XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Opinions on Extended warranty - yes,no,when

I'm curious to get folks opinion on getting the extended warranty for my X6 (hopefully will be here in 2 weeks). What experiences, do's, don'ts that you would like to share. Is it best to get the warranty at time of purchase or wait until a you have passed a certain mileage/time ? Any thoughts appreciated.
      07-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I'm curious to get folks opinion on getting the extended warranty for my X6 (hopefully will be here in 2 weeks). What experiences, do's, don'ts that you would like to share. Is it best to get the warranty at time of purchase or wait until a you have passed a certain mileage/time ? Any thoughts appreciated.

I am pretty sure you can wait until right before your 4yr/50k warranty expires and buy it then. That way you can judge based on the problems you have over 4yrs. That is what I am planning on doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I am pretty sure you can wait until right before your 4yr/50k warranty expires and buy it then. That way you can judge based on the problems you have over 4yrs. That is what I am planning on doing.
Yeah, that's the best thing to do.

Buying it early means you are comitting extra money to a car you may not even keep. You might buy the extended warranty now but may decide to sell the car in a year or two and then you'll be lucky to recoup even part of the warranty costs.

Like Shenard said, the best time to buy is RIGHT before your factory warranty expires.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post

Buying it early means you are comitting extra money to a car you may not even keep. You might buy the extended warranty now but may decide to sell the car in a year or two and then you'll be lucky to recoup even part of the warranty costs.

Like Shenard said, the best time to buy is RIGHT before your factory warranty expires.

- KJ
+1

I fully agree!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
+1

I fully agree!
Has anyone done this before ?
do you have to haggle with dealer on it ? or do they just sell you the EW?
      07-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
simon š
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

I also would app. any good links to non bmw sites....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Cool Warranty Experience

Quote:
My 2 cents,
I've got a 2004 Porsche Cayenne right now. I have been through warranty issues before but with the cayenne i expected higher Quality and better coverage but I WAS WRONG! to keep a long story short, when our Cayenne reached 49,000+ the tranny started to slip and the Dealer covered the problem because i contacted them "BEFORE" she reach 50,000 but they were clearly unhappy that they had to spend $6K on a new tranny. so when i asked them about the extended warranty? the options were no longer $2499 i had to go directly to one of TWO companies that offer extended warranties for the PORSCHE CAYENNE and the prices Ranged from $2200 - $6500. WOW so i thought, damn that was really the only "Major" problem we have ever had with our Cayenne but still it was evident we messed up b waiting. the price for the extended warranty right from the dealer in the beginning was the best deal and we passed.. NOT THIS TIME!....

Quote:

- KJ
I Disagree.
It is NOT the best time to buy right before your warranty expires. you have No choice at that piont.That is what they want you to do.
the extended warranty FROM BMW for an additional 2yrs and 50K is only $1995. what is $2000 for that level of piece of mind?
Not to mention it definetly HELPS when it comes to "RESALE"
A USED VEHICLE IN WHATEVER CONDITION IS MORE Resellable or appealing THAN A VEHICLE WITH LITTLE OR NO EXTENDED WARRANTY especially if that warranty is from BMW themselves.
so i say, buy the extended warranty right from the beginning and save yourself from any HEADACHES or issues that may arise later on.
thats what I am going to do without hesitation. not to mention what if at 49,890 miles you do not have the $$$$ to get the warranty you want?
then what will you do? not drive it until you can save the money?
un realistic. buy early

Quote:
From my experience with Porsche, Mitsubishi and Isuzu The extended warranty gets more expensive the more miles you have on the vehicle. all that equals is more hassle later when its time o choose an extended warranty. i say do not play. the extended warranty right from BMW is Only $1995 according to my dealership "BMW of columbus, Ga" so i made sure i was clear that even though I am picking the X6 up from the performance ctr in SC, I am driving it STRAIGHT to them to get my warranty !!!

I will avoid all the B.S. with warranty no more. plus the advantage gained when reselling is no comparison. again, vehicles with extended warranties sell faster than vehicles w/o. period.

