XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

Closed Thread

11-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Ahh, so the retrofitters are battling it out. Patrys + Men (really dislike that guy) VS Vinzer and the bmw retrofit crew.

Either way, I'm not spending 4 grand just for a new look. I'd rather trade in my car and get something newer for not a lot more. ('11 model with the com box maybe)?
No offense, no battle... just wanted to clarify something...
I could even work with vinzer if he needs my support

Coming back to the subject, it's not always about the price of the new model and the cost of the retrofit. A lot of people have invested a lot of money in their cars and they do not want to sell it and buy the new model just for the CIC. This is just an example, but I agree this mod is definitely not a cheap one
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #24
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Ahh, so the retrofitters are battling it out. Patrys + Men (really dislike that guy) VS Vinzer and the bmw retrofit crew.

Either way, I'm not spending 4 grand just for a new look. I'd rather trade in my car and get something newer for not a lot more. ('11 model with the com box maybe)?
Yea. It's a tough call. I think if the price could come down some then I would go for it.

I also would like to see things like the backup camera working with the new CIC. Right now I think it's technically possible but I'm not sure if anyone has gone through the steps.

A few things are good news though. It sounds like you can use your existing satelllite receiver located in the trunk with the new CIC. This is good because it saves you having to get new fsc codes for satellite ... To enable the satellite receiver inside the CIC (if you managed to even get a hold of a north American CIC !)

The funny thing about all this is ... In a short time the new CIC idrive will be yesterday's news as the next generation (whatever that is) will come along and we will all be saying the current CIC is old "skool"

It sounds like BMWs and other car manufactures have finally realized that they need to provide easier ways of enabling new capabilities and features with existing systems and hardware. Even allowing customers to do the upgrades or push upgrades to the car via mobile communications.

I'm sure it won't be long before you step into your car and you get a message to say it requires a firmware update :-)

Last edited by apw2607; 11-13-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #25
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Patrys,

For the e9x and e6x you indicate that

- if your car was produced before September 2008 and you would like to have the car software updated by your dealership you will have to put your old CCC or Radio back in the car (it takes around 20 minutes to do the swap). According to BMW cars produced before the CIC was introduced could not have the CIC installed.

Does that apply to the x5 do you think or is it Sep 2009, which is when the CIC was introduced in the x5 anyway ?

As a initial baby step, is it possible to put the new controller in and have that work with the older CCC? Would that need removing if you needed to update the cars software ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
No offense, no battle... just wanted to clarify something...
I could even work with vinzer if he needs my support
Patrys, I still did not get your point. Yes I am one of the BMW retrofit team, but I am not specialized in coding. My specialization is vehicle electronics and electronics in general. Can filtering for example, if we speak about particular bmw projects. Yes I do know some stuff about the coding, but for sure not as much as you know about it.

I am sure we may exchange some good knowelege in coding and electronic fields
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #27
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
no way no battling, just talking

Patrys, do you know MEN (guy from Russian forums ) ? or this is someone else
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #28
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzer View Post
no way no battling, just talking

Patrys, do you know MEN (guy from Russian forums ) ? or this is someone else
sure I know
I hope your Sirius is working now
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #29
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Patrys,

For the e9x and e6x you indicate that

- if your car was produced before September 2008 and you would like to have the car software updated by your dealership you will have to put your old CCC or Radio back in the car (it takes around 20 minutes to do the swap). According to BMW cars produced before the CIC was introduced could not have the CIC installed.

Does that apply to the x5 do you think or is it Sep 2009, which is when the CIC was introduced in the x5 anyway ?

As a initial baby step, is it possible to put the new controller in and have that work with the older CCC? Would that need removing if you needed to update the cars software ?
You should read this one:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453732

Unfortunately every single module including the controller that is installed in your car will be detected by your dealership software.
It means that even if you change your controller to the LCI version their software will complain about it. Sometimes you can try to trick their software by doing some changes in the module ID information, but then if they are programming the module their software takes this ID info to determine which coding/programming should be done. This can result in a broken module after the programming.
To sum up, it's always better to keep your car stock when taking it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #30
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Patrys, I still did not get your point. Yes I am one of the BMW retrofit team, but I am not specialized in coding. My specialization is vehicle electronics and electronics in general. Can filtering for example, if we speak about particular bmw projects. Yes I do know some stuff about the coding, but for sure not as much as you know about it.

