XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Berriosc
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5si

Wassup group

How do I take off the roof rails on a 2008 x5??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
L.A.S.
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

It is a massive pain to remove them but if you really want to do it go ahead. What you need to do is remove the headliner. This is done by removing the bolts under the visor, the bolts under the handles on each corner of the car. The bolts are all hidden under the plastic caps. You will also need to remove all the airbag plastic caps. there are 2 in the front on the pillars and there are 2 on the back pillars. you can just pop them off with a screw driver. you will also need to remove the headliner center console. That is easy to pop off, just use your hands to do it, no tools. It will hang by a bunch of wires which is okay unless you want to just unplug everything which I chose not to. Now the headliner is held in by clips on the inside. Gently pull the headliner down. I chose to do one side of the roof at a time so I wouldn't have to remove the whole thing. You will also have to remove the pillar airbags, they just slide out. Now you should be able to see the screw that holds the roof rail in. There will be 2 in the front, 2 in the middle and 2 in the back. I used a pliers to untwist them because it's a weird bolt. This part was a huge pain. You will need to then cover the holes on your roof. I used rubber plugs. That is all I remember doing, I hope I didn't leave anything out. Good luck!
Appreciate 0