Just my 2cents.
GL in any case
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
you'd do better to invest the money for the extended warranty in something low risk and let it build until the regular warranty is up and use it as a fund for additional repairs if you keep the car that long (or not use it if you end up not needing repairs). Warranties in general are usually not a good deal and aren't needed unless the consequence of not having it would be ruinous (i.e. if you can't afford major repairs and can't live without your car). Given that you're buying an expensive car, I'm guessing that even if something happened that was greater than the value of the money otherwise spent upfront on extended warranty + interest earned, that it won't kill you.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonelm3 View Post
From my experience with Porsche, Mitsubishi and Isuzu The extended warranty gets more expensive the more miles you have on the vehicle. all that equals is more hassle later when its time o choose an extended warranty. i say do not play. the extended warranty right from BMW is Only $1995 according to my dealership "BMW of columbus, Ga" so i made sure i was clear that even though I am picking the X6 up from the performance ctr in SC, I am driving it STRAIGHT to them to get my warranty !!!

I will avoid all the B.S. with warranty no more. plus the advantage gained when reselling is no comparison. again, vehicles with extended warranties sell faster than vehicles w/o. period.

Just my 2cents.
GL in any case
From my experience with Porsche on my 911 Turbo Cab, the warranty price didn't change at all from day 1 and right before the 4-year warranty ended. Same with BMW on my previous E46 M3.

I think your Porsche dealer was trying to take advantage of you. The fact that your dealer "wasn't happy" about fixing the tranny is stupid too. My Porsche dealer fixes EVERYTHING, no questions asked. I have never been happier with warranty service as I have been with Porsche. Their service is top-notch (at least at my dealer)

The dealer doesn't pay for warranty claims out of their pocket, Porsche does. Porsche compensates the dealer for the costs, your dealer doesn't pay a dime and in fact MAKES money.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was wondering if anyone has experience with their BMW dealer and an X6 extended warranty. The price quoted by my dealer is $5k.
      07-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
From my experience with Porsche on my 911 Turbo Cab, the warranty price didn't change at all from day 1 and right before the 4-year warranty ended. Same with BMW on my previous E46 M3.

I think your Porsche dealer was trying to take advantage of you. The fact that your dealer "wasn't happy" about fixing the tranny is stupid too. My Porsche dealer fixes EVERYTHING, no questions asked. I have never been happier with warranty service as I have been with Porsche. Their service is top-notch (at least at my dealer)

The dealer doesn't pay for warranty claims out of their pocket, Porsche does. Porsche compensates the dealer for the costs, your dealer doesn't pay a dime and in fact MAKES money.

- KJ
I have to agree with KJ here. I have purchased two extended warranties, one for a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other for an Acura CL and both warranties were the same price day 1 as they were right before the warranty expired. I also even had several third-party companies to choose from that were even cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has experience with their BMW dealer and an X6 extended warranty. The price quoted by my dealer is $5k.
Wow! $5k sounds expensive. I would look at what third party groups charge but make sure you read the fine print if you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Usually $2-$3K is normal for a dealer offered extended warranty.
They're better than aftermarket wararnty's.

With aftermarket warranties, you have to pay first and then get reimbursed. Some aftermarket companies are better and will pay for you on your behalf, but there is still that "delay" between the time the dealer tells them what is wrong and they're "claims adjuster" approves it.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Oldboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG xDrive 35i

I'm taking delivery of my SG 35i tomorrow (ordered 10 weeks ago). My CA is offering a BMW tire and rim warranty. It will cover both the 20" summer set and a winter set. Is this a good idea, and what should I expect to pay? Thanks.

I found this and a few other threads regarding tire warranties - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum.../t-796634.html

Last edited by Oldboy; 07-30-2008 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy View Post
I'm taking delivery of my SG 35i tomorrow (ordered 10 weeks ago). My CA is offering a BMW tire and rim warranty. It will cover both the 20" summer set and a winter set. Is this a good idea, and what should I expect to pay? Thanks.

