XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' X5 4.8i

Lightbulb Any mod recommendations for my first 09' 4.8i ??

Hello all! I recently purchased my first E70 for my wife and 2 week old baby girl (even though I drive it the most) and was curious if anyone can please recommend some good / tasteful mods to start off with for a newB? It's space grey by the way to give you an idea of what I'm working with. I already purchased a brand new set of 469m wheels and tires, had some custom coding done, as well as get the LUX H8 LED headlight bulb replacements. By the way, are rear fender flares absolutely necessary once I install the 20" 469m wheel & tire combo?

Unfortunately I'm not in the same position as some of the other members of this site in order to write blank checks and go crazy (just yet) due to having a newborn in our household. However, I've caught the mod bug and want to separate our E70 from the pack and make tasteful yet beneficial changes to it. This week I'm planning on purchasing from a fellow board member OEM rear flares, a sport steering wheel, as well as an entertainment / video system for the back seat passengers. I also really like the sound (from what I see and hear on YouTube clips) when E70 owners install an x-pipe while keeping the rest of the factory exhaust stock.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated from you pros out there that have built some incredible looking X5's!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

REALLY?! No advice from ANYONE on cool things to add to an E70 to make it look better...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Congrats brother, my first was born 5 months ago and I jumped into the X5 platform as well.

In order of importance:

1. Warranty
2. Pads/Rotors
3. Good Tires

After that, it's up to you. What color is your ride? I personally like the yellowish halos on my BSM M. Looks like a mod.

Also, look at getting a good exhaust. I was concerned about a loud exhaust with a newborn but these X5's are sound proof. Also, the little exhaust noise she hears actually puts her to sleep. We have a running joke now that if we need her to go to sleep outside her schedule we just take her for a ride. It's perfect.

Tints, some good wheels, and a monthly detail are a must. Enjoy in good health!
      03-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0si / R171 SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil
REALLY?! No advice from ANYONE on cool things to add to an E70 to make it look better...
I replied to your other thread:

I was in the same exact position as you when I bought my truck (only difference is that my daughters haven't arrived yet). I can't afford to write blank cheques either and cars are exponentially more expensive in Hong Kong so I decided to get a good condition 2007 3.0si.

This is what I've done:
- Style 375 reps (20") on Michelin Latitude Pilot Sport 3's
- (F)15mm (R)20mm spacers
- OEM Fender Arch upgrade
- OEM Interior LED light package upgrade
- Painted calipers and hubs (ricey - I know but it tickles my fancy)
- H&R lowering springs 1.2" w/ rear links
- REP M Performance Grille
- REP Aero Kit painted Piano black
- Philips 6000K HID Bulb upgrade
- Philips 6000K HID Fog kit
- LUX H8 AE
- Depo REP LCI Tail lights
- Piano black interior wrap
- Upgraded iDrive monitor (China brand) w/ OEM reverse
- Match PP82 DSP
- Blackvue Front / Rear Blackbox Camera

I will likely top it off with getting bigger tips (painted black) but that is probably all. I also want to paint my running boards black but there are no good powder-coaters in HK unfortunately.
      03-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 4.8i E70

-M performance grilles
-Coding for folding mirrors and windows up/down when locking and unlocking
-LED interior lighting
-since u have a 2 week old i wouldnt suggest runflat tires
-you dont need a lowering kit but if you want to go with a drop do a 1.2" it will ride pretty close to stock.
-spacers
-eyelids
-exhaust tips
-tune
Hmmmmm debadge, get a nice waxing and sealant
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
Parise2713
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 FBO E70 X5

Agreed with most of the others. I wanted to have the exhaust done. Was on a bit of a budget so I went with an exhaust cutout. Great for the price and the control is great. Stock when you want it and louder with a click of the button. Recently picked up a set of spacers and the extended flares. Had my rims powder coated. Looking to get a bms intake and possible a tune at some point. Don't know too much about the tuning options for your truck, worth looking in to though. Grilles and tints go a long way to start.

Good luck, enjoy the truck

Padnydetailing.com

IG/ Facebook: Padnydetailing
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up Thanks!

A HUGE THANKS to everyone's quick responses!!! I really appreciate the feedback. Like I touched on in the OP, my brand new set of OEM 469m wheels and tires (off of a 2015) arrived last Friday and they look AWESOME paired with the Space Grey body color. This weekend I'd like to have the windows tinted as well as go ahead and get the set of rear OEM extended fender flares from a very kind board member that is giving me a great deal on them. I figured the front fender flares weren't an absolute necessity considering that they don't have much of a flare to them. Am I making the right or wrong decision on that? Do you all feel that I will ultimately regret not getting the front fender flares as well and then have to add them later on?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 4.8i E70

If it doesnt bother you then u should be fine. like you said the front ones arent that noticable especially on the non-m or msport
Tint is definitely a must
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

The fronts don't flare out much but they will look weird with the flat molds front vs the rear extended flares. Just my opinion..

