XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Does this ticking sound normal? Vehicle is a 2011 BMW X5 M with 24k miles on it. I am referring to the louder, slower tick, not the really fast-paced ticking that almost sounds like a sewing machine. I was told by a couple BMW mechanics that it sounds normal, but I am curious to hear people's thoughts. The tick to which I am referring is easiest to hear when I pan down to the wheel in the first video and at the beginning of the second video.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
F9T
Captain
Rep

I don't seem to notice it on cold start, but hear it after it's been running for about 30 seconds or so. Do others hear this same noise with their vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

The faster paced ticking is the high pressure injectors as mine sounds the same. I can't say what the other slower ticking is, mine doesn't have that sound, but then again microphones tend to pickup certain sounds better than others. It drives and feels fine, yes?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
The faster paced ticking is the high pressure injectors as mine sounds the same. I can't say what the other slower ticking is, mine doesn't have that sound, but then again microphones tend to pickup certain sounds better than others. It drives and feels fine, yes?
It does sound a little louder on the camera, but you can definitely hear it in person. Some people may not notice it, especially if they aren't listening for it, but I notice this kind of stuff. I stopped by my BMW mechanic and he said it's normal and that it's the injectors, but I thought the injectors were faster paced, like you noted. It's easiest to hear from the side of the vehicle when the hood is closed. It drives and feels fine. No issues. I also found a video on YouTube of a brand new 2012 that seems to have a bit of the same sound when he pans by the front driver's side wheel (so same as mine), so maybe it is a normal sound. Hard to tell, but around 4:15-4:30 of this video seems to sound about the same with the slower, louder tick.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=q_3Ngjx-VKE
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Yeah, that's pretty much normal. Have you had the injector recall done on your engine? I had the same issue with my '13 M, the sound got increasingly louder. Sounded like a sewing machine. Once I had the injector recall done the sound decreased but didn't totally go away. I was told that the fuel rails are high pressure and that's the sound of the injectors, which is normal. Hope that makes you feel a little better.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain
Yeah, that's pretty much normal. Have you had the injector recall done on your engine? I had the same issue with my '13 M, the sound got increasingly louder. Sounded like a sewing machine. Once I had the injector recall done the sound decreased but didn't totally go away. I was told that the fuel rails are high pressure and that's the sound of the injectors, which is normal. Hope that makes you feel a little better.
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I have the sewing machine sound, but then also the louder and slower tick, tick, tick. That's the sound you're talking about though? The louder one that becomes more apparent in my first video when I'm panned down on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
badge1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 M

Have a 10 ///M and also have the sewing machine sound. Injector recall has been performed. All good.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
F9T
Captain
Rep

When people refer to the sewing machine sound, are they referring to the faster sound (the one you can hear best when I am directly above the motor in the first video) or the slower sound (the one you can hear best when I am by the wheel in the first video)? My concern was with the slower sound, but I think I hear the same sound in the video I posted of the brand new white 2012.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I've had that sound. See thread:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...2#post19693692

EDIT:
To sum it up, some have it some don't. There are two distinct sounds between the injectors and valves tapping. Some may have it but think it's the injectors and write it off. BMW claims it's normal valve tapping...but if not everyone has it, how can it be normal? It doesn't decrease performance in any respect and is a very expensive job to do, which may or may not fix the issue...

Last edited by mirob; 09-19-2016 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob
I've had that sound. See thread:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...2#post19693692

EDIT:
To sum it up, some have it some don't. There are two distinct sounds between the injectors and valves tapping. Some may have it but think it's the injectors and write it off. BMW claims it's normal valve tapping...but if not everyone has it, how can it be normal? It doesn't decrease performance in any respect and is a very expensive job to do, which may or may not fix the issue...
Do you have a video of yours? Sounds like these two sounds are "normal," so I guess I'm not going to worry about it. Like I said, you can hear the same ticking sound on the video of the brand new vehicle I posted, so I would think it actually has to be somewhat normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
Do you have a video of yours? Sounds like these two sounds are "normal," so I guess I'm not going to worry about it. Like I said, you can hear the same ticking sound on the video of the brand new vehicle I posted, so I would think it actually has to be somewhat normal.
Mine comes and goes, that's why I'm thinking that it's not entirely normal. Sometimes I don't hear it for days. After my last oil change, it was gone for nearly a month...I was excited because I thought it resolved itself but alas, it was back...

The two videos below is me recording an unrelated sound but you can hear the tapping.

It's very apparent when my phone is near the "rear" of the engine.

In the second video it's a lot more noticeable. Also, the tapping disappears while the engine is under load, but returns noticeably once the engine settles again to idle.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
F9T
Captain
Rep

Was just told by a third BMW mechanic that it sounds normal and also confirmed with the original owner that it had sounded the same since new. It definitely sounds louder in the video than in person, and i am definitely paranoid about these things, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
Steve50
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 e70 4.8i

It can very well be the injectors, but the fact that it happens after its been running for a while opens up the valve possibility. I would suggest you have the injector recall performed to eliminate it as a possibility.
Appreciate 0