I found this and a few other threads regarding tire warranties - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum.../t-796634.html
I went in yesterday and talked to some service advisors to find the one I hit it off with the best and he said if he could make one suggestion to me it would be to add the tire and wheel policy because he said with the run flat tires they get in X5s every day that have nails in them and they are only allowed to repair the tire once (although not supposed to) and a set of rear tires is $600 and rims are very expensive if they get bent. I am thinking about adding it but he did mention it was around $1200. If that is the case I will pass and take my chances. How much did your dealer quote you?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went in yesterday and talked to some service advisors to find the one I hit it off with the best and he said if he could make one suggestion to me it would be to add the tire and wheel policy because he said with the run flat tires they get in X5s every day that have nails in them and they are only allowed to repair the tire once (although not supposed to) and a set of rear tires is $600 and rims are very expensive if they get bent. I am thinking about adding it but he did mention it was around $1200. If that is the case I will pass and take my chances. How much did your dealer quote you?
Ya I would be curious to have everyone weigh in on this (EW and tire/rim) , first i heard of tire/rim warranty. I have about 2 weeks before mine is at dealer so I would like to gather as much info as possible before I write the check.

shenard,
what exactly is covered for $1200 and for how long ?

Thanks

Last edited by dmlgc; 07-30-2008 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: spell
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
Oldboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG xDrive 35i

I think he said it was about $800. I'll get the details tomorrow and report back. I'm leaning towards a yes as I'm big on peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ya I would be curious to have everyone weigh in on this (EW and tire/rim) , first i heard of tire/rim warranty. I have about 2 weeks before mine is at dealer so I would like to gather as much info as possible before I write the check.

shenard,
what exactly is covered for $1200 and for how long ?

Thanks
Not sure the exact cost. The service advisor I spoke to seemed to think it was around that price and included rims and tires from all road hazard warranties. My CA is checking on this for me and should get back to me tomorrow. He thought the price was possibly negotiable and was going to see the best price he could get for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

so far it doesn't look like anyone that has taken delivery on an X6 has sprung for the EW.
      07-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #20
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Cool Warranty Experience

Quote:

- KJ
this will be long but i feel i should clarify.
This is good to know shenard & KJ. The porsche Dealer that was a "pain in the A$$" was in Tacoma, Wa.
they would Not cover my windshield wiperblade nor a couple interior light bulbs and my Cayenne had 19K at the time. they did not even want to give my wife a Loaner after they said the work would take 2-3days. when i got home i ended up driving 120 miles North to a Porsche Dealer up NE of SEATTLE where i was "Taken care of "
let me clarify, JIM ELLIS PORSCHE of ATLANTA was the Dealer i was referring to as being "upset" about the having to cover the tranny on the Cayenne.
I am In Iraq. my wife is who drives the Cayenne. she mentioned that the tranny had slipped once or twice. back in jan/feb she does not like to Drive my M3(neither do i want anyone to)and she does not even look at the Rodeo(when that is suppose to be her DD)so she kept driving the Cayenne. i got back on vacation April 3rd and as i got off the plane and was driving back with my wife and the kids the tranny slipped 30 miles south of the ATL AP. I looked at the miles 49,898.
Damn! my eyes nearly Popped out of my Head.
I pulled over Immediately and called JIM ELLIS PORSCHE. explained what was going on, confirmed that we do not have the EW and asked him what did he want me to do? park it right here until a Tow truck arrives to carry it up to you or bring it up myself (knowing I live over 150miles away= she will arrive with more then 50K. he said bring it in as soon as you can. we will do the work under the warranty because you called us).
i thought, Now THAT is taking care of the customer. we were given the new Mazda CX7 suv as a loaner which was cool. 3 weeks later as i am about to leave back to the desert, i call and they say the whole tranny had to be replaced and it should be ready by friday. i said; ok, cause i fly so my wife will handle the pick up.
the following week, AFTER i left is when a "technician" called my wife saying the Cayenne is Ready for pick up and the bill is $5,841! she flipped out.
This is where the "shyt" hit the fan so to speak.
it was amicable resolved but that is what i was reffering to but to be clear JIM ELLIS PORSCHE did eventually take care of us regardless on how many hours i had to stay up late from over here to get on the phone and mediate the situation between my wife and J.E.Porsche.
so to conclude. who was the One upset was a technician who did not Read the Notes in there system under Our name or Vehicle. he did not know that we called when the Cayenne had 49,898K and got the OK to drive it in knowing it would arrive over 50K. I should Not have made it seem like it was Porsche the manufacturer or the dealer themsleves but a tech who had a bad day and was not thorough as he usually is.
who tried to take advantage of us was the porsche dealer in Wa. they were the ones who tried to charge me a rediculous amount of money according to the Miles i had on my Cayenne and all the website they reffered asked for current milage and the prices quoted were fluctuated just the same according to the milage inputed

Quote:
dmlgc, $5K is Rediculous. BMW of Columbus, ga is not the best but even they have Quoted me $1995 for a 2yr/50K mile BMW EmW (extended maintaince warranty) for our new X6 50i WHICH HE SAID WAS THE SAME AS WHAT IS OFFERED FOR THE X5.

