XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
DblOX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW 3.0 X5

My 2005 BMW X5 Radio will not turn on. Help!

Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 (3.0) BMW X5 and the radio all of a sudden does not work. I tried to power on the radio as usual and it will not turn on anymore. I checked all the fuses in the glove box/trunk etc. and they are all fine too.

Also, please note that my navigation works fine. The screen works, but I do not hear any turn-by-turn directions.

What should I do? What is wrong with it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
echow
Rep
Drives: x5m

maybe the amp blew
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
d6moff
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Hey got the same problem mate......Have you sorted yours?

I have checked the 1 fuse in the glove box and the 2 in the boot...there fine, are there anymore???
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

The radio system is the first one to go when the electrical system/battery is starting to malfunction. The idea is to cut as much unnecessary electrical units to make sure that the engine still runs. Have your battery system checked. If you have not replaced your battery yet (it would be over 6 years old by now) then it may just need a new battery.

Good luck.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
ptr_bkr
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2005 X5 4.8is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblOX5 View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 (3.0) BMW X5 and the radio all of a sudden does not work. I tried to power on the radio as usual and it will not turn on anymore. I checked all the fuses in the glove box/trunk etc. and they are all fine too.

Also, please note that my navigation works fine. The screen works, but I do not hear any turn-by-turn directions.

What should I do? What is wrong with it?

Thanks!
Hi DbloX5,
I had the same issue including SatNav working but no sound, took X5 to my BMW mech. He turned the ignition off, removed and reinstalled the #7 fuse in glovebox, checked radio. Still didn't work, so then he turned ignition off again and opened up fuse box in cargo bay and removed and reinstalled the #72 & #73 fuses and turned radio on and it worked. No probs, he told me that when the battery gets low then it starts sending items into sleep mode to protect major components as noted earlier by pmelche. He also said another problem is if water gets into the radio control module, it wil blow and then needs to be replaced. The radio control module is near the battery under the spare wheel.
Hope this helps.
ptr_bkr.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Luna2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 4.4 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr_bkr View Post
Hi DbloX5,
I had the same issue including SatNav working but no sound, took X5 to my BMW mech. He turned the ignition off, removed and reinstalled the #7 fuse in glovebox, checked radio. Still didn't work, so then he turned ignition off again and opened up fuse box in cargo bay and removed and reinstalled the #72 & #73 fuses and turned radio on and it worked. No probs, he told me that when the battery gets low then it starts sending items into sleep mode to protect major components as noted earlier by pmelche. He also said another problem is if water gets into the radio control module, it wil blow and then needs to be replaced. The radio control module is near the battery under the spare wheel.
Hope this helps.
ptr_bkr.

yep my radio in my 2001 X5 died also. I didnt know all this stuff so I had it all ripped out, then had a new pioneer head unit and 4 new door speakers installed.

I have the factory 6 disk changer in the back, it is still hooked up, and I want my old cd's out so I can play them on my new deck. I press the blue eject button...and nothing. The nav system (just above the changer in the rear rack) is on and illuminated, so i took the screws out that hold the rack. I see tons of wires back there, and the sat nav thing is plugged in, but there are no open holes on the cd changer that should have wires in them....how do I get power to the changer so I can eject the old cd's?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
4sure
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport Package

Hi, my friend has almost same problem but her radio works, but the cd changer does not play, it won't even eject the discs???? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Dezy152
Rep
Drives: black BMW

I had the same problem, I'm looking for good advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I had the same issue twice. Replaced amp both times and issues was addressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Just a data point - our radio was bad on our 2008 328 when new. It would sometimes not come on at all, or cut out and stay off for a day or more.
Dealer did something on first try that didn't fix it (not sure, maybe re-programmed it)
but when I brought it back they swapped the head unit and it was fixed. Under warranty though.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0