XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Jan Jones
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door

Thinking of buying x5 son works at BMW

Hi I'm looking at the BMW x5 2012. Here's my concerns any thoughts suggestions would help. (Son works for BMW so he is biased of course!)
I'm selling my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited 4door 4wd. It has a "death wobble" stalls on highways, and I was hit by a semi truck in it and injured. My other Vehicle is a 2012 Dodge Ram Laramie Crew Cab and 4X4 Silverado Chevy Truck.
So a BMW is a leap for me. (my daughter works for GM so I could get a discount for a GM product (about 10 grand off of a truck,or go with my sons BMW discount) I'll be paying cash don't know if that is any incentive (no trade in). Here's my problem.
I live 4000 ft up on top of a mountain (lots of snow) basically it would stay parked in the garage in the winters, but worry about the 1 mile up the gravel road, strain on engine overheating etc. I need a "comfort vehicle with power" I had one knee replaced the other knee being operated on next week, and shoulder surgery. Also Saftey features. I'm use to big secure monster trucks. And need something I can visually see all around me (no blind spots). It will be a "granny car" I'm 61 with grandkids I haul around occasionally. Last it needs to "ride easy" I have fibromyalgia (Pain Syndrome). I drive about 5,000 miles a year. Do these vehicles last past 100,000 miles. Is repairs higher than US made vehicles? How is resale vale on them. Last of all I want this vehicle to last a long time, so I'll need to "LIKE" it. Mabe let my son or grand kids drive me around when I no longer, tolerate the thought of driving. I'm seriouslylaboring over this matter. HELP!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

BMW would never be as spacey inside as your Dodge or GM truck, thats one. Two, when BMW runs out of warranty after 4 years it'll be extremely expensive to repair unless you buy an extended coverage. Three, all BMWs are somewhat sporty vehicles with firm ride and sensitive steering even if equipped with adjustable suspension with comfort settings and features. Four, X5 is not a tough built truck like Ford or Dodge, it's more of a high-sitting car with all wheel drive on demand, not a 4x4. Finally towing capability would depends on you and the X5 you choose, diesel model would be the best option depending of course on the weigh you planning to tow. My suggestion is to go with american built in your situation.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
TwinturboGTR
Rep
Drives: E53 4.8is

Well in your situation, and X5 would be a good alternative and IMHO, the best. Now given you already have a Silverado and such, if you needed to haul anything huge, you can just use those. Not saying that an X5 wouldn't be able to do it, but if the 2 4x4's you have were purchased for that reason, then use them for that reason.

While I agree you aren't going to be able to do some serious off roading in an X5, it sounds to me you just want an SUV to haul your grandkids back and forth from the playground or lunch. So is the X5 capable of doing that? Absolutely. You also say you have a house on top of the mountain and worried that the motor won't be able to take it. It will have no problems. If you go to Xoutpost.com; while I am sure you can find them here, there are a lot of pictures with guys hauling HUGE boats, going on top of mountains and such without a hiccup.

Just remember, just because you own a BMW doesn't mean it is better, it is just different. I've encountered alot of members from other bimmer sites that say, "X-drive blows! Tried going through 4' of snow and it wouldn't go." Well hell, anything would have a hard time in 4' of snow! So long as you can grasp that, then you will be alright.

So here are my thoughts. If you want an X5, for your use, either go with a Diesel or ramp it up to an 8 cyl. This way you have the power you need when you need it. As far as reliability, so long as you keep her maintained, you won't have a problem. Read up on the forums to see common pesky problems and then reflect. If they are going to bother you too much, then move on. If it were me, I'd consider buying a CPO. Most of the cars that come in are off lease. So usually they have either 1.5 to 2 years of factory warranty left. Couple that with a (prorated) 6 year 100K miles (6 years from inservice date. You can normally get 4 years 60K warranty under your ownership. Plus for the first 1.5 to 2 years you still have the factory maint. plan attached to the car. You can choose to extend that plan when the plan runs out.

