XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

TAKING FOOT OFF GAS PEDAL while shifting in manual mode?

I use the paddle shifters quite often

I've noticed that taking my foot off the gas pedal during upshifting/downshifting has smoother shifts.

But is it really better?
More importantly, will this prolong the wear and tear of the car?

Cause there are times when I'm pressing down hard on the gas pedal and downshift abruptly to overtake during highspeed (2 gears down from D mode) the car somewhat hesitates for a split second before going.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

By the way, the car is a 2011 x6 35i with the SSG paddles (push to downshift and pull to upshift)

While cruising on the highway, I'm usually in S mode.

But when I need to overtake quickly, I usually press on the paddles to downshift a gear or 2 gears to get instant acceleration. (RPM goes to 5k or more)

I'm just not sure if this might be too harsh for the transmission cause sometimes during downshifts (while foot on gas pedal 70-80% throttle) I get a very slight hesitation before the car gets in gear and accelerates.

So basically, I was thinking, if I let off the gas pedal, will it be EASIER and FASTER for the gear to downshift/upshift?

and also lessening the possibility of transmission issues in the future?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
empwrd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bmw X5m

reset transmission first... See how that feels..... What you are suppose to do is make sure everything is off on the car for at least 10 minutes. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING..... I personally leave the doors unlocked. Then jump in and hold the gas all the way down till it clicks for 30 seconds.. Sometimes you hear a sound, sometimes you don't. It's really faint. Then, with gas still depressed, INSERT key fob and start car. It should reset the adaptation curve. This will quicken your acccelerators response a little...
FWIW I personally dont drive in S but in full Manual mode. I don't like how the engine stays revving so high even when I don't need it that high. Full control is better..... Third pedal would be best....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by empwrd View Post
reset transmission first... See how that feels..... What you are suppose to do is make sure everything is off on the car for at least 10 minutes. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING..... I personally leave the doors unlocked. Then jump in and hold the gas all the way down till it clicks for 30 seconds.. Sometimes you hear a sound, sometimes you don't. It's really faint. Then, with gas still depressed, INSERT key fob and start car. It should reset the adaptation curve. This will quicken your acccelerators response a little...
FWIW I personally dont drive in S but in full Manual mode. I don't like how the engine stays revving so high even when I don't need it that high. Full control is better..... Third pedal would be best....
Ok thanks, i'll try this, but when do I release the gas pedal?
I'll start the car in full throttle?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
Ok thanks, i'll try this, but when do I release the gas pedal?
I'll start the car in full throttle?
Basically what you need to do is turn the car on to accessory, don't hold the brake pedal down. Then hold the gas pedal down for about 30-45 seconds. Release and then turn the car off accessory and wait about 2-3 minutes (don't need to wait 10 minutes) and then turn the car back on, your transmission will have reset itself and you will notice crisper shifts. The transmission will learn what you do driving style wise.

On your note, I do sometimes tend to let off the gas while driving in manual if I'm just taking it easy. If I go WOT, I don't let off the gas at all.
Appreciate 0