I am sure we may exchange some good knowelege in coding and electronic fields
My point was obvious. I wanted to prove you stay behind this and not only guys from bmwretrofit.
By reading your posts one could get a feeling you are just a forum member who went to these guys from bmwretrofit and had this CIC retrofit done (partially) and now is writing an unbiased review of their work.
This is not true. You are one of those guys advertising your company in this thread. That's it. I don't want to discuss this further.
But I am glad we got to the point and now we can focus on the CIC

You know my Skype, so feel free to contact me if you need
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #31
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
sure I know
I hope your Sirius is working now
it does, however external one, not built in the CIC one. I hope one day it will be possible to have the one inside the CIC to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #32
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
it does, however external one, not built in the CIC one. I hope one day it will be possible to have the one inside the CIC to work.
FSC+coding+new wiring
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #33
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
But I am glad we got to the point and now we can focus on the CIC
Yeah !
The vehicle which was brought by one guy last week (E70) for CIC retrofit has rear camera, PDC and I think (not sure) DVD changer. This week I will know if it is possible to get rear view camera to work or not. And of course I will share with you guys about that
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #34
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Yeah !
The vehicle which was brought by one guy last week (E70) for CIC retrofit has rear camera, PDC and I think (not sure) DVD changer. This week I will know if it is possible to get rear view camera to work or not. And of course I will share with you guys about that
I can tell you the camera will work if you change a few parts in the car
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #35
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
FSC+coding+new wiring
the only word I do not care and can do my self is the last one (new wiring). FSC - this means money again ....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #36
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I can tell you the camera will work if you change a few parts in the car
I know that last week they've ordered new junction ecu, but not sure about any other parts. I was checking WDS and found something interesting in wiring...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #37
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
the only word I do not care and can do my self is the last one (new wiring). FSC - this means money again ....
BMW knows how to make money. All those new features coming locked from the factory and requiring the activation codes are PITA
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #38
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
BMW knows how to make money. All those new features coming locked from the factory and requiring the activation codes are PITA
Yeahh
One of the guys from retrofit team, old guy, he is from Poland too by the way he was working for the BMW dealer locally for many years. He says that at BMW you always pay for the name atleast 25% extra. No matter what you buy - oil or simple plastic part - it is always 25% extra already in price

Last edited by vinzer; 11-14-2010 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #39
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You should read this one:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453732

Unfortunately every single module including the controller that is installed in your car will be detected by your dealership software.
It means that even if you change your controller to the LCI version their software will complain about it. Sometimes you can try to trick their software by doing some changes in the module ID information, but then if they are programming the module their software takes this ID info to determine which coding/programming should be done. This can result in a broken module after the programming.
To sum up, it's always better to keep your car stock when taking it in.
Thanks. That's nice and clear.

On the non north American CIC units, the FM radio works fine in the USA, and jumps up / down in the correct increments .. Right ? If I recall european radio at least in the uk jumps up in even increments. USA uses odd.

Also, is the non north American CIC capable of receiving the USA clear channel RTTI signal ok ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #40
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Thanks. That's nice and clear.

On the non north American CIC units, the FM radio works fine in the USA, and jumps up / down in the correct increments .. Right ? If I recall european radio at least in the uk jumps up in even increments. USA uses odd.

Also, is the non north American CIC capable of receiving the USA clear channel RTTI signal ok ?

Thanks.
The Euro CIC can be coded to the US spec so the FM radio will work exactly the same as in the US spec unit.
Also the RTTI works fine (tested with the E60 and E90 Euro spec CIC, but should be the same all CIC).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #41
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

In order to install USB connector on E70 for the CIC you will be required to order new part - internal glove box compartment. It is not super expensive but still cost money.
Wjile my retrofit has been done I was warned by the installers that I will need that part too. I went a bit different rount and installed the USB connector in the original non-cic glove box compartment.
The way it is done is on my pics below. No this is patented installation way I want to share with anyone who may need it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #42
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

In my car that's where the DVD changer is located so that wouldnt work.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread