XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Are X6 Brake Pads Ceramic Metallic?

I absolutely love the performance and minimum dusting I get from the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brand of brake pads. Many of the BMW's I see suffer from severe brake dusting.

If I have any issues with the stock brake pads, I will be looking for a replacement set that are Ceramic Metallic. I hope the factory has started to wise up about the use of this better formulation in brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
I absolutely love the performance and minimum dusting I get from the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brand of brake pads. Many of the BMW's I see suffer from severe brake dusting.

If I have any issues with the stock brake pads, I will be looking for a replacement set that are Ceramic Metallic. I hope the factory has started to wise up about the use of this better formulation in brake pads.
I agree there are better options that the OEM's could use for their brake pads.Brake dust is the NUMBER 1 complaint at most Service Dept's of the Luxury/Performance auto companies.The hard core enthusiast don't mind the brake dust (comes w/ the territory) as much as the lux drivers.Unfortunately......the German Auto Companies view the brake dust as a badge of honor!!!!!???? Thanks! PalBay
      08-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Brake dust is definitely a big problem. I have already washed my vehicle twice in less about a week and half because of the brake dust. My be a good option to look for some alternatives. I had the same problem with my Lexus IS350 and my service advisor changed them for ceramic pads and they would go about three times as long without having to be washed
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

There's a German brand called "Mintex" that makes dustless pads for German Cars (Porsche's, BMW's etc.). The stopping power is just as good as OEM, although if you track the car, it might be better to leave the stock ones on (or upgrade to better ones more suited for the track).

If you're just driving around town, the Mintex pads should be perfect.

Some people have reported some brake squeel with them, but if your shop knows how to fix that problem, you should be ok.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Ya I hate break dust too, I have one of those small red shammy duster that I use for my wheels (259). quick dust takes about 3 minutes to do.
Maybe BMW will offer it as an option sometime... not, these are folks that still have issues with cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Ya I hate break dust too, I have one of those small red shammy duster that I use for my wheels (259). quick dust takes about 3 minutes to do.
Maybe BMW will offer it as an option sometime... not, these are folks that still have issues with cup holders.
Hehe, you are soooo right.

The reason my wife didn't want the M5 is because of the darn cup holders. She likes the ones in the X6 or 750/760 but the 3 and 5 series cup holders are just a joke ...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
There's a German brand called "Mintex" that makes dustless pads for German Cars (Porsche's, BMW's etc.). The stopping power is just as good as OEM, although if you track the car, it might be better to leave the stock ones on (or upgrade to better ones more suited for the track).

If you're just driving around town, the Mintex pads should be perfect.

Some people have reported some brake squeel with them, but if your shop knows how to fix that problem, you should be ok.

- KJ
Mintex are made by Bendix, an Australian company. They also make Axxis and PBR, which is what Axxis are sold as outside the US. Axxis Deluxe Advanced are the recommended replacement for X5 pads; I have them on my X5 and they are completely dust-free -- not partially dust-free but completely dust-free. If they don't yet have sets for the X6, I imagine they will soon. A good place to find out is Zeckhausen Racing: http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/X5.htm Yes, they squeal slightly when wet, but the squeal has gone by the third brake application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
A 'small red shammy duster' may work in California, but it sure as heck doesn't in places where it gets muddy and snowy! I tried everything on my first few BMWs: wheel spray, wax, frequent washing, you name it. Nothing worked until I installed Axxis pads.

End of commercial...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i am using thing called IVASOL it is for cleaning dirts in railways...thing is great,alloys looks like new one..there is nothing like that..maybe you can find something on internet...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i use that every season when i change winter alloys 17 inch to summer 18..and there is on damage to tyres...great thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Mintex are made by Bendix, an Australian company. They also make Axxis and PBR, which is what Axxis are sold as outside the US. Axxis Deluxe Advanced are the recommended replacement for X5 pads; I have them on my X5 and they are completely dust-free -- not partially dust-free but completely dust-free. If they don't yet have sets for the X6, I imagine they will soon. A good place to find out is Zeckhausen Racing: http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/X5.htm Yes, they squeal slightly when wet, but the squeal has gone by the third brake application.

A 'small red shammy duster' may work in California, but it sure as heck doesn't in places where it gets muddy and snowy! I tried everything on my first few BMWs: wheel spray, wax, frequent washing, you name it. Nothing worked until I installed Axxis pads.

End of commercial...
Ya it's a tuff life here in California but somebody got to do it
Appreciate 0