XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
xsnerg
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 SAV

X6 Problem with Blank Navigation Screen

Anyone else experience a blank navigation screen when first turning on the car (early) in the morning? Feels like it might be temperature related, which is why I specify early. If leave the house between 5 and 6 am, the nav screen will be blank during that drive (even if I turn off the car and restart, several times, screen won't go on until the next time I drive), but if I first turn on the car at around 7 or later, the screen will start up normally. BMW dealer hasn't been able to figure it out; it's with them for the second time for this problem right now, over one week each time.

I'm searching here for a solution because we had a problem with a Prius that also only occurred first thing early in the morning. Toyota couldn't figure it out, either. I learned from a Forum that people on the east coast had had similar problems and the culprit was the water pump. I asked Toyota to check that, and they told me that both water pumps were on the verge of failing and that the car wasn't safe to drive until they were replaced.

So, any similar problems, or ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I live in norcal and temps are low in morning when I go to work (gong ice warning, triangle goes off sometimes) , haven't seen this.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
herol
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Hi, i have the same problem. It happened several times. But i found that my I-Drive screen is working but without back lighting . I refer this to my dealer they fixed but after few months it happens again. The Dealer told me that they will change the screen if problem appear again.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnerg View Post
Anyone else experience a blank navigation screen when first turning on the car (early) in the morning? Feels like it might be temperature related, which is why I specify early. If leave the house between 5 and 6 am, the nav screen will be blank during that drive (even if I turn off the car and restart, several times, screen won't go on until the next time I drive), but if I first turn on the car at around 7 or later, the screen will start up normally. BMW dealer hasn't been able to figure it out; it's with them for the second time for this problem right now, over one week each time.

I'm searching here for a solution because we had a problem with a Prius that also only occurred first thing early in the morning. Toyota couldn't figure it out, either. I learned from a Forum that people on the east coast had had similar problems and the culprit was the water pump. I asked Toyota to check that, and they told me that both water pumps were on the verge of failing and that the car wasn't safe to drive until they were replaced.

So, any similar problems, or ideas?
Your car is probably still sleeping at this early hour and this is the cars polite way of telling you to go f*** off and let it sleep for another hour

I assume what you are describing is that the screen stays completely blank as in dark and does not even show that it has the back light on?

Or does the screen appear to be powered but no information shows up (it goes from black as in off to a dark gray without anything being displayed)?

If it's on but doesn't show anything, try removing the navigation DVD from the drive and start the car. The screen usually gets turned on AFTER the computer started reading the DVD disc. In cold weather, the drive may have issues calibrating the laser/optics on the disc and hence it will either not turn the screen at all or it may take a VERY long time before anything shows up.

Another issue could be that due to cold weather (and especially with high humidity), the CCFL back light power supply may not be able to start up properly and hence it appears that the display stays dark. The iDrive may actually display information on the screen, but since there is no light you can't really see it. You may be able to read it if you look at the screen from an angle.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

X your way with words is always an interesting read...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

After 11k miles, my screen went not blank, but very very dim when leaving work one day around 5PM.

I could barely make out the screen image but it was there.

Nothing special about the day. not hot or cold.

I stopped the truck and restarted the engine. It worked fine after that.

Based on previous experiences with BMW's that had iDrive, I have run across certain sequences that would cause iDrive to require a restart. i.e. Doing too many things at once while the computer is booting.

Last edited by chuck92103; 04-16-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
X your way with words is always an interesting read...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

For the second time in one year my screen went blank (back light off), text barely visible.

I pressed the two eject buttons along with the volume knob together to perfomr a reset and the screen came back on. I would take it in but I think the dealer can only fix this when it is reproducable.

My guess it is a software glitch more than a hardware issue.
      06-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
For the second time in one year my screen went blank (back light off), text barely visible.

I pressed the two eject buttons along with the volume knob together to perfomr a reset and the screen came back on. I would take it in but I think the dealer can only fix this when it is reproducable.

