XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Should I own a X-5

Swinging in from the 3series forums to get some input from X-5 owners perspective as I'm in my preliminary research phase of possibly getting an x-5.
I know very little of this platform and so far what I do know is that the older generations were money pits and plagued with problems,is this just bad advice/opinions I've received or can this be corroborated here?
Who likes what motor....why?
Gripes,or what don't you like about your model options or just the car in general?
So far have you enjoyed your vehicle and what tips or advice would you give someone new into this model?
Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions!
All the best!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Whatever you do or whichever you get ... don't own it without a warranty ... unless you are a serious DIY'er.

You'll have the most fun in deciding which X5 (30i, 48i, 35i, 35d, 50i or M) to get.
      01-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Swinging in from the 3series forums to get some input from X-5 owners perspective as I'm in my preliminary research phase of possibly getting an x-5.
I know very little of this platform and so far what I do know is that the older generations were money pits and plagued with problems,is this just bad advice/opinions I've received or can this be corroborated here?
Gripes,or what don't you like about your model options or just the car in general?
So far have you enjoyed your vehicle and what tips or advice would you give someone new into this model?
All the best!
I picked up a '13 35i last April from a private seller, took it to BMW to check, perfect condition, he also bought extra warranty which was nice, also has N55 engine. The car sounds pretty good for a truck and drives alot better than my buddys 08 3.0si. If you're to pickup a E70, get a LCI model (2011+), some of the '12 or '13 might still have warranty unless there's extended warranty. As for power, I thought I could get alot more out of the engine, not done yet but looking to get the engine remapped.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Whatever you do or whichever you get ... don't own it without a warranty ... unless you are a serious DIY'er.

You'll have the most fun in deciding which X5 (30i, 48i, 35i, 35d, 50i or M) to get.
Yup....warranty will be on my list!
So many motors for this truck:......I think I need to expand/research more on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees
Quote:
All the best!
I picked up a '13 35i last April from a private seller, took it to BMW to check, perfect condition, he also bought extra warranty which was nice, also has N55 engine. The car sounds pretty good for a truck and drives alot better than my buddys 08 3.0si. If you're to pickup a E70, get a LCI model (2011+), some of the '12 or '13 might still have warranty unless there's extended warranty. As for power, I thought I could get alot more out of the engine, not done yet but looking to get the engine remapped.
So would you say your satisfied with your ownership thus far?
Are you disappointed with the 35i's power?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So would you say your satisfied with your ownership thus far?
Are you disappointed with the 35i's power?
Very satisfied with ownership but the packages do affect your experience but so far no problems, as for the power I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, I'd say that from factory it should peak a bit more around 350. I guess it sits at 300 due to fuel efficiency. It does handle quite well. I was really looking forward to getting a 50i but gas was my concern as I got it for a daily driver. If fuel isn't a issue, the 50i is very worth considering as there's virtually no difference (except rims/engine/arch ext/exhaust). I'm looking to kick it up to 370-380 but that's depending.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

It's all about packaging and options IMO. Buy a stripper and you might be disappointed. Do your research and decide what options you want, and base your search off that. These vehicles came optioned a million different ways, so finding the right one could take some time.

The biggest decision is the motor. Drive several and make your own personal decision. We went w/ the V8 and no regrets, but the 6 cylinders will likely give you less trouble over the long haul….though not as much enjoyment
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
'11 3.5i here. Extended warranties are ripoffs, unless you get a V8. Find a good independent mechanic and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz
It's all about packaging and options IMO. Buy a stripper and you might be disappointed. Do your research and decide what options you want, and base your search off that. These vehicles came optioned a million different ways, so finding the right one could take some time.

The biggest decision is the motor. Drive several and make your own personal decision. We went w/ the V8 and no regrets, but the 6 cylinders will likely give you less trouble over the long haul….though not as much enjoyment
I will definitely try the different motors....that v-8 sounds tempting...even though my practical side is saying to get the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #10
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
'11 3.5i here. Extended warranties are ripoffs, unless you get a V8. Find a good independent mechanic and you're good to go.
Previous owner bought it + threw an extra set Bridgestone Potenza RFTs Brand new. $55k cad (38k usd) for '13 with 28250km (175xx mi) on the clock. Local. Seemed like a pretty good deal?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy
I agree with this post!

I have 2011 LCI purchased with 46k and with no warranty. So far I have done the following on my own: DIY

O2 sensor pre cat
Starter (one hell of a job)
Water pump and thermostat
Front and rear brakes (rotor, pad, sensors)
Rear air suspension bags (easy job)
Usual oil change (all cars need)

I have buddy of mine that is a BMW tech and one thing he told me to stay away from v8 unless you have a warranty. Heard a lot more serious problems.

Currently has 61k and with all that has been done i can't foresee anything else happening. Just the regular maintenance stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

I also had a 330i e90 and i purchased a 11 35i premium with 32k last Jan. Been in service 5-6 times. Oil leak, tensioneer, blower motor, etc. Small things. I purchased rt66 warranty.

