XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Austria

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #24
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Hey, here's a question for the well-versed: What is that he is in at 0:20 sec on the video ? Is that a vehicle train ? Because it looks pretty nice. My ED trip called for me to use one of these but I freaked out since I thought it would be a crappy vehicle carrier that would scratch my rims and destroy my front lip, but if that is a vehicle train at 0:20 then it's quite awesome and nice ! Far beyond my expectations

So let me know if this is what I am looking at :P

BTW, great video.. Car sounds amazing, but MAN I don't like that car.. Uglier than sin, and this coming from an Audi fan. I'd buy the NSX or save up for a lambo (same product) any day (I'm sure someone will disagree, heh)

But ya, the video reminds me a bit of my ED trip (minus the balls to the wall speeds) except I was on summers and we were right on the edge of the passes being open or closed at any particular time. Best example was in the French Alps Col de la Bonette, where the pass opened literally a couple hours before we got there, and some signs even were still saying it was closed. And man, was that spectacular. We were pretty much the only ones up there, with incredible photos (see signature, ED day 5)

Last edited by absoluteis350; 02-20-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Hey, here's a question for the well-versed: What is that he is in at 0:20 sec on the video ? Is that a vehicle train ? Because it looks pretty nice. My ED trip called for me to use one of these but I freaked out since I thought it would be a crappy vehicle carrier that would scratch my rims and destroy my front lip, but if that is a vehicle train at 0:20 then it's quite awesome and nice ! Far beyond my expectations

So let me know if this is what I am looking at :P

^^That is the Euro Thunnel... driving from the UK into France. Once in France he drove the French Autoroute(tolls) down into Austria.

www.eurotunnel.com/uk/home

There are lots of vehicular trains in Europe/Switzerland. Places like in Zermatt, Switzerland - you can not even drive into that city... you have to park your car and take a train into that ski village.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #26
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
So, it turns out i haven't actually driven the Hahntennjoch, so i've just amended this year's road trip to include it

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #27
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^That is the Euro Thunnel... driving from the UK into France. Once in France he drove the French Autoroute(tolls) down into Austria.

www.eurotunnel.com/uk/home

There are lots of vehicular trains in Europe/Switzerland. Places like in Zermatt, Switzerland - you can not even drive into that city... you have to park your car and take a train into that ski village.

Dackel
Excellent, Thanks Dackel

I found the car train I bypassed, the Vereina Train. Just watched a YouTube video on it. In comparison, it isn't the nicest car train, so probably was best for my nerves to not use it But I'm sure it would have been fine.

edit- Not it wouldn't be fine.. lol... everything I have read now seems to support its a horrible experience LOL

Last edited by absoluteis350; 02-20-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Excellent, Thanks Dackel

I found the car train I bypassed, the Vereina Train. Just watched a YouTube video on it. In comparison, it isn't the nicest car train, so probably was best for my nerves to not use it But I'm sure it would have been fine.

edit- Not it wouldn't be fine.. lol... everything I have read now seems to support its a horrible experience LOL
Yeah... I am not really into putting my car onto a train either.

Btw... have you ever driven Flüela Pass near Davos, Switzerland. It's also a nice pass(near Stelvio, Italy). You just have to mind your speed in Switzerland... they are very anti-car... the speed limit is only 80 kph on back roads and IF the Polizei catch you traveling more than 40 kph over the speed limit... they can legally TAKE your car!! The Italian are far more forgiving!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #29
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent, Thanks Dackel

Btw... have you ever driven Flüela Pass near Davos, Switzerland. It's also a nice pass(near Stelvio, Italy). You just have to mind your speed in Switzerland... they are very anti-car... the speed limit is only 80 kph on back roads and IF the Polizei catch you traveling more than 40 kph over the speed limit... they can legally TAKE your car!! The Italian are far more forgiving!

Dackel
Did Flüela Pass on my ED trip because Stelvio had closed. Dropped into Davos. This was October 11 of last year just before things start getting sketchy. Was lots of snow on the side of the road and they were finishing the summer construction projects on the way up but it was nonetheless stunning. Highly recommend this one as well!!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #30
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fluela Pass?

