick foreign accent, the BMW had euro plates.

I said that it's a very cool concept; his reply was to wait five years.
Things to come...

My reply was, "I love my BMW, but I love driving it. Autonomous Driving kind of takes away from that Ultimate Driving Machine effect".
Attached Images

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I hope they develope software robust enough to avoid bikers and skateboarders and the crazy taxi drivers in NYC.. I seriously doubt 5 years is enuf for that!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Has anyone gotten a survey from BMW asking opinions on self driving ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Has anyone gotten a survey from BMW asking opinions on self driving?
I did. However, my personal robot assistant filled it out for me and sent it back before I ever saw it. Amazing, right?!
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy View Post

My reply was, "I love my BMW, but I love driving it. Autonomous Driving kind of takes away from that Ultimate Driving Machine effect".
I'm OK with BMW adopting autonomous driving, I can't think of a major car manufacturer that isn't developing it other than some of the exotic manufacturers. I look at autonomous driving on a BMW the same way as cruise control; it's there if I want to use it, but I can also elect not to.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Personally, I think that they should subsidize this to encourage adoption by as wide an audience as possible. Anybody that isn't really into driving would be better off letting the computer drive, and it would make things safer and more regular for those of us who do. Of course, the early learning curve will be a bit scary (like for airbags and antilock brakes - clearly superior now, but early on they were probably making things more dangerous).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Personally, I think that they should subsidize this to encourage adoption by as wide an audience as possible. Anybody that isn't really into driving would be better off letting the computer drive, and it would make things safer and more regular for those of us who do. Of course, the early learning curve will be a bit scary (like for airbags and antilock brakes - clearly superior now, but early on they were probably making things more dangerous).
I think it would really be tough to implement properly without having *every* group contribute.

Bikers and the random stopped cars all over the place will be a nightmare for this to program.

And...the pedestrians... oh god.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yeah, the other big downside I see is when they mention that we only use our cars 4% of the time. Auto-drivers will mean a kind of traffic congestion that we haven't even considered, even if it is orderly and well-regulated.
Appreciate 0