XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
Park828
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i msprt e60 550i msprt

damn do i have to have my x5 in NY to do this?! i'd love to do this
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
Rob NY
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
damn do i have to have my x5 in NY to do this?! i'd love to do this
No you don't have to bring ur car to NY.

We just need more guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob NY View Post
It won't cost much if we can get a few guys to go for it and yes it would shed alot weight top weight.
The E90 roof IND did (not factoring in the sunroof) had a total weight savings of about 15 lbs. Granted, if he had a sunroof to start the weight savings would be more, but either way I don't think we're talking hundreds of pounds here.

IIRC, the cost for that was around $3k, but that was a much smaller roof, and much easier to work on. Plus you can get a factory headliner with no sunroof, so no custom work there.

I would love to see this happen, so best of luck in finding a group of guys to take the plunge - I just can't imagine this coming in at any less than $5k...probably more...plus you have to get your car to and from Chicago.
      01-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #26
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
The E90 roof IND did (not factoring in the sunroof) had a total weight savings of about 15 lbs. Granted, if he had a sunroof to start the weight savings would be more, but either way I don't think we're talking hundreds of pounds here.

IIRC, the cost for that was around $3k, but that was a much smaller roof, and much easier to work on. Plus you can get a factory headliner with no sunroof, so no custom work there.

I would love to see this happen, so best of luck in finding a group of guys to take the plunge - I just can't imagine this coming in at any less than $5k...probably more...plus you have to get your car to and from Chicago.

Don't forget that the X5 either M or not have pana roof that's a lot of glass which means a lot of weight. Also don't forget that's top weight and honestly I would think with all the motors and tracks inside you are going to save over 100lb.
If we get enough guys to be willing to do it it's not going to be anywhere close to 5k for sure. Some of us might have to ship the car to Chicago hopefully some of those guys are local but once we start this project with IND they will be able to ship the roof to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #27
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't forget that the X5 either M or not have pana roof that's a lot of glass which means a lot of weight. Also don't forget that's top weight and honestly I would think with all the motors and tracks inside you are going to save over 100lb.
If we get enough guys to be willing to do it it's not going to be anywhere close to 5k for sure. Some of us might have to ship the car to Chicago hopefully some of those guys are local but once we start this project with IND they will be able to ship the roof to anyone.
Did IND give you a ballpark price, or is 'not going to be anywhere close to 5k for sure' just a gut feeling?

I'm not trying to be rude or rain on you parade, but if you yourself aren't prepared to spend $5-10k once everything is said done (plus possibly be without your car for a month) I might suggest looking at other mods instead.
      01-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #28
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
Did IND give you a ballpark price, or is 'not going to be anywhere close to 5k for sure' just a gut feeling?

I'm not trying to be rude or rain on you parade, but if you yourself aren't prepared to spend $5-10k once everything is said done (plus possibly be without your car for a month) I might suggest looking at other mods instead.

I know that if we get enough guys willing to do this the cost won't be close to 5k for sure and yes I'm ready to spend the money that I need to get my carbon roof. Hope to have it before summer comes around.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I know that if we get enough guys willing to do this the cost won't be close to 5k for sure and yes I'm ready to spend the money that I need to get my carbon roof. Hope to have it before summer comes around.
Great! Can't wait to see the final result.
      01-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #30
MaxSpeedX5M
Need 4 Speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

i am interested...
      01-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSpeedX5M View Post
i am interested...
Good, two so far...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #32
Park828
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i msprt e60 550i msprt

ok count me in how many do we need? and mine is a x5 5.0 m sport. im guessing its the same roof...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #33
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
ok count me in how many do we need? and mine is a x5 5.0 m sport. im guessing its the same roof...

Same roof. Three so far.

We need at least five guys to start this project.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0