Definitely been there. Time for some photo whoring any opportunity

Appreciate 2
      02-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #31
Redandy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i GS/CR

Drove the Nufenen Pass on the way back from Venice in 2011 which was fantastic in an F10 - this summer we have another trip planned this time down to Croatia in F32 40i - can't wait !! Planned route once through Germany is onto the Grossglockner Pass through Austria then on thro Slovenia into Croatia - drive back along E65 coastal road then back thro the Alps via Furka & Grimsel Pass and then another blast on the Autobahns north - 24 days in total with stops in some stunning places throughout Europe.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #32
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Dackel
YES lol
That's the pass that I almost pooped myself on. Because of the time of year (October), running summer tires, snow in the forecast for that night, it was already 6pm, and I was unfamiliar with how much higher it would go

We got to a junction in the road and it was either that Vereina train tunnel (not even sure it was still running that time of night) or Fluela pass.. Here's the excerpt from my ED journal:

Anyway, time and kms wore on, as we drove towards Davos. By now it had started to get dark, but the Nav showed only 26km to Davos. We entered the town of Susch. The sign said left, to Davos, via a moutain pass "Fluela pass". There was a light stating the pass was open (meaning that there were obviously times when it was closed, which definitely came into my thoughts). As it was getting dark, with rain/possibly snow in the forecast and not knowing how high the mountain pass was, I decided I would be more comfortable if I went further north to what appeared to be a nice long tunnel, Vereinatunnel. So I turned onto the main road towards the tunnel, only to realize that there was a little picture of a car on top of a train, on the tunnel sign. Crap.. a car train. No way in hell I was putting my new M3 on a train. But those were my only two options.. no other way to get to Davos. So after my wife and I half-heartedly muttered to each other "how bad can it be, we will be fine, its only 26km", we took the pass. At night. In light rain. With snow in the forecast. By the end of this pass, I had shat myself so very thoroughly. One of the hairiest drives of my life. Let me read for you, an excerpt about the pass from dangerousroads.org: "Conditions can change quickly and be harsh." "Road closures can be frequent." The road ... has a fearsome reputation" and my personal favorite "The road is difficult and it’s a nightmare in the wet or dark (or both)." That is my favorite part: It is a nightmare in the wet and dark, which it was. Oh yea, and possibly snowy too.

So as we started the pass, the temps were fine.. like 40F or thereabouts. The first part of the climb was fine, and I watched the kms to Davos click down. But the road kept climbing, and climbing. And the temperature started dropping. And the temp alarm on the car came on, to add to the ambiance. The worst part was that I had never driven this pass before, and therefore did not know what was to come, how much higher it would go, how much lower the temps would drop, when the snow would start (and how heavily it would snow on the pass, regardless of Davos’s “light” snow forecast), or what awaited us in the darkness. But we drove on slowly, with the “km remaining” ticking down. Then the visibility went to zero, literally. We entered into either a cloud or thick fog, the likes of which I had never seen. We could literally see 3 car lengths, maybe. We literally were driving at a crawl, in a cold sweat, not knowing what was ahead in the dark fog. And the time was ticking away with the prospect of snow getting all the more real with each passing minute. I seem to remember that the forecast had called for light snow at about 7pm, which it basically was by this point. However, we were enticingly close to our destination, like 15km left. So we drove on, white knuckled. This is a photo we took as we emerged from one cloud, right before descending into another cloud, which you can see the road going into. The ambient light was much darker than the photo indicates. We thought of stopping and trying to take some cool ‘in fog headlight’ photos, but I was too concerned with losing any time and potentially what weather we may find on the pass. We eventually made it out of the fog/cloud and to the other side. The drive into Davos was one of the happiest days of my life. We pulled up to the Davos Seehof hotel.

In retrospect, all good fun, lol
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #33
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Nice video!

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #34
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
YES lol
That's the pass that I almost pooped myself on. Because of the time of year (October), running summer tires, snow in the forecast for that night, it was already 6pm, and I was unfamiliar with how much higher it would go

We got to a junction in the road and it was either that Vereina train tunnel (not even sure it was still running that time of night) or Fluela pass.. Here's the excerpt from my ED journal:

Anyway, time and kms wore on, as we drove towards Davos. By now it had started to get dark, but the Nav showed only 26km to Davos. We entered the town of Susch. The sign said left, to Davos, via a moutain pass "Fluela pass". There was a light stating the pass was open (meaning that there were obviously times when it was closed, which definitely came into my thoughts). As it was getting dark, with rain/possibly snow in the forecast and not knowing how high the mountain pass was, I decided I would be more comfortable if I went further north to what appeared to be a nice long tunnel, Vereinatunnel. So I turned onto the main road towards the tunnel, only to realize that there was a little picture of a car on top of a train, on the tunnel sign. Crap.. a car train. No way in hell I was putting my new M3 on a train. But those were my only two options.. no other way to get to Davos. So after my wife and I half-heartedly muttered to each other "how bad can it be, we will be fine, its only 26km", we took the pass. At night. In light rain. With snow in the forecast. By the end of this pass, I had shat myself so very thoroughly. One of the hairiest drives of my life. Let me read for you, an excerpt about the pass from dangerousroads.org: "Conditions can change quickly and be harsh." "Road closures can be frequent." The road ... has a fearsome reputation" and my personal favorite "The road is difficult and it’s a nightmare in the wet or dark (or both)." That is my favorite part: It is a nightmare in the wet and dark, which it was. Oh yea, and possibly snowy too.

