XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Cyphon
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i

F16 parts fit E71?

I want to fit the F16 M Sport steering wheel into a 2011 E71. Has anyone done this before and will it fit?

Also I want to swap out the shifter to the SAT shifter from the newer BMW models. Anyone know if these are just plug and play?

Definitely would like to give me E71 new set of wheels as well and I really like the 437M wheels from the M3/M4, anyone know how well or if it's even possible to fit that on a E71?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I want to fit the F16 M Sport steering wheel into a 2011 E71. Has anyone done this before and will it fit?

Also I want to swap out the shifter to the SAT shifter from the newer BMW models. Anyone know if these are just plug and play?

Definitely would like to give me E71 new set of wheels as well and I really like the 437M wheels from the M3/M4, anyone know how well or if it's even possible to fit that on a E71?

Thanks
F16 steering wheel won't fit but F10 will (there are some recent threads about this swap, just look)

I don't believe shifter and M3/M4 wheels will fit either

good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea it's possible,

You need to get an F10 M5 wheel as the splines and shaft are the same between models.

It's also got the least amount of modification needed to get working.

Contact car systems for more info. They sell the module you will need to get the cruise working and stereo controls to operate correctly on the steering wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      08-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Cyphon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
F16 steering wheel won't fit but F10 will (there are some recent threads about this swap, just look)

Yeah I figured the wheels wouldn't fit heh, but I believe I've seen people swap out the shifter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea it's possible,

You need to get an F10 M5 wheel as the splines and shaft are the same between models.

Contact car systems for more info. They sell the module you will need to get the cruise working and stereo controls to operate correctly on the steering wheel.
Definitely nice to know it's possible, I don't want to attempt this myself due to the airbag. I've called up a few places around me that works on BMW but most of them say they don't know if it can or will.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

Yeah I figured the wheels wouldn't fit heh, but I believe I've seen people swap out the shifter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea it's possible,

Definitely nice to know it's possible, I don't want to attempt this myself due to the airbag. I've called up a few places around me that works on BMW but most of them say they don't know if it can or will.
The design of the f16 and f10 wheels are the same, it depends on which design you want to go with as their are a few, the diameter of the stock e70 e71 wheel is the same as the F16 F10 wheel so theirs no reason to use the F16 wheel as the design of the F10 is the same. The shifter is also the same so why change it?

Now you can change the shifter to a G11 or G12 style shifter which I'm working on now but that is much more intensive and no plug and play.

The airbag is just plug and play. The wires didn't change. The only thing you would do is swap terminal wires into your stock terminal connector. It's actually pretty easy!

The only hard part is cutting and splicing the steering wheel wire loom.

All in all it's an hour or two job.

You have to get a North American dual stage air bag however so you don't need to code the car to single stage like in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Cyphon
Rep

Yeah the style for the steering wheel are the same, I just can't seem to find the all leather ones, only seeing the alcantara ones. I want to have the newer paddle shfiters as well as keep my heated steering wheel function.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=sat+retrofit

I want to swap the shifter mainly for cosmetic purposes and feel. I wanted to see if the E71 can do something like the guy did in that post.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the style for the steering wheel are the same, I just can't seem to find the all leather ones, only seeing the alcantara ones. I want to have the newer paddle shfiters as well as keep my heated steering wheel function.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=sat+retrofit

I want to swap the shifter mainly for cosmetic purposes and feel. I wanted to see if the E71 can do something like the guy did in that post.
Most anything is possible if you can devote the time and money, also got to have some tinker abilities lol.

I'm currently getting the paddles to work on my e70 that never had paddles. Many thought it not possible but with the right knowledge it's finally happening.
Appreciate 0