Power is pretty good. I'm gonna jb stage 1 it soon.

SUV wise, I couldn't find a better SUV.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
Previous owner bought it + threw an extra set Bridgestone Potenza RFTs Brand new. $55k cad (38k usd) for '13 with 28250km (175xx mi) on the clock. Local. Seemed like a pretty good deal?
If there are a decent amount of options, I would say "yes". It's nice to get one with at least a little bit of factory warranty remaining. That way, you can spend some time and put some good miles on it, bringing it in as often as you want for all sorts of nit picky items before it expires. That should send you into non-warranty coverage very confident. I have a great Indy to handle routine maintenance using all OEM parts/fluids for half of dealer costs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #14
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I'll share some of my experiences and thoughts around how I made my decision when I was in your shoes about a year ago. Keep in mind I'm a DIYer and always proactive in preventative maintenance.

To start, I had just sold my E60 M5. The most amazing car I've owned to date and it was stupid clean. Eventually I decided my wife and I needed something that was comfortable, good on gas and had a good amount of room for our hiking and camping equipment. Given that I was nearing 100k on the M5, facing some expensive maintenance, depreciation and the fact that we started talking about getting a car we could travel with, it was time to let the M5 go.

Originally I set my budget to be around the low to mid 20s and started looking at the pre-LCI 48i. Loved the power and growl of the v8 but after doing countless hours of researching I found myself suddenly concerned about the reliability and long term maintenance costs. Things like oil leaks and the infamous premature valve seal failures are a very common problem, and not cheap might I add. At that point I was somewhat disappointed as there was no way I was going to consider the 3.0 because of the lack of power. Back to the drawing board and the next thing I found myself researching was the 50i. Loved the power and the torque but found myself having to increase the budget. At this point I realized for the increase in budget I was getting a lot more car and was able to start looking at LCI models with the nice upgrades from the factory. After mulling it over I finally convinced myself the increased budget for an LCI was worth it and so I adjusted my search once again. At this point I was looking at heavily loaded 50i models but at the same time as I was searching, I started reading more and more people experiencing issues with that engine as well. Oil pumps, injectors, excessive oil consumption.....and the list went on. This was like putting a dagger through my heart. I was completely in love with the 50i but now my logic was starting to win the chess match. Around that same time I had gone to my local dealer and test drove the 35i, 35d and lastly the 50i to open my mind and see what the 6 cylinders felt like since my hopes of being in a v8 where dwindling. This was by far the turning point in my, what seemed to be, endless search for an X5.

After hoping in the 35i and 35d I was actually pleasantly surprised. Both had decent power and in fact I found out that the 35i is very comparable to the 48i in terms of performance yet better in gas mileage, go figure. However, what really caught my sense of excitement was the 35d. Although clearly a step down in performance when compared to the 50i the torque was awesome and frankly it had plenty of power for what I would be using it for. Sure I wanted the sense of having the power like I did with my previous M5 but let's face it, I was looking at a more practical application and I couldn't lose sight I was also looking at heavy SAVs.

After debating and researching for countless hours, everything in my checklist pointed to the diesel, an unfamiliar territory to me at the time. Edited my search for what seemed like the millionth time and I was now on my way toward finding a heavily loaded 2011+ 35d. What I quickly realized is that I was looking for s needle in a hay stack. Sport Package alone on the 35d is rare but add comfort seats, HUD, ventilated Seats and a list of other options really narrowed my search results. Eventually I found myself looking nationwide for about 6 solid months before running into a craigslist ad in Houston TX. I had found it! Platinum Gray Metallic heavily loaded and to top things off extend warranty and remaining service contract. A unicorn of s find if you will and those who have or know about the 35d know what I'm talking about.

Fast forward to today and I'm the proud owner of a 2011 35d and haven't looked back since. Not one shred of buyers remorse and I'm finding myself loving the diesel. Already we've done countless trips up the local mountains, went to visit some friends in Sonora and had a great time in Yosemite. The 35d has just been solid for us. The thing to know is that the 35d does have its issues though. Emission systems will be the weakest point but there is a lot of development on this side from tuners that can eliminate the need for those components completely. When compared to the other models the 35d in my eyes is still the most reliable and best platform.

All this being said my recommendation is drive numerous cars and really map out the costs and wants you are looking for. I went into it thinking I was getting a 48i and ended up with a 35d. Who knew?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #15
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Great story. Admirable persistence!

Like I said, "OP will have the most fun in deciding which X5 (30i, 48i, 35i, 35d, 50i or M) to get".
      01-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #16
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39
I'll share some of my experiences and thoughts around how I made my decision when I was in your shoes about a year ago. Keep in mind I'm a DIYer and always proactive in preventative maintenance.