Resale wise, like any new car, the minute you drive it off the lot, expect a loss. After 40K miles, the price begins to stabilize. An example would be on the older E53 X5's 4.8is's. Some are still going for over $20K and the last of that production was in early 2006. That's why CPO is presented in a better light.

Ride comfort wise, it is very comfortable. You won't miss being in 2500 Hd with a Duramax motor and Allison tranny. Believe me, I have one. It's good for what it does, but I don't want to drive it for hours. And as for blindspots, I don't believe there aren't any BIG ones on the E70's, but then again I have only driven one a handful of times so I really don't know.

So hopefully that helps. Good luck for your search.

Oh and your son who works at the dealership can prob help you out on shop costs, but pricewise for a vehicle purchase, I am not privy to those details. I know it won;t be as impressive as your daughter's deal at the GM dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

I hate to see you waste your money on a car that will not deliver what you want from your ride. BMWs are great cars for sporty driving, and you pay for it.
they are expensive and not as durable or reliable. their market is way smaller than, say GM or Toyota, so selling it won't be that easy. resale value among the worst in "every-day joe" market. to change oil, you need a special shop or the dealer ......
I would say go with a Toyota or a Lexus. you get comfort, smooth ride and longivity of affordable ownership, just my two cents.
before anyone starts attacking my post, I own 2 brand new BMW trucks and I owned at least 10 BMWs since I started driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
TwinturboGTR
Rep
Drives: E53 4.8is

WHOA I must be in the wrong arena. Not very favorable on bimmers are we?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinturboGTR
WHOA I must be in the wrong arena. Not very favorable on bimmers are we?
Favorable, Yes. Biased, No.

There is really a few basic pointers the OP is interested in. Spaciousness and ride comfort (granny car) he has knee and back problems - X5 is not. Tough built and reliable - X5 is far from it. Good resale value and inexpensive cost of ownership - X5 is not. Towing and houling, well that depends on the size and weigh of the tow. Verdict BMW X5 does not suit his needs. I would go with a GM built truck in his situation, Tahoe/Escalade and the like, since it's his other alternative.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Go with a suburban. The x5 is not spacious and is not an easy ride.

You should test drive for yourself. Post back here what you decide.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
GKyri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 30D

We dont have a lot of monster trucks in Australia and we are happier for it. I can imagine that they would offer a softer ride than an X5. Read the responses on this forum on the reliability of the Diesel - it's all good news. Its definitely a high riding car rather than a truck (we would never refer to it as a truck here).

The only issue that I can think of for you is that the car is not that easy to step into. I have to assist my elderly mother to step into the car and this is made worse by the sports seats in the car (order the comfort seats instead). I couldn't imagine that the American trucks would be any better in this regard.

If you don't go for an X5 then I recommend a 3.0D BMW X3 for you. Get one with standard wheels and as high profile tyres as you can. This will aid ride comfort and the lower overall height will be beneficial for stepping in. There is more than enough torque in the 3.0 diesel to take you up any mountain.

The BMW runflats tires will give you peace of mind ensuring that you are never stuck on the side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Jan Jones
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door

Thanks for your imput very informative. The trucks we have get us off the mountain in 2 foot of snow with no difficulty. As to the next purchase it will be basically my car only designed for my needs/physical limitations so hubby is letting me pick. I did a test drive yesterday with son. Drove the X Drive35i M sport package, X3 Drive 35i premium & x5 xDrive35i Premium. I have to say I was "Blown away" with the ride. And trust me at my age nothing much impresses me anymore.
Sort of reminded me of my (RX7 & Trans Am GTA days 0-60 in 5 seconds) And the seat adjustments was a big plus being able to adjust the seat exactly where I need it under my knees it helps with the nerve pain in the legs. Foot rest nice touch. Comfort for the placement of arms to rest were just right. Loved the lumbar support and wings folding in making it a secure fit and memory button for us mentally challenged, and fact they were heated for winter, great for arthritic conditions (our truck seats in the Laramie are heated). On the test drive, the engine stopping at the red light threw me I thought I had broke it *_*
Even the steering wheel heated again us old ladies gotta love it. I did not see any "visual blind spots" Getting into vehicle with knee replacements, I'm 5'6 so I just slid in, with no need to step up or down putting unnecessary stress on my joints. Now with the parking camera, great option since I have a whip lash, and 2 cervical discs out of place but I did not seem to trust the camera I still wanted to look. I found the shift knob a little confusing, sort of whimpy looking would have liked a beefed up leather one
The car had a lot of pep, quick response time, steering felt tight on highway, but loved the automatic adjustment for parking (nice since I have a right crushed shoulder with nerve entrapment). I could see whipping it around the Blue Ridge Parkway for fun, sort of like ride it on rails. Another plus was the back hatch door, has automatic opening, and can be stopped at different degrees (audi did not). And no big drop down door in the way. Overall I don't think I need the size the x5 offers. I definitely ruled the M sport package out due to the seats and different ride/suspension configuration although I loved the sportier look. (felt stiffer). Still trying to come to grip with the "skinny tires/wheels. I'm so use to the big 20" tires or Micky Thompson style.
My concern was "saftey issues" since being nearly decimated in a semi truck/auto collision. But noticed they have 5 star ratings across the board. As for resale, I would not be selling it. I drive under 5K a year. Being age 61 I generally keep a vehicle 10 years then pass it down to the kids, or grandkids. I did a comparison/test drives with other AWD/4wd. So far have ruled out: Audi's line, Lexus (which is what my son has right now) Chevy makes, despite GM discount I don't like anything their making now. Ruled out Subaru Outback, Grand Cherokee Overland, Ford Explorer, Dodge Citadel, Range Rover, Hummer, Buick Enclave, Tahoe, Yukon, but I did really get a hankering to slip into a Sport Ram Truck, love the body style and trim. Just can't justify owing 3 trucks.
Sons discount from BMW work up came to this. I could get an X3 35XDdr35i with building to my specifications it came to $54,495.00 after they applied his discount total was $46,680.00 and tag & tax. I think with the savings I should probably get an extended warranty. So at this point it has now came down to do I get the x3 (this would be my first suv/awd in my whole life. Or do I opt instead for BMW x6 luxury sedan(as in the past I use to drive cadilacs/ lincolns) I would still have room for the teenage grandkids. I suppose at this stage in my life and driving winding down, I'm leaning to what my kids would like when I'm done with it. But if the x6 would be a better smoother ride with a bigger wheel base I may need to consider that too. I did a work up on an x6 with basically the same options I would need and the total cost was very close out the door after BMW discount. But I think it sits lower to the ground, and going up 1 mile rough gravel road to the cabin it might drag/rocks pit the side etc.
I'm at my sons in Greenville SC right now going in the morning to test drive again. Hubby coming down from Asheville to test drive also. Then take the tour of the BMW plant. May need to look more into the diesel. We have a spare Customized Van so large 4wd suv's are out. Thanks guys for your help will keep posted on what I decide. BIG DECISION TO MAKE Oh I like the Vermillion red/oyster leather interior/waveline configuration any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

I have a vermillion red x1, great color but also really like the space grey. Panoramic sun roof is great, really lights up the interior with the windows tinted and black leather.

Go for the X model, sounds like you need some comfort, your son should be able to option it for comfort. The X models I think are far better for on road driving and light off road, than any other truck.

They can be expensive to fix, and may have more problems than other vehicles, but you hear more bad than good on the Internet.

