XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

01-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #617
Dossey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
No muting whatsoever. Hear the spooling loud and clear. It's my favorite part of the exhaust note. Love me some spool. This midpipe cat solution might be just what you are looking for then. The Dinan exhaust should help to keep the cold start tolerable while refining the tone just like my Eisenmann sport does. I say go for it. Just know that if you use 100 cell you will still have a little smell. Not near as bad as catless, but some none the less. I'm sure a pair of 200 cells would probably eliminate it, but I'm in no rush as the smell is very mild.
Thanks for the info. I don't mind a little smell so I will most likely go with the 100 cells. In fact, I might even just go completely catless first and just see how it is with the latest Velos tune, then add the 100 cells if I need it.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #618
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Seen some scenic pics of your M on Velosdesigns instagram
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #619
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT
thanks for pointing it out, just saw it myself, beautiful shots, only 2 pic, not enough( still waiting for that promised photoshoot)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #620
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
thanks for pointing it out, just saw it myself, beautiful shots, only 2 pic, not enough( still waiting for that promised photoshoot)

Thanks guys! There are actually 10 pics from the shoot currently. The photographer says he has two more he will be adding soon. I have them and so does Velos. They do belong to Velos though so I'm not posting anything until given permission. I'm assuming they will be releasing the media soon. After they officially release it, I'll add them all to my thread here if they are cool with it.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #621
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys! There are actually 10 pics from the shoot currently. The photographer says he has two more he will be adding soon. I have them and so does Velos. They do belong to Velos though so I'm not posting anything until given permission. I'm assuming they will be releasing the media soon. After they officially release it, I'll add them all to my thread here if they are cool with it.
waiting impatiently, based on what I've see so far they gonna be gorgeous!
Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #622
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Speaking of preventative replacement, had a front suspension refresh done over the break. New lower control arms, tension arms, tie rods, and powerflex swaybar bushings front/rear with new endlinks. Next up is front wheel bearing replacement. Probably happening in a couple weeks, ordering the parts today.

New parts. Only thing missing from this photo is the rear powerflex swaybar bushings and oem endlinks. Also had my powerflex tension arm bushings swapped over to the new arms, which is not shown here.

Mess of parts:

Powerflex bushings in on the tension arms:

Shiny. Nothing like new oem suspension arms to refresh the driving experience:

This photo below is for the guys wondering about my catless downpipe cats in the midpipes setup. For reference here is my exhaust setup:

1. AR Design catless downpipes ceramic coated.
2. PTP S63 turbo blanket. Sits on top of the oem metal heatsheild.
3. Supersprint section 1 with 100 cell milspec cats welded in.
4. Supersprint section 2 xpipe.
5. Eisenmann sport black series muffler with 90mm rolled tips.

Here is the midpipe cat/xpipe setup:

I got this idea from the older euro M3's before emissions got too strict so it's not a foreign concept. My main goal was to remove heat from the engine bay and this setup accomplishes that perfectly. I still have a little smell since I went with 100 cell, but going 200 or 400 would definitely eliminate it. The sport valved muffler also controls cold start and refines my systems sound. Straight pipe systems sound unrefined to me so a brand like Eisenmann that focuses solely on sound improvement with valve control was just what I was looking for.

I'm getting ready to throw a set of KW V3 coilovers on my X5M. I'm at 34,000 miles and was wondering what suspension related items would you recommend that I include in the coilover install? It looks like you have upgraded quite a few suspension pieces and I'm particularly interested in what bushings you think the suspension could benefit from.

Was it a necessity for you to replace the lower control arms, tension arms and tie rods or was it purely preventative maint.?

Also do the KW's come with new endlinks? If not would you recommend getting a new set or perhaps just replacing the bushings in the OEM set?

I have really enjoyed your build thread and you have inspired me to create one of my own. I appreciate all of the great ideas you have given me and with luck will have an X5M that looks half as good as yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #623
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1807 View Post
I'm getting ready to throw a set of KW V3 coilovers on my X5M. I'm at 34,000 miles and was wondering what suspension related items would you recommend that I include in the coilover install? It looks like you have upgraded quite a few suspension pieces and I'm particularly interested in what bushings you think the suspension could benefit from.

