XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
E70x5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 x5 3.0

Alignment & tire wear ?

Just upgraded to the 20" 214's on a non sport 3.0 '09. I can't seem to get anyone to do the alignment other than the dealer. I went to a couple speed shops and they couldnt get the specs for the vehicle. Can anyone post the specs for an alignment and also whats the best recommended specs to be within for maximium tire wear, i know the rears eat up the insides and that is the nature of the beast, but i wanted to try and get even tire wear across the width of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Lt. General
Rep
Drives: X5 5.0, 540i, 1965 C2

Align it to only BMW SPECS Period! If nobody in your area is familiar with the BMW alignment process, pony up the money and let the dealer do it.

I'm gonna try and put this as lightly as I can....If ya want even tire wear buy a honda or a lexus. What you own, is the ultmiate driving machine... & it aint cheap.

Sorry...

I know for a fact from a few num-nuts that have done it....If you zero out the car, it will drive like shit... borderline dangerous! And if you trust the "A-Z auto alignment boys to understand the BMW ways... ya better think again!

Just trying ta help ya bruther!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
E70x5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 263464757 View Post
Align it to only BMW SPECS Period! If nobody in your area is familiar with the BMW alignment process, pony up the money and let the dealer do it.

I'm gonna try and put this as lightly as I can....If ya want even tire wear buy a honda or a lexus. What you own, is the ultmiatQe driving machine... & it aint cheap.

Sorry...

I know for a fact from a few num-nuts that have done it....If you zero out the car, it will drive like shit... borderline dangerous! And if you trust the "A-Z auto alignment boys to understand the BMW ways... ya better think again!

Just trying ta help ya bruther!
It's not a monetary issue, I understand the whole "BMW specs" thing, but if u think the dealer is the best place to go, ur sadly mistaken. I would rather over pay at a reputable wheel/tire shop then at the dealer. Many of the techs are misinformed and are not that knowledgeable. I don't know if it's due to the many models that they work on. In my opinion, the only thing the dealer is good for is warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Lt. General
Rep
Drives: X5 5.0, 540i, 1965 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E70x5 View Post
It's not a monetary issue, I understand the whole "BMW specs" thing, but if u think the dealer is the best place to go, ur sadly mistaken. I would rather over pay at a reputable wheel/tire shop then at the dealer. Many of the techs are misinformed and are not that knowledgeable. I don't know if it's due to the many models that they work on. In my opinion, the only thing the dealer is good for is warranty work.
I understand what your saying, and I may have read a bit into the cheap idea...

I myself use an alignment shop, but the alignment shop that I use is a rarity. They only do performance type cars, mostly European, and they tailor the alignment to me. For example, 99% of the time, its just me in the car, and I most often drive with less than half a tank of gas, so we do it with half fuel, 180lbs in the driver seat, and tweak it for my driving style. If you know of a shop like that great. but if....

1). your alignment shop doesn't have or cannot get the specs...I'd shop somewhere else.

2). you want even tread wear across the width, hell we all want that. What I really want is a 700 hp X5 that gets great gas mileage and an engine life of 150,000. You own a vehicle for all practical purposes, designed to out handle all others in it's class...and even tread wear is an oxymoron.

The four or five speed shops I've used in three states are generally familiar with two things....How to go real fast real quick in a straight line and how to go fairly fast for about 20 minutes in a circle.

With all sincerity, good luck, I hope ya find what ya need.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
E70x5
Private
Rep

That's exactly what I'm looking for, most shops around here know nothing about someone in the drivers seat and the difference in load weight. It's hard to find shops that pay attention to details. The only one I know of is camber and toe in northern jersey, unfortunately it's an hour and half away. ( I'm in Philly) Thanks for the replies . . .
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yeah, most alignment shops deal with Toyota's and minivans of all shapes.... they are in the business of getting them in and out. Unless you're lucky enough to find a custom shop like mentioned above, you really are best off at the BMW dealer. If they don't do a good job, you have BMW to complain to.... who would you complain to if the local or box-brand shop doesn't do it right?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0