QUOTE=dmlgc;3080799]so far it doesn't look like anyone that has taken delivery on an X6 has sprung for the EW.[/QUOTE]

I guess, I maybe the 1st then! now, i have not heard anything about a wheel/Tire warranty but could see why it would be considered because those run flats are expensive.
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's

Last edited by leonelm3; 07-31-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonelm3 View Post
this will be long but i feel i should clarify.
This is good to know shenard & KJ. The porsche Dealer that was a "pain in the A$$" was in Tacoma, Wa.
they would Not cover my windshield wiperblade nor a couple interior light bulbs and my Cayenne had 19K at the time. they did not even want to give my wife a Loaner after they said the work would take 2-3days. when i got home i ended up driving 120 miles North to a Porsche Dealer up NE of SEATTLE where i was "Taken care of "
let me clarify, JIM ELLIS PORSCHE of ATLANTA was the Dealer i was referring to as being "upset" about the having to cover the tranny on the Cayenne.
I am In Iraq. my wife is who drives the Cayenne. she mentioned that the tranny had slipped once or twice. back in jan/feb she does not like to Drive my M3(neither do i want anyone to)and she does not even look at the Rodeo(when that is suppose to be her DD)so she kept driving the Cayenne. i got back on vacation April 3rd and as i got off the plane and was driving back with my wife and the kids the tranny slipped 30 miles south of the ATL AP. I looked at the miles 49,898.
Damn! my eyes nearly Popped out of my Head.
I pulled over Immediately and called JIM ELLIS PORSCHE. explained what was going on, confirmed that we do not have the EW and asked him what did he want me to do? park it right here until a Tow truck arrives to carry it up to you or bring it up myself (knowing I live over 150miles away= she will arrive with more then 50K. he said bring it in as soon as you can. we will do the work under the warranty because you called us).
i thought, Now THAT is taking care of the customer. we were given the new Mazda CX7 suv as a loaner which was cool. 3 weeks later as i am about to leave back to the desert, i call and they say the whole tranny had to be replaced and it should be ready by friday. i said; ok, cause i fly so my wife will handle the pick up.
the following week, AFTER i left is when a "technician" called my wife saying the Cayenne is Ready for pick up and the bill is $5,841! she flipped out.
This is where the "shyt" hit the fan so to speak.
it was amicable resolved but that is what i was reffering to but to be clear JIM ELLIS PORSCHE did eventually take care of us regardless on how many hours i had to stay up late from over here to get on the phone and mediate the situation between my wife and J.E.Porsche.
so to conclude. who was the One upset was a technician who did not Read the Notes in there system under Our name or Vehicle. he did not know that we called when the Cayenne had 49,898K and got the OK to drive it in knowing it would arrive over 50K. I should Not have made it seem like it was Porsche the manufacturer or the dealer themsleves but a tech who had a bad day and was not thorough as he usually is.
who tried to take advantage of us was the porsche dealer in Wa. they were the ones who tried to charge me a rediculous amount of money according to the Miles i had on my Cayenne and all the website they reffered asked for current milage and the prices quoted were fluctuated just the same according to the milage inputed

dmlgc, $5K is Rediculous. BMW of Columbus, ga is not the best but even they have Quoted me $1995 for a 2yr/50K mile BMW EmW (extended maintaince warranty) for our new X6 50i WHICH HE SAID WAS THE SAME AS WHAT IS OFFERED FOR THE X5.

QUOTE=dmlgc;3080799]so far it doesn't look like anyone that has taken delivery on an X6 has sprung for the EW.
I guess, I maybe the 1st then! now, i have not heard anything about a wheel/Tire warranty but could see why it would be considered because those run flats are expensive. [/QUOTE]

The $5k was for extended power train warranty.
      07-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

BTW, leonelm3, the red font is really annoying to read. What's wrong with black?

- KJ
Appreciate 0