Was it a necessity for you to replace the lower control arms, tension arms and tie rods or was it purely preventative maint.?

Also do the KW's come with new endlinks? If not would you recommend getting a new set or perhaps just replacing the bushings in the OEM set?

I have really enjoyed your build thread and you have inspired me to create one of my own. I appreciate all of the great ideas you have given me and with luck will have an X5M that looks half as good as yours.

First off thank you for the huge compliment sir! I'm glad I could inspire others to gets crazy with the beasts and the documentation that goes along with such a transformation. I look forward to your journal.

Regarding your questions lets break them down:

1. For complimentary mods to the coilovers I say it depends what you are after. If comfort in your number 1 priority, just the coilovers will do. If max performance suspension wise is your goal, then read on.

If you are looking at an in-between and could only do two mods suspension wise, it would be the KW's and the Powerflex thrust arm bushings in black spec. There will be some harshness from the thrust arm bushings, but nothing extreme whatsoever. The feel in the wheel and preciseness of the system afterwards is worth it.

For camber your settings will be off by a half degree from front to rear unless you get the oem -.5 camber arms. The only other way to combat this is with Powerflex's eccentric rear camber bolts. They allow more rear camber adjustment than stock.

So simply put, if you use my KW settings in height and shock, you will be at -1.5 front and -2 rear. If you want -2 front, get the oem camber arm. If you want -1.5 rear get the Powerflex rear camber bolts.

The last items, the black spec swaybar bushings would be the final piece. They definietly increased harshness a bit on top of everything else, but the beast feels much more solid and stable now in the turns. It's hard to describe. It's almost like they relieved the stress from the motor in the electronic swaybars allowing it turn with greater ease. You will loose comfort though. Nowhere near fully modded M3 levels suspension wise, but some non the less. The X5M with all of these mods is still more comfortable than my e60 M5, which is stock minus some monoballs supension wise for now...

2. Regarding all new oem front arms I have been chasing a vibration through the wheel from 55-70 under full acceleration. Switched wheels and tires, nothing. Rebalanced, nothing. Replaced all arms, 95% better. I'm hoping the wheel bearing replacement will fix the last 5%.

3. The KW's come with rear shocks, rear shock mounts, rear adjustment height links, and front coilovers, but no top mount for the front. You will need to use your existing oem ones. If your oem parts are old through either age or mileage, I would replace them. Much easier putting new parts in now than later. I'm a big fan of all new oem hardware as well during the install. Especially since some of them are technically one time use. It's cheap insurance to me. I'm weird like that. Plus if for some reason some oem fasteners or endlinks get destroyed during the removal process, you don't have a project stop situation.

This concludes the long winded response. Yes, it was some good coffee.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #624
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First off thank you for the huge compliment sir! I'm glad I could inspire others to gets crazy with the beasts and the documentation that goes along with such a transformation. I look forward to your journal.

Regarding your questions lets break them down:

1. For complimentary mods to the coilovers I say it depends what you are after. If comfort in your number 1 priority, just the coilovers will do. If max performance suspension wise is your goal, then read on.

If you are looking at an in-between and could only do two mods suspension wise, it would be the KW's and the Powerflex thrust arm bushings in black spec. There will be some harshness from the thrust arm bushings, but nothing extreme whatsoever. The feel in the wheel and preciseness of the system afterwards is worth it.

For camber your settings will be off by a half degree from front to rear unless you get the oem -.5 camber arms. The only other way to combat this is with Powerflex's eccentric rear camber bolts. They allow more rear camber adjustment than stock.

So simply put, if you use my KW settings in height and shock, you will be at -1.5 front and -2 rear. If you want -2 front, get the oem camber arm. If you want -1.5 rear get the Powerflex rear camber bolts.