It could be just a software glitch, but it could also be the CCFL power supply circuit. Depending on the power supply's design, in case of a fault or overload, it either shuts down and stays off (as in your case) or it repeatedly tries to restart (which is far more stressful on components).

When you perform a reset, it would cycle the power to the CCFL power supply and hence it will try to start up again, in which case it may be able to start up normally.

This shouldn't really happen in normal operating conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

I am with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
      06-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
Nice to know that BMW NA DOES keep a watchful eye in here!

I especially appreciate the fact that you do offer help to those that need it!

THANKS BMW of NA
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Nice to know that BMW NA DOES keep a watchful eye in here!

I especially appreciate the fact that you do offer help to those that need it!

THANKS BMW of NA
I think it's very smart on their part, cost little , creates goodwill with customers and they can expedite getting a problem fixed which reduces customer frustration/anger.

Now if we could just get their design guys read our posts so they don't continue a "feature" from year to year that everyone hates.
Oh well I happy for after the fact support.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
Very cool - keep it up.

I think it's interesting that BMW is one of the few, and maybe the only company (I'm not aware of any other), that offers a maintenance free (virtually 0 cost after ownership) warranty.

One could argue this is strictly good business, and it is, since European cars in general have a reputation for being finicky and troublesome. A close friend owned a nice MB SUV and traded it after six months due to constant trips to the delaer for repairs. Another friend owned a Daimler-Chrysler Crossfire and got rid of that because the dealer was constantly ordering new ecm's from Germany. In both cases the owners anticipated very expensive maintenance/repairs after normal warranty expired.

BMW's good warranty goes a long way to providing consumers the confidence that purchasing a fine European car means not having to shell out a lot of maintenance/repair $'s for the 2nd, 3rd, etc. years of ownership. No doubt that has contributed to the bimmer's popularity and good sales. I think it even better that BMW NA Customer Relations is monitoring boards like this and steps in once in a while to assist.

dmlgc +1 Some of the other BMW divisions should be listening as well.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-07-2009 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
octriathlete
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5

My 2007 X5 just started having problems with the Nav Screen. When I start it up in the morning, the screen is black and stays black until I start it up again when it's light out. It's very annoying to get into a cold car in the morning and have my screen black. I just took it to the dealer and picked it up last night, and they could find no faults in the system, and pretty much said, "We hope it doesn't happen again." This morning I started it, and same black screen. It's the 4th time it's happened in the last week.

Has anyone found a fix to this? One of these mornings when it's black I'm just going to drive it over to the dealer and wait for them to open and have them look at it while it's black.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
agarbuio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5

2007 x5 navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA View Post
I saw you responded to these posts. I have been having the same problems w/ my nav screen on and off for a few years ( say 4 times total) it usually corrects itself. I have mentioned it to the dealer during scheduled service calls but they could not replicate. it recently happened again but will not correct on its own. suggestions ? it is working but is to dim to see in daylight.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya my x6 just went out of BMW warranty and
my screen is doing this. Took to dealer (have extended warranty)
they said nothing wrong (did again two days later), they
dont seem as interested as when it was under BMW warranty.

So far three finger salute seems to bring it back to
Life, feel like giving the one finger salute.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
dannym
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport

same issue here, my screen is blank and the whole cic is none functional only on very cold mornings. The next day it will come back to life. The only fix I have found is to pull the fuse on the cic and it comes back to life.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #18
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Had a similar experience in November last year. I was hiking in Lake Tahoe and the temperatures were easily below freezing in the evening. After the first night, the next morning iDrive was having the same problems you describe and wouldn't come on for the rest of the weekend. Seemed to resolve after getting back to the warmer climes of the San Francisco area and hasn't come back since.

I took it to the local dealer a couple weeks later and they checked it out, but couldn't repeat or find anything wrong. If you find out anything about this problem, I'd definitely appreciate hearing about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
maximal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70,E83,E87,E90,E93

Same problem here.

Last year I`ve changed the whole display.
After six months - same problem.

Any new solutions?
Appreciate 0