I have an 07 4.8 and I did muffler delete, it's a bit loud in the cabin when you are at low revs and opening it up. I may put some pancake or regular mufflers back in to tone it down a little bit and the have him h pipe it towards the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up Appreciate your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
The fronts don't flare out much but they will look weird with the flat molds front vs the rear extended flares. Just my opinion..

I have an 07 4.8 and I did muffler delete, it's a bit loud in the cabin when you are at low revs and opening it up. I may put some pancake or regular mufflers back in to tone it down a little bit and the have him h pipe it towards the back.
Yeah that actually makes sense about the flares. Good point. Anyone know the best place to get the full kit with rivets for a reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Talking Finally installed the wheels and tires today!

WooooHoooo! Finally made my first (semi) major mod yesterday to my wife's recently acquired (yet used) E70 and went forward with the installation of some new 469m dealer takeoff wheels and tires that were acquired from a new F15. I love the way they look! Especially from the rear because the 315's look like you mean business when people pull up behind you.

With the addition of an x-pipe, black grille, and tinting the windows (just for now). I'd like to think that would help create the all around mean look and sound that I'm seeking from the 4.8 that I'm wanting to piece together for the family ride. All doing so, without going too over board in the case I decide to turn around and resale it soon in order to get a newer X5 for the wife. All men know the saying "Happy wife... Happy life" lol. However, I'm now extremely tempted to lower it just a tad bit while not ruining the ride quality due to having a 3 week old baby always in the back seat. Knowing that I'm still new to the E70 community and not sure how lowering works with the airbags etc. What say you guys? Any opinions regarding a tasteful lowering kit? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
devildogae
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
I replied to your other thread:

I was in the same exact position as you when I bought my truck (only difference is that my daughters haven't arrived yet). I can't afford to write blank cheques either and cars are exponentially more expensive in Hong Kong so I decided to get a good condition 2007 3.0si.

This is what I've done:
- Style 375 reps (20") on Michelin Latitude Pilot Sport 3's
- (F)15mm (R)20mm spacers
- OEM Fender Arch upgrade
- OEM Interior LED light package upgrade
- Painted calipers and hubs (ricey - I know but it tickles my fancy)
- H&R lowering springs 1.2" w/ rear links
- REP M Performance Grille
- REP Aero Kit painted Piano black
- Philips 6000K HID Bulb upgrade
- Philips 6000K HID Fog kit
- LUX H8 AE
- Depo REP LCI Tail lights
- Piano black interior wrap
- Upgraded iDrive monitor (China brand) w/ OEM reverse
- Match PP82 DSP
- Blackvue Front / Rear Blackbox Camera

I will likely top it off with getting bigger tips (painted black) but that is probably all. I also want to paint my running boards black but there are no good powder-coaters in HK unfortunately.
You have any details about where you got the LED interior lights upgrades from?

Also got any pics of your ride with the spacers? I'd really like to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogae View Post

Will do a shoot soon, will update you.

Got the LEDs from Scmiedmann from Germany but that's because RealOEM doesn't ship outside of the US (the latter being the cheaper version).
      03-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Parise2713
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 FBO E70 X5

Looks great! Sounds like a good mod list. Don't know a whole lot about the drop. Do know that it would look good but that's about it.

The rear fender flares make the biggest difference. Would still consider finding the fronts later on, adds a little bit more depth to the car. Rears are a great start though.

Looking forward to seeing some more updates.

Padnydetailing.com

IG/ Facebook: Padnydetailing
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:38 AM   #15
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogae View Post

For your reference - crappy iPhone pic
Attached Images

04-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #16
br44
Rep
Drives: 2008 x5

mods

truck looks great its amazing how much difference wheels make i purchased a 2008 x5 3.0 a few months ago and the 18" wheels drove me crazy looked horrible so i searched and got a great deal on these 20" 336 ordered the black grille from newton nj bmw for $119 found them on eBay i will be installing those this weekend also upgraded headlights to LUXH8 angel eyes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #17
DIY_Nation_TH
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 4.8I

GT500 Mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
I will be adding Mustang GT500 mufflers to mine on monday! Don't think it's ever been done yet, at least not on Youtube.
Appreciate 0