The last items, the black spec swaybar bushings would be the final piece. They definietly increased harshness a bit on top of everything else, but the beast feels much more solid and stable now in the turns. It's hard to describe. It's almost like they relieved the stress from the motor in the electronic swaybars allowing it turn with greater ease. You will loose comfort though. Nowhere near fully modded M3 levels suspension wise, but some non the less. The X5M with all of these mods is still more comfortable than my e60 M5, which is stock minus some monoballs supension wise for now...

2. Regarding all new oem front arms I have been chasing a vibration through the wheel from 55-70 under full acceleration. Switched wheels and tires, nothing. Rebalanced, nothing. Replaced all arms, 95% better. I'm hoping the wheel bearing replacement will fix the last 5%.

3. The KW's come with rear shocks, rear shock mounts, rear adjustment height links, and front coilovers, but no top mount for the front. You will need to use your existing oem ones. If your oem parts are old through either age or mileage, I would replace them. Much easier putting new parts in now than later. I'm a big fan of all new oem hardware as well during the install. Especially since some of them are technically one time use. It's cheap insurance to me. I'm weird like that. Plus if for some reason some oem fasteners or endlinks get destroyed during the removal process, you don't have a project stop situation.

This concludes the long winded response. Yes, it was some good coffee.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me in such a through way. Everything you said was very insightful and I will definitely being taking advantage of your advice for many of the different options you listed.

Do you know anyplace to find a complete list of OEM bolts and minor parts that could stand to be replaced when putting on the coilovers? KW website or something?

Thanks again for your help. I will try to get my thread up today so I can start sharing what I have going on over here.
      02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #625
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1807 View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me in such a through way. Everything you said was very insightful and I will definitely being taking advantage of your advice for many of the different options you listed.

Do you know anyplace to find a complete list of OEM bolts and minor parts that could stand to be replaced when putting on the coilovers? KW website or something?

Thanks again for your help. I will try to get my thread up today so I can start sharing what I have going on over here.
Here are two site that you should get familiar with throughout your bmw experience:

1. www.realoem.com

2. www.ecstuning.com

The first site will provide you with bmw dealer level official diagrams of all parts and part numbers for your vehicle. What you will want to do is check that site out, find the necessary diagram, and copy the part number for the part you want. Then just head over to ecs, enter it, and lighten the wallet. ECS has some of the most consistent fair pricing I have seen in quite some time. Plus they let you know if a part number has been replaced with a better designed part. Often with BMW they will continue to improve parts well past the production cycle of the vehicle.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. We are happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #626
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are two site that you should get familiar with throughout your bmw experience:

1. www.realoem.com

2. www.ecstuning.com

The first site will provide you with bmw dealer level official diagrams of all parts and part numbers for your vehicle. What you will want to do is check that site out, find the necessary diagram, and copy the part number for the part you want. Then just head over to ecs, enter it, and lighten the wallet. ECS has some of the most consistent fair pricing I have seen in quite some time. Plus they let you know if a part number has been replaced with a better designed part. Often with BMW they will continue to improve parts well past the production cycle of the vehicle.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. We are happy to help.
Awesome information! Thank you very much.
      03-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #627
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Hey Kimo... Do you have any sound clips of your new exhaust setup?

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #628
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
Hey Kimo... Do you have any sound clips of your new exhaust setup?
Not yet. I really need to figure it out one of these days. Hopefully soon...

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #629
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Now that it has been awhile time to put the pics from the shoot in my journal.

Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #630
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

nice pics. All your mods are perfect. Nothing else can be done to that vehicle to make it better
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #631
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
Speaking of preventative replacement, had a front suspension refresh done over the break. New lower control arms, tension arms, tie rods, and powerflex swaybar bushings front/rear with new endlinks. Next up is front wheel bearing replacement. Probably happening in a couple weeks, ordering the parts today.

New parts. Only thing missing from this photo is the rear powerflex swaybar bushings and oem endlinks. Also had my powerflex tension arm bushings swapped over to the new arms, which is not shown here.

