XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I never thought about it until it came up here. I guess you can always carry a satellite phone but even that is no guarantee of success I've been mountain biking in the Santa Cruz mountains with a GPS and unable to "see" satellites due to terrain and tree cover. If you don't want to vanish without a trace, LoJack might be your best bet! It broadcasts a radio beacon. Just have your wife report your car stolen when you don't show up.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I never thought about it until it came up here. I guess you can always carry a satellite phone but even that is no guarantee of success I've been mountain biking in the Santa Cruz mountains with a GPS and unable to "see" satellites due to terrain and tree cover. If you don't want to vanish without a trace, LoJack might be your best bet! It broadcasts a radio beacon. Just have your wife report your car stolen when you don't show up.

Thanks, usually the wife is with me. I understand about line of site for satellites, just figured BMW would have something in this area for when you do have line of site.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Out of reach = SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I knew most of that but figured the emergency service part would be tied into the sat/gps somehow. Other wise I can call AAA or a couple of other services I get with insurance or something (have about three cards, never looked at them) with my cell phone. Not what I would call high tech emergency service.

Wait until my wife finds out she wanted us both to have this after watching the story of the couple that broke down in the Oregon mountains and the guy froze to death.
I guess if U travel often to remote areas, u should get a satellite telephone or cb radio.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #26
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
I guess if U travel often to remote areas, u should get a satellite telephone or cb radio.

I always have a scanner and CB in the car along with 3 day earth quake survival kit. So all this high tech and we are back "breaker breaker".
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #27
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
"The BMW assist function will only work in areas that have sufficient cell coverage."
So if I'm in the mountains with no cell coverage and break down I'm SOL ?
Yep, that's pretty much it. All of these emergency systems rely on the cell phone network.

Another thing to consider is that if your battery gets disconnected for whatever reason, your SOL as well!

I may be wrong on this, but I think if you flip your car and your antenna gets knocked of the roof and you end up upside down, I don't think this system works either!

There is only so much these systems can do...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #28
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
What if it IS the wife that 'made sure you WILL get lost in the mountains' ???

2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #29
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, usually the wife is with me. I understand about line of site for satellites, just figured BMW would have something in this area for when you do have line of site.
As you know, satellite phones are still a LOT more expensive than regular cell phones. So considering what the BMW assist will cost you on an annual basis after the initial service you get with the purchase of your car, just think of what a satellite based communication service would cost! I highly doubt that the majority of people that live and normally stay within cell coverage would go for the 'premium' service they would have to ask for!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #30
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I always have a scanner and CB in the car along with 3 day earth quake survival kit. So all this high tech and we are back "breaker breaker".
That's good thinking ... Over and out!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #31
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

I may be wrong on this, but I think if you flip your car and your antenna gets knocked of the roof and you end up upside down, I don't think this system works either!
yes I knew that and so do all the thieves , first thing they do is break off the shark fin. That's the reason I lojacked it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #32
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well Xdrive I can see your logic but you would think BMW would a least have a satellite link for an "emergency button" that would not provide any voice capabilities but would indicate that "I have serious trouble, send me help" kind of function. There are satellite communications available for PC internet available now, yes very slow but the technology does exist currently to implement something like this. Maybe even have a cb chip permanently set to channel 9 (emergency channel in USA monitored by police agencies,REACT, Forest Service,etc).

If BMW ever wants to get out of the "we're only trying to sell to the sophisticated I'm somebody older male or the 28 year old male with lots of testosterone but no brains or the older male who thinks he's 28" (guys don't even bother with the spears, it's us) they need to address these things.

To the female demographic these are big deals , we males well never admit we get lost (or ask for directions, reason we bought car with nav) or will ever need someone to save us.

Ok enough soap box, BMW doesn't ask it's customer what they want anyway
so I will be happy with my integrated ipod interface knowing my electronics are more sophisticated than lesser cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #33
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well Xdrive I can see your logic but you would think BMW would a least have a satellite link for an "emergency button" that would not provide any voice capabilities but would indicate that "I have serious trouble, send me help" kind of function. There are satellite communications available for PC internet available now, yes very slow but the technology does exist currently to implement something like this. Maybe even have a cb chip permanently set to channel 9 (emergency channel in USA monitored by police agencies,REACT, Forest Service,etc).

If BMW ever wants to get out of the "we're only trying to sell to the sophisticated I'm somebody older male or the 28 year old male with lots of testosterone but no brains or the older male who thinks he's 28" (guys don't even bother with the spears, it's us) they need to address these things.

To the female demographic these are big deals , we males well never admit we get lost (or ask for directions, reason we bought car with nav) or will ever need someone to save us.

Ok enough soap box, BMW doesn't ask it's customer what they want anyway
so I will be happy with my integrated ipod interface knowing my electronics are more sophisticated than lesser cars.
LOL... I totally agree with you.

In regards to CB, there is no guarantee that this system works either or that someone will be listening. The other issue too is that this again would be a country specific option as not all countries use the same frequency for emergencies not to mention that every country has different restrictions on transmit power.

There are satellite PC cards that can do two way communication, however I don't think there is a single one out there that doesn't require the antenna to be pointing direct at a particular satellite. Well maybe BMW could implement a little antenna that auto-tracks the satellite, like a Bond kinda gadget

But ultimately, I think it all just comes down to reliability and liability issues....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #34
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hey guys just wanted to chime in with some info. Over here in France the system works fine. I have travelled to the UK and Italy with my X6 and I didn't have any problems using the system.

My guess is BMW has a contract with T-Mobile as someone mentioned and they have a roaming agreement for some European countries but not all. One thng I do remember is I signed a contract when I bought my X6 but that was to activate the Telematics.

In order to activate the BMW Connected Drive, I had to go to BMW's Connected Drive website and register. It asks you for your chasis number and all your personal info. After about 48hrs I received a message saying my account had been activated and all the systems on the car started working. Before that I kept on getting a message on the iDrive saying it was unable to activate the services.

I highly doubt you can put in your own sim even if you know where it goes. Best bet might be to contact BMW in Germany and see when they plan to roll out the service in your particular country.

D
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

there's a sim in my X6 ? I thought you had to have a phone linked to the car for all these features to work.
Appreciate 0