With warranty etc, I say go for it, the smile you get after a drive is well worth it, probably won't get that at GM. Ps the diesel motors are really good. I have the 2.0D and it is a blast.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Jones
Thanks for your imput very informative. The trucks we have get us off the mountain in 2 foot of snow with no difficulty. As to the next purchase it will be basically my car only designed for my needs/physical limitations so hubby is letting me pick. I did a test drive yesterday with son. Drove the X Drive35i M sport package, X3 Drive 35i premium & x5 xDrive35i Premium. I have to say I was "Blown away" with the ride. And trust me at my age nothing much impresses me anymore.
Sort of reminded me of my (RX7 & Trans Am GTA days 0-60 in 5 seconds) And the seat adjustments was a big plus being able to adjust the seat exactly where I need it under my knees it helps with the nerve pain in the legs. Foot rest nice touch. Comfort for the placement of arms to rest were just right. Loved the lumbar support and wings folding in making it a secure fit and memory button for us mentally challenged, and fact they were heated for winter, great for arthritic conditions (our truck seats in the Laramie are heated). On the test drive, the engine stopping at the red light threw me I thought I had broke it *_*
Even the steering wheel heated again us old ladies gotta love it. I did not see any "visual blind spots" Getting into vehicle with knee replacements, I'm 5'6 so I just slid in, with no need to step up or down putting unnecessary stress on my joints. Now with the parking camera, great option since I have a whip lash, and 2 cervical discs out of place but I did not seem to trust the camera I still wanted to look. I found the shift knob a little confusing, sort of whimpy looking would have liked a beefed up leather one
The car had a lot of pep, quick response time, steering felt tight on highway, but loved the automatic adjustment for parking (nice since I have a right crushed shoulder with nerve entrapment). I could see whipping it around the Blue Ridge Parkway for fun, sort of like ride it on rails. Another plus was the back hatch door, has automatic opening, and can be stopped at different degrees (audi did not). And no big drop down door in the way. Overall I don't think I need the size the x5 offers. I definitely ruled the M sport package out due to the seats and different ride/suspension configuration although I loved the sportier look. (felt stiffer). Still trying to come to grip with the "skinny tires/wheels. I'm so use to the big 20" tires or Micky Thompson style.
My concern was "saftey issues" since being nearly decimated in a semi truck/auto collision. But noticed they have 5 star ratings across the board. As for resale, I would not be selling it. I drive under 5K a year. Being age 61 I generally keep a vehicle 10 years then pass it down to the kids, or grandkids. I did a comparison/test drives with other AWD/4wd. So far have ruled out: Audi's line, Lexus (which is what my son has right now) Chevy makes, despite GM discount I don't like anything their making now. Ruled out Subaru Outback, Grand Cherokee Overland, Ford Explorer, Dodge Citadel, Range Rover, Hummer, Buick Enclave, Tahoe, Yukon, but I did really get a hankering to slip into a Sport Ram Truck, love the body style and trim. Just can't justify owing 3 trucks.
Sons discount from BMW work up came to this. I could get an X3 35XDdr35i with building to my specifications it came to $54,495.00 after they applied his discount total was $46,680.00 and tag & tax. I think with the savings I should probably get an extended warranty. So at this point it has now came down to do I get the x3 (this would be my first suv/awd in my whole life. Or do I opt instead for BMW x6 luxury sedan(as in the past I use to drive cadilacs/ lincolns) I would still have room for the teenage grandkids. I suppose at this stage in my life and driving winding down, I'm leaning to what my kids would like when I'm done with it. But if the x6 would be a better smoother ride with a bigger wheel base I may need to consider that too. I did a work up on an x6 with basically the same options I would need and the total cost was very close out the door after BMW discount. But I think it sits lower to the ground, and going up 1 mile rough gravel road to the cabin it might drag/rocks pit the side etc.
I'm at my sons in Greenville SC right now going in the morning to test drive again. Hubby coming down from Asheville to test drive also. Then take the tour of the BMW plant. May need to look more into the diesel. We have a spare Customized Van so large 4wd suv's are out. Thanks guys for your help will keep posted on what I decide. BIG DECISION TO MAKE Oh I like the Vermillion red/oyster leather interior/waveline configuration any thoughts?
Wow, definitely unexpected. You should go diesel then with comfort seats and running boards.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
No_lines_for_Diesel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

PS - When the electric goes out and when everyone is scampering for gas (like in NY now) ..... diesel is still readily available
Appreciate 0