So as we started the pass, the temps were fine.. like 40F or thereabouts. The first part of the climb was fine, and I watched the kms to Davos click down. But the road kept climbing, and climbing. And the temperature started dropping. And the temp alarm on the car came on, to add to the ambiance. The worst part was that I had never driven this pass before, and therefore did not know what was to come, how much higher it would go, how much lower the temps would drop, when the snow would start (and how heavily it would snow on the pass, regardless of Davos’s “light” snow forecast), or what awaited us in the darkness. But we drove on slowly, with the “km remaining” ticking down. Then the visibility went to zero, literally. We entered into either a cloud or thick fog, the likes of which I had never seen. We could literally see 3 car lengths, maybe. We literally were driving at a crawl, in a cold sweat, not knowing what was ahead in the dark fog. And the time was ticking away with the prospect of snow getting all the more real with each passing minute. I seem to remember that the forecast had called for light snow at about 7pm, which it basically was by this point. However, we were enticingly close to our destination, like 15km left. So we drove on, white knuckled. This is a photo we took as we emerged from one cloud, right before descending into another cloud, which you can see the road going into. The ambient light was much darker than the photo indicates. We thought of stopping and trying to take some cool ‘in fog headlight’ photos, but I was too concerned with losing any time and potentially what weather we may find on the pass. We eventually made it out of the fog/cloud and to the other side. The drive into Davos was one of the happiest days of my life. We pulled up to the Davos Seehof hotel.

In retrospect, all good fun, lol
I did Val d'Isere in August.......and had to pull over on the climb to allow the snow plough pass

I was on summer tyres, and no traction.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #35
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
I did Val d'Isere in August.......and had to pull over on the climb to allow the snow plough pass

I was on summer tyres, and no traction.
LOL... Nice ! Val d'Isere .. another veteran of the French Alps Nice to meet u.
Appreciate 2
mjn771072.50
Dackelone10512.00
      02-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #36
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Thanks for sharing! Wish we had roads like that near NY
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #37
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Great video....but now I really miss driving my car
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #38
dch37
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Loved the vid! Thanks for sharing...

I spent a quite a few hours over two days going back and forth on the pass... it was awesome, albeit a bit nerve wrecking with all the motorcycles.. I have a detailed write up here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1295725
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #39
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Beautiful! Makes me want to drive some of my local Colorado mountain passes in my 335.
      02-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #40
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Oh wow, nice find! Can't wait to try it out myself in the near future
      02-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #41
ProfiNoob
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3 Sedan Individual

My favorit, have fun!

Twenty mountain passes with 9 different Porsche models in four days. Be sure to check out the 2.000 km drive from Timmelsjoch to Sustenpass in this video

Appreciate 2
Dackelone10512.00
inTgr8r2421.50
      02-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #42
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Stelvio not Dolomites!

This video just popped up from Porsche today... I found it funny because this video shows Stelvio Pass and not the Dolomites (Sella) area. Still a nice video though.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #43
ciressiws
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Smile Driving in the Alps

We did 3 European deliveries and since we are original from Switzerland. we combine 3-4 weeks hiking and driving the passes.
We really liked the Timmelsjoch and since they have the museum on top, it would be very advisable.
Last September we did Albula, which I think is more enjoyable that the Fluela.
Did that one twice.
On the way up the Albula you will see the world famous "Landwasse Viadut". I would suggest a ride with the glacier express to St. Moritz.
Last year we did in one day Maloja, Gotthard, Furka and Grimsel.
Never take the Gotthard tunnel, you will miss the cobblestones of the Tremola.
I could write for ever but maybe later.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      02-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciressiws View Post
We did 3 European deliveries and since we are original from Switzerland. we combine 3-4 weeks hiking and driving the passes.

We really liked the Timmelsjoch and since they have the museum on top, it would be very advisable.

Last September we did Albula, which I think is more enjoyable that the Fluela.

Did that one twice.
On the way up the Albula you will see the world famous "Landwasse Viadut". I would suggest a ride with the glacier express to St. Moritz.

Last year we did in one day Maloja, Gotthard, Furka and Grimsel.

Never take the Gotthard tunnel, you will miss the cobblestones of the Tremola.

I could write for ever but maybe later.

PLEASE DO!! I always enjoy discovering new places or hearing about places off the beaten path!

Dackel
Appreciate 0