To start, I had just sold my E60 M5. The most amazing car I've owned to date and it was stupid clean. Eventually I decided my wife and I needed something that was comfortable, good on gas and had a good amount of room for our hiking and camping equipment. Given that I was nearing 100k on the M5, facing some expensive maintenance, depreciation and the fact that we started talking about getting a car we could travel with, it was time to let the M5 go.

Originally I set my budget to be around the low to mid 20s and started looking at the pre-LCI 48i. Loved the power and growl of the v8 but after doing countless hours of researching I found myself suddenly concerned about the reliability and long term maintenance costs. Things like oil leaks and the infamous premature valve seal failures are a very common problem, and not cheap might I add. At that point I was somewhat disappointed as there was no way I was going to consider the 3.0 because of the lack of power. Back to the drawing board and the next thing I found myself researching was the 50i. Loved the power and the torque but found myself having to increase the budget. At this point I realized for the increase in budget I was getting a lot more car and was able to start looking at LCI models with the nice upgrades from the factory. After mulling it over I finally convinced myself the increased budget for an LCI was worth it and so I adjusted my search once again. At this point I was looking at heavily loaded 50i models but at the same time as I was searching, I started reading more and more people experiencing issues with that engine as well. Oil pumps, injectors, excessive oil consumption.....and the list went on. This was like putting a dagger through my heart. I was completely in love with the 50i but now my logic was starting to win the chess match. Around that same time I had gone to my local dealer and test drove the 35i, 35d and lastly the 50i to open my mind and see what the 6 cylinders felt like since my hopes of being in a v8 where dwindling. This was by far the turning point in my, what seemed to be, endless search for an X5.

After hoping in the 35i and 35d I was actually pleasantly surprised. Both had decent power and in fact I found out that the 35i is very comparable to the 48i in terms of performance yet better in gas mileage, go figure. However, what really caught my sense of excitement was the 35d. Although clearly a step down in performance when compared to the 50i the torque was awesome and frankly it had plenty of power for what I would be using it for. Sure I wanted the sense of having the power like I did with my previous M5 but let's face it, I was looking at a more practical application and I couldn't lose sight I was also looking at heavy SAVs.

After debating and researching for countless hours, everything in my checklist pointed to the diesel, an unfamiliar territory to me at the time. Edited my search for what seemed like the millionth time and I was now on my way toward finding a heavily loaded 2011+ 35d. What I quickly realized is that I was looking for s needle in a hay stack. Sport Package alone on the 35d is rare but add comfort seats, HUD, ventilated Seats and a list of other options really narrowed my search results. Eventually I found myself looking nationwide for about 6 solid months before running into a craigslist ad in Houston TX. I had found it! Platinum Gray Metallic heavily loaded and to top things off extend warranty and remaining service contract. A unicorn of s find if you will and those who have or know about the 35d know what I'm talking about.

Fast forward to today and I'm the proud owner of a 2011 35d and haven't looked back since. Not one shred of buyers remorse and I'm finding myself loving the diesel. Already we've done countless trips up the local mountains, went to visit some friends in Sonora and had a great time in Yosemite. The 35d has just been solid for us. The thing to know is that the 35d does have its issues though. Emission systems will be the weakest point but there is a lot of development on this side from tuners that can eliminate the need for those components completely. When compared to the other models the 35d in my eyes is still the most reliable and best platform.

All this being said my recommendation is drive numerous cars and really map out the costs and wants you are looking for. I went into it thinking I was getting a 48i and ended up with a 35d. Who knew?
Thanks for sharing!
I'm pretty sure i want the 35i from what I have read so far but the real decision will come once I test the different drivetrains and pkg's and that will include the 35d
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Best of luck on your search. Don't rush it, in the end it will be worth taking your time to find the right deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39
Best of luck on your search. Don't rush it, in the end it will be worth taking your time to find the right deal.
Thanks!
I'm in no hurry at all which should be to my benefit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
All the best!
Just don't buy a 5.0 without warranty. Ours has cost us $35,000 in repairs in the last 24 months of 6 years of ownership. The 5.0 is a disaster.
      06-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #20
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11
Quote:
All the best!
Just don't buy a 5.0 without warranty. Ours has cost us $35,000 in repairs in the last 24 months of 6 years of ownership. The 5.0 is a disaster.
Wow 35k ......duly noted!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #21
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

I have 35K miles on mine and just had a new turbo and valve seals done. It is in the shop again for Low Power warning/malfunction and shuddering. All under warranty, thankfully. Not happy with the quality of service at this dealer but need to let it play out.

The 50 is a blast to drive. I went in looking at the V6 and guess what I walked out with. When it is running, there is no comparison. Do not drive the V8 if you want the V6.

I make it a practice to not own a German car out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #22
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Wow 35k ......duly noted!
35K marks the extreme end of the spectrum. I've spent nothing on my 50i in 2 years other than rear brakes - basic maintenance. Had the N63 campaign work done, but that was obviously all covered by BMW. Worth noting, my situation probably marks the other end of the spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Do not drive the V8 if you want the V6.
Agreed 100%.
Appreciate 0