XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Was going to get X5M, but thinking X6M

In the X5M section, I posted that I was looking to get back into a X5M. I sold my M after it was in an accident and got a Cayenne TT and it just doesn't do it for me. Dealer will take it back without too much loss. I was looking for a X5M again when my wife said "don't get the X5M again, the X6M is so much cooler and the X5M body is old"......

To be honest, I always dismissed X6M as kinda weird looking but I also did that with the Panamera before I bought one for the wife. Now the Panny is a valued family driver that we love.

We don't have kids yet, just 2 labs and really no need for the X5M. Plus I've already had the X5M and the new body is out.

When is the new X6 coming? Why the X6? Is it ugly like the Panamera or a fashion/style statement only for the brave?

Also, the X6M seems to not hold its value when I compare to a X5M for similar year/miles/options..... any idea why? Not much interest? For example, tough to get a loaded 2012 X5M for 62-64K but they seem to be around for the 6........

Just some random thoughts. Need to go drive one.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

We deliberated on 2014 X5 vs 2015 X6 as well. Either way, you can not go wrong as both are new model year.

For us, it came down to aesthetics and practicality. They both drives about the same. The x6 def looks better but we would loose the trunk space and lost rear headroom from the lowered roofline. The X5 cargo isn't big enough compared to others in the same class. Based on those reasons and the slightly cost savings where we can spend it and load up on X5, we went for the F15.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Drove the X6M today. Solid car, like a tank. Seems more solid than my Cayenne TT. Can't decide if I love it or hate it...... def has a presence on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

No offense to those with the X6M, but I don't find it particularly attractive. Has a lot of presence but I don't think it looks good and with less rear headroom and space, it makes no sense to me.

My vote is find a 2013 X5M for a great price, or wait for the new model to come.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I love my X6M but I tend to like cars that aren't too popular. I think your used prices research reflects that.

If cargo space and rear headroom isn't a concern, the main reason left to decide between X5M and X6M is which styling and looks appeal to you.

I made my decision, only you can make yours.

Either way, can't go wrong!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
No offense to those with the X6M, but I don't find it particularly attractive. Has a lot of presence but I don't think it looks good and with less rear headroom and space, it makes no sense to me.

My vote is find a 2013 X5M for a great price, or wait for the new model to come.
I agree, with all due respect to those that have them. Just from a looks perspective, the rear fender flares that are missing from the X6m vs the ones on the X5m make a huge difference. They both drive the same, so it should come down to your own preference of looks and needs.
      02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Everyones mentioned it but go with what you like more. I had optioned out an x5m and x6m with identical options and all I had to do was give my downpayment to start production... here I am 3 years later and not regretting my decision at all. Pick the one that makes you smile when you hop in!

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

one big factor, unless you lease, is X6 will be redesigned next year. But again, with Adrian Von Hoydonk it's hard to say if it's going to be a hit or a miss. The X5 is just redesigned so your car will be new for 6-7 years.

I owned a 1st gen X5, but with X6 for some reason being less common I got high-beamed twice by a fellow X6ers. Kinda cool, like those hogs rider lowering their left hands when passing each other on opposite lanes.
Appreciate 0