XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
BuffaloSoldierNY
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 X5

2002 X5 telescopic wheel problem

I recently bought a 2002 X5 for my wife and we absolutely love it! The only problem thus far is that I noticed the telescopic wheel feature does not work at all. It is stuck in the highest position and cannot move in or out. The vehicle is certainly drivable, but just an inconvenient position. I have read that this is a known problem with the motors going bad, but I have to question that because the memory features on the side of the drivers seat are not working either. It is my understanding that when operational, these buttons would control the associated seat position and wheel position of the selected memory button (at least that is my assumption). The program button lights up and following the memory setting process, it seems to complete properly (red button turns off) but the seat nor the wheel move.

The power seat does work properly by itself. Before I hand out $400'ish per motor and dissect the column, I am wondering if the community can possibly shed some light - maybe a bad circuit board somewhere? Perhaps just a loose connection (wishful thinking).

I have searched quite a bit online and in this forum but haven't identified anything that really helps me so I apologize in advance if my search skills are not what they should be and I offend anyone.
Appreciate 0