XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d (sold)

A/C blower won't work

X5 '09 diesel---this is the second time my a/c blower has stopped working. Seat a/c also. The rear vents seem to work. Any ideas where I can look to see if there is anything I can do to remedy the situation? I did a search on final drive unit and blower motor resistor w/ no luck. Tks.....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

update

I was able to drop my car off before my scheduled apt. w/ Peake BMW. They were able to replace the a/c blower and all works fine w/ the front vents. I think I was mistaken re: the ventilated sets not working - maybe they were. However, what I forgot to add to my original post was that the rear a/c system was not holding it's program setting from the idrive, i.e, auto or use driver's setting selection. Service said they reprogrammed my key and it worked. Upon getting the car back and selecting either setting, it stays checked until the rear a/c is turned on or just disappears for whatever reason. Service is still trying to figure it out. FYI.......
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
techforge
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

I'm curious if your service dept ever finds a complete resolution. We have a strange problem on our '07 4.8. Regardless of whether the blower was off when the car was shutdown, upon cranking the car the AC always turns on with the fan on the lowest speed. Not a big deal in the summer, but it's annoying in the winter to have the AC automatically on as soon as the car is started - immediately have to crank it back over to heat. We've also gotten a "high battery drain" message in the idrive a few times. After googling that it seems a number of people reported this message in conjunction with blower motor problems. It seems the blower motor resistor doesn't cut off completely when the car is shutdown and allows the fan motor to draw current all night - hence the nearly dead battery next morning. I'm wondering if these fan related issues are indicative of the blower motor resistor going south.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

i had same issue which was resolved on a recent maintenance visit..

they didn't provide a specific reason for the defective item only that it was a known issue with that particular unit and they have replaced many of these units in the past...

i tried looking around for signs of electrical or mechanical problems but came up empty... i believe it is just a case of cheaper quality components...

also had the same issue with my NAV DVD player unit... had it swapped for the same reasons...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
I'm curious if your service dept ever finds a complete resolution. We have a strange problem on our '07 4.8. Regardless of whether the blower was off when the car was shutdown, upon cranking the car the AC always turns on with the fan on the lowest speed. Not a big deal in the summer, but it's annoying in the winter to have the AC automatically on as soon as the car is started - immediately have to crank it back over to heat. We've also gotten a "high battery drain" message in the idrive a few times. After googling that it seems a number of people reported this message in conjunction with blower motor problems. It seems the blower motor resistor doesn't cut off completely when the car is shutdown and allows the fan motor to draw current all night - hence the nearly dead battery next morning. I'm wondering if these fan related issues are indicative of the blower motor resistor going south.
Same thing happens to me - I turn the a/c off before I turn the engine off, but it's always turns itself on when I start the car??? Mine at the lowest speed also.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Have u tried this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine View Post
Same thing happens to me - I turn the a/c off before I turn the engine off, but it's always turns itself on when I start the car??? Mine at the lowest speed also.
Have u tried inserting the key fob into the ignition when u reset the a/c settings, pull the fob out of ignition, then adjust it again to another setting, then switch the a.c off , turn off ignition. lock the car. walk away from the car minimum 10 metres. then re enter the car. If u leave the key fob out of the ignition at this point, what setting is the a/c?
If u leave the car again then return & now reinsert the fob in the ignition, what setting is the a/c now? Is is the same or different? Let us know how this works out.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Have u tried inserting the key fob into the ignition when u reset the a/c settings, pull the fob out of ignition, then adjust it again to another setting, then switch the a.c off , turn off ignition. lock the car. walk away from the car minimum 10 metres. then re enter the car. If u leave the key fob out of the ignition at this point, what setting is the a/c?
If u leave the car again then return & now reinsert the fob in the ignition, what setting is the a/c now? Is is the same or different? Let us know how this works out.
Did not quite get what you meant-putting the fob in the ignition and resetting the a/c with the car not started but turning off the ignition??, etc. I did do this however, and I'll preface it with the fact that I almost always, always, drive with the fob in my pocket and use the convenience lock/unlock engine start feature... What I did was go to the car and unlock it by using the fob, put the fob in the ignition and start the engine. A/C turned on by itself. I then turned the A/C off, stopped the engine and removed the fob from the ignition, exit the car and lock w/ the fob. I then walked away. I returned to the car and repeated the procedure and the A/C did not turn on. I then repeated the whole thing again (twice) using all convenience features(unlock, engine start and lock) and the A/C still stayed off. Maybe related to using / not using the fob??? Haven't checked the manual lately. Will look again when I get a chance. Cheers...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Well, my "fix" didn't work. When I got in the car today, using the convenience feature and started the car, my a/c turned itself on...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

a/c issues

If there's no consistency how the a/c turns on or off, only a SA who's thoroughly familiar w/ the system can diagnose the real issue.
Maybe the car's programming needs to be totally re-prepped.
Search on past a/c issues w/ other members, think "Deda" had a/c compressor issues a few months back.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

archwerks - i'm beginning to think these cars(in general) are getting too complicated. I spent many hours w/ my '08 Range Rover reps - on the phone, in the shop, in rentals, in the srvc advisors office, etc. - because it didn't work properly and I was hoping for a problem free car here. I sold the RR after less than a yr and a big loss. I guess I'm going to have to live w/ this one and let the service people figure it out when it goes for reg. mtnc. Getting a little tired of it all. I searched before I posted w/ no luck. It's all very time consuming and disappointing. Oh well.....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine View Post
archwerks - i'm beginning to think these cars(in general) are getting too complicated. I spent many hours w/ my '08 Range Rover reps - on the phone, in the shop, in rentals, in the srvc advisors office, etc. - because it didn't work properly and I was hoping for a problem free car here. I sold the RR after less than a yr and a big loss. I guess I'm going to have to live w/ this one and let the service people figure it out when it goes for reg. mtnc. Getting a little tired of it all. I searched before I posted w/ no luck. It's all very time consuming and disappointing. Oh well.....
The thread was titled "Climate control problem" by Deda, try link below:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ighlight=a%2Fc

Ask a SA to show/demonstrate to u in another similar model in the show rm. then have them check yours afterwards to c if it's working properly.
I agree, electronic/ computer issues are a pain in the neck.
I had a glitch last week myself but it went away after i restarted engine. Everything ok now, so i'm leaving it 'til scheduled maintenance.
A friend in a ML had noises that come & goes. Comes when he is driving by himself, goes when the mechanic is in the car!
Sign of the times.
Absolute quality cannot be delivered absolutely all the time.
Man is not perfect, therefore Man cannot build anything perfectly.
Despite Billion $'s building satellites/shuttles, w/ the best rocket scientists, 14 astronauts still lost their lives.
JFK says " ...here on earth, God's work must truly be our own."
How many of us are that conscientious?

Last edited by archwerks; 12-03-2009 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0