Mess of parts:

Powerflex bushings in on the tension arms:

Shiny. Nothing like new oem suspension arms to refresh the driving experience:

This photo below is for the guys wondering about my catless downpipe cats in the midpipes setup. For reference here is my exhaust setup:

1. AR Design catless downpipes ceramic coated.
2. PTP S63 turbo blanket. Sits on top of the oem metal heatsheild.
3. Supersprint section 1 with 100 cell milspec cats welded in.
4. Supersprint section 2 xpipe.
5. Eisenmann sport black series muffler with 90mm rolled tips.

Here is the midpipe cat/xpipe setup:

I got this idea from the older euro M3's before emissions got too strict so it's not a foreign concept. My main goal was to remove heat from the engine bay and this setup accomplishes that perfectly. I still have a little smell since I went with 100 cell, but going 200 or 400 would definitely eliminate it. The sport valved muffler also controls cold start and refines my systems sound. Straight pipe systems sound unrefined to me so a brand like Eisenmann that focuses solely on sound improvement with valve control was just what I was looking for.
What's up buddy, can you provide a link to the section 2 x-pipe you have? I'm trying to create a quieter and less obnoxious exhaust sound I currently have now with the straight pipes, although I still want it to sound mean. I tried searching for just the x-pipe itself but all I keep finding is the central and mid pipe along with x-pipe combined...can you post a video of your setup, I'd like to hear how it sounds
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #632
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
nice pics. All your mods are perfect. Nothing else can be done to that vehicle to make it better
Thank you sir, that's quite the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
What's up buddy, can you provide a link to the section 2 x-pipe you have? I'm trying to create a quieter and less obnoxious exhaust sound I currently have now with the straight pipes, although I still want it to sound mean. I tried searching for just the x-pipe itself but all I keep finding is the central and mid pipe along with x-pipe combined...can you post a video of your setup, I'd like to hear how it sounds
Here is Supersprint's USA website. They are under Turnermotorsport now. Turner is the excluive distributor:

http://supersprint.us/

It's their regular sized section 2. Still haven't got a video yet. I apologize. To quiet your exhaust there is no way around it, you will need to add a muffler based system. Crazy man with the straight pipes lol!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #633
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's their regular sized section 2. Still haven't got a video yet. I apologize. To quiet your exhaust there is no way around it, you will need to add a muffler based system. Crazy man with the straight pipes lol!
Thanks for the link...I'm trying to put together a lightweight exhaust system with very little drone that will also eliminate black soot all over the back of the truck. The straight pipes sounded incredible before installing catless downpipes, now it's ridiculously loud and drawing too much attention(especially cold starts)

I plan on removing the straight pipes but keeping the Akrapovic tips... whatever exhaust I get will have an x-pipe and a suitcase this time since I'm losing lots of back pressure with the straight pipes. Crazy man wants to hear that setup lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #634
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Really bad video. Will work on getting better ones.

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #635
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really bad video. Will work on getting better ones.

Sounds great I want to have a similar sound decibel wise
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #636
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
Your build is so clean and epic. I'm definitely going to take some of these and apply where applicable to my wife's f25 x3. Look forward to more progress op.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #637
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Great looking X5M. Good job with it. I just picked mine up in the exact same colour the other day and plan to do some light mods. Already ordered the grille which looks just like yours and interested in carbon fibre parts. Where did you get your lip and diffuser from?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #638
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkawekrue View Post
Your build is so clean and epic. I'm definitely going to take some of these and apply where applicable to my wife's f25 x3. Look forward to more progress op.
Thank you sir! There is not that much one can do mod wise, but with tasteful selections I'm sure your wife's X3 can look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Great looking X5M. Good job with it. I just picked mine up in the exact same colour the other day and plan to do some light mods. Already ordered the grille which looks just like yours and interested in carbon fibre parts. Where did you get your lip and diffuser from?
Thanks, mcb is such a nice color. It's bold and classy, which is perfect on a beast like this. My front lip is oem Mperformance and I got it from my dealer. The rear diffuser is a Vorsteiner piece and I go that from Velos Designwerks.
Appreciate 0