E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So much help needed

10-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive

Exclamation So much help needed

Hey guys.. Im losing my mind here. I have a 2006 E90 325XI 109,000 miles on the engine (N52 i assume) and i'm having so much trouble from it. It all started when i noticed some oil coming from the bottom of the oil filter housing gasket. I noticed my tensioner and couple of pulleys had some oil on them too. So naturally, when my car's idling became rough.. I thought the problem HAD to be with the leaking gasket/tensioner/dirty pulley. But after some investigation.. That's probably causing the rattling noise and squeaks i hear. But has nothing to do with rough idle? I have no idea where to go from here, and being as how its getting cold in my part. Im about to buy propane to heat the house on top of car parts, on top of labor. (Because my tools have been stolen twice now) ... So any help would be much appreciated, i'm completely confused at this point and trying to avoid buying parts i don't know if i need.. Here are my symptoms:

Rough idle with fluctuating RPM on cold starts - usually stops when warm.

rattling sound and squeaks from pulley. (pretty sure)

RPM fluctuation is starting to happen anytime the car stops but not very noticeable.

possible loss of power, not terrible if at all.

Service (reminder) light just came on to test smog i believe. The car symbol with two S shapes

Also, i sometimes get a ticking sound thats linked to the RPM's but generally goes away after driving 10 minutes.

Right now i'm averaging 32.6 MPG, at 62MPH @ 2,200rpm for my 30 minute drive to work. Cruise control the entire trip, so its not like im hard on my car. I rarely get it into high rpms. But it sounds and acts like crap until warm. I will be trading this spring for a 2015 model, but since BMW's already have a terrible stigma with breaking down.. I would rather not trade for some poor sap to turn around and buy my car with its current problems.

I should also mention, i just changed the air filter last weekend and cleaned the MAF sensor. I use Vpower from shell, no cheap gas. Oil change about 200 miles ago. I have the OFH gasket in the mail, on its way. Waiting to find a decent price on tensioner/deflector pulley/belt. But i'm afraid i need to fix my big issue asap, and the closest stealership is roughly 120 miles away, no local independents either. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

You can buy the pulleys/belt kit from autohausAZ for about 112 shipped. I would also try cleaning your vanos solenoids (check DIY section for more info). Also check your eccentric shaft sensor for any oil, sounds like the same symptoms I had until I replaced the ECS and cleaned my solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks 7786. I found the belt kit for roughly $200 after shipping, so thats much better. I had planned to do the Vanos cleaning this weekend while fixing the gasket, would that effect idling or just as a precaution? Im going to drive it the rest of the week, and hopefully by this weekend all my parts are in and i can get to work. If it comes to it, my friend owns a garage, so i may print out some DIY's and let him have a crack at it. Im sure it would be much quicker for him.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Oh, if oil is found on the eccentric shaft sensor.. Replace it or just clean it?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

If you see oil in the ESC, it's too late and unfortunately you'll need to have it changed. I just had this done about 3 weeks ago, you'll have to replace the valve cover gaskets/bolts while you're at it. This fixed some pretty bad idle surgings I had as well as the automatic transmission shifting weirdly.

I cleaned my vanos solenoids just this past weekend, for me it helped smooth the idle out a bit. Others have reported it helping with hesitations at certain RPMs as well. This one doesn't cost anything and is easy and simple to do, so it's definitely worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I replaced the pulleys, oil filter housing gasket, belt, cleaned VANOS and a seafoam treatment... But my car still didn't feel right. My friend had a MAF sensor for me to try... Sure enough, it corrected the rough idling. I had tried cleaning my old one, but i guess it just went bad after 6 years and 110,000 miles.

I took the car to my dealer for a tune-up quote, and decided for that price I might as well just put the money down on a new car. So i left in a 2013 328i xdrive with 22k miles... I'll let them deal with the tune-up lol
Appreciate 0