XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
SteveX5
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive30d SE

BMW Business Loudspeaker system

I've just taken delivery of a brand new X5 xDrive 30d. I ordered the BMW Business Loudspeaker system (a £395 option), but (and this may sound stupid!), I don't know whether it has actually been fitted or not!

According to the X5 brochure, I should have 12 loudspeakers and a 205 watt digital amplifier. However, despite a thorough search, all I can find are: 2 small speakers (mid-range?) in the front doors, 2 tweeters near the exterior mirrors and 2 small speakers and 2 tweeters in the rear doors. Underneath the front seats are what look like speaker grills, but I can't hear any sound coming from them, even with the volume turned up quite high. If they are supposed to be woofers or sub-woofers of some kind then I am not aware of any bass coming from them. Even if there are speakers fitted under the seats, that still only adds up to 10 - so where are the other 2?

Far more importantly than the number of speakers fitted, is the fact that it just sounds so bad. There is no bass to speak of and it sounds weak - regardless of whether it's a CD, DAB radio, FM or my ipod that I listen to. It's certainly nothing even close to being "hi-fi". In my view it is no better than the standard "hi-fi" I had fitted in my previous 5-series Touring, so I'm wondering why I bothered paying out an additional £400 for this.

Does anyone else have experience of the Business Loudspeaker System? Is it possible they just haven't fitted it to my car (particularly given I can't find 12 speakers)? Or is it just that bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

We in the States don't have that option.

Your 12 speakers would be:

mid and tweeter in a plate under the center console grille (2):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...41&hg=65&fg=20

underseat woofers (2)

door mids (4)

rear pillar effects mids and tweeters (2+2)

So that's 12.

You have underseat woofers even with the base audio system with no amp.
As far as if it's fitted or not, check behind the left rear storage door and see if a module is bolted to the underside of the back metal shelf.
________
250 gt drogo

Last edited by VP Electricity; 04-22-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
SteveX5
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive30d SE

Many thanks VP Electricity. On closer inspection of the car, there are indeed 12 speakers, in exactly the locations you suggested. And also, just as you suggested, taking off a panel in the side wall at the back of the car, reveals what appears to be an amp. So it looks like I got everything I paid for

Interestingly, having had the car now for a few weeks, the sound seems to have improved quite a bit from how it was in the first day or two. I know qualify hi-fi you can buy for your home often takes time to "run-in" and reach its best, so perhaps the same applies with the kit BMW have fitted? I still wouldn't say the BMW Business Loudspeaker audio system is anywhere close to being true hi-fi, but it does seem to have improved with use.

So I guess I'd have to conclude that whilst the Business Loudspeaker system is still a bit disappointing, it's probably still worth the extra £400 ($630).
Appreciate 0