XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Driven: X5 35i with Dinan N55 Tune

Hello all, new to this forum but been around on another for a few years. Thought I'd share my quick impression of the new N55 tune for the X5 35i which I've been waiting patiently for since buying a 35i M Sport a couple months back - which I love. Power and handling are great for what this vehicle is and I drive it like snot quite a bit, still achieving excellent gas mileage overall. But more power isn't a bad thing so I'm thinking this tune will be a no-brainer. My dealer called me on Monday after receiving the new tune from Dinan. They'd already installed it in a demo and were awaiting my test drive. I dropped out today as it started to snow unfortunately but...nothing ventured, nothing gained and the roads were only wet by this point.

Initial impressions - seat of the pants with no instruments - is that the new tune with its stated 55 hp/100 ft/lbs torque gains is absolutely noticeable, particularly in DS (Sport) mode. In regular D mode and under moderate to hard acceleration the truck feels much lighter and sprints to speed with much less effort. Otherwise the tune is seamless and you wouldn't know it's there. I'm a Dinan fan and would expect nothing less.

DS mode under hard acceleration is where you'll really appreciate the difference. There's no lag, the increased power/torque is immediately noticeable, the shifts are crisp and the power/pull remains on tap much longer. This was really evident at speed (80-100 km/h) where a forced downshift gives you a much better and prolonged "push" into your backrest. I can equate this new found power to driving an X3 35i which by nature and weight, is about a second quicker to 60 mph than a stock X5 35i. The tuned X5 "feels" as quick and nible as a stock X3 and I'll be curious to see some official 0-60 times to prove the point.

So I got back into my own X5 for the drive home and it was just not the same anymore. On the wet roads my Traction Control remained inactive under hard acceleration (with big, fat Scorpion Ice/Snows). The TC on the tuned X5 (also on a winter tire package) was continually interfering on the same roads. Again, not the best environment to test the new tune but it'll only get better when the roads are dry here. Amazing what a couple thousand dollars can do!! Worth it - yup. And with a great BMW/Dinan dealer combo like mine, absolutely no worries!!

So I'm going to pop for this and a proper suspension makeover (H&R 1.2" + Bilsteins all around) in the spring 'cause right now, the weather here sucks and I really couldn't enjoy these neat new things.

Best to all - Mark

Last edited by Mark's M; 01-19-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Great Review... Look forward to Hearing about how it is in the future with dry road conditions.

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

nice review... would be nice to see Dinan do something similar for the X5 50i

I did not get the X5M for a number of reasons (in addition to the significantly higher price tag...)

but 2grand for another boost in hp/torque would be interesting..

anyone know if Dinan has plans for the 50i?
      01-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod View Post
nice review... would be nice to see Dinan do something similar for the X5 50i

I did not get the X5M for a number of reasons (in addition to the significantly higher price tag...)

but 2grand for another boost in hp/torque would be interesting..

anyone know if Dinan has plans for the 50i?
Pretty sure the 50i package has been available for a while. It was the X5 xDrive35i that had been left out. 50i stage 1 is MEAN. http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D900-4...X5.aspx#page=1

The Dinan Performance Engine Software safely increases turbo-boost pressure from the stock 9.8 to 14.0 psi, along with properly retuned fuel mixtures, ignition timing and full map rescaling. In fact, over 2000 lines of code have been addressed, producing substantial increases in power output while maintaining the civility and reliability expected of a Dinan performance product. The results of Dinan’s tuning are nothing short of breathtaking, with the added boost and related re-calibration producing maximum output of 495 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 573 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm.

I got the email from Dinan because I had expressed interest in an X5 xDrive35i upgrade, so I was happy to find this review. Thanks for posting. Not sure if I'll do it, or just list the 35i for sale and upgrade to a 50i and get the Dinan upgrade for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

I'm going to keep my 35i (too many mods already). Not sure I will be jumping on the Dinan Bandwagon, as I'm not looking to remove my custom modifications. I will wait till Cobb or another Flash Tuner releases a handheld solution...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Mark

did you ever get the dinan stage 2 tune in your 35i? Any info, thoughts or pics?
      09-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
My2013x5
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW x5 xDRIVE35I

Need Help for Dinan Tune for my 2013 x5 xDRIVE35i with M Sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Hello all, new to this forum but been around on another for a few years. Thought I'd share my quick impression of the new N55 tune for the X5 35i which I've been waiting patiently for since buying a 35i M Sport a couple months back - which I love. Power and handling are great for what this vehicle is and I drive it like snot quite a bit, still achieving excellent gas mileage overall. But more power isn't a bad thing so I'm thinking this tune will be a no-brainer. My dealer called me on Monday after receiving the new tune from Dinan. They'd already installed it in a demo and were awaiting my test drive. I dropped out today as it started to snow unfortunately but...nothing ventured, nothing gained and the roads were only wet by this point.

Initial impressions - seat of the pants with no instruments - is that the new tune with its stated 55 hp/100 ft/lbs torque gains is absolutely noticeable, particularly in DS (Sport) mode. In regular D mode and under moderate to hard acceleration the truck feels much lighter and sprints to speed with much less effort. Otherwise the tune is seamless and you wouldn't know it's there. I'm a Dinan fan and would expect nothing less.

DS mode under hard acceleration is where you'll really appreciate the difference. There's no lag, the increased power/torque is immediately noticeable, the shifts are crisp and the power/pull remains on tap much longer. This was really evident at speed (80-100 km/h) where a forced downshift gives you a much better and prolonged "push" into your backrest. I can equate this new found power to driving an X3 35i which by nature and weight, is about a second quicker to 60 mph than a stock X5 35i. The tuned X5 "feels" as quick and nible as a stock X3 and I'll be curious to see some official 0-60 times to prove the point.

So I got back into my own X5 for the drive home and it was just not the same anymore. On the wet roads my Traction Control remained inactive under hard acceleration (with big, fat Scorpion Ice/Snows). The TC on the tuned X5 (also on a winter tire package) was continually interfering on the same roads. Again, not the best environment to test the new tune but it'll only get better when the roads are dry here. Amazing what a couple thousand dollars can do!! Worth it - yup. And with a great BMW/Dinan dealer combo like mine, absolutely no worries!!

So I'm going to pop for this and a proper suspension makeover (H&R 1.2" + Bilsteins all around) in the spring 'cause right now, the weather here sucks and I really couldn't enjoy these neat new things.

Best to all - Mark

Hello Mark,
May i ask for some advise about your DINAN Performance tuning for your x5...
My name is Son and am from Ottawa... I have a 2013 x5 xDRIVE35i with the M Sport Package... I have been thinking of getting a bit more hp and have been trying to search online and saw your post... Do i order directly from DINAN and have some shop here in Ottawa installed the kit for me...or should i bring it to the dealer and have them installed...
Please kindly email me at sonimages@gmail.com for instruction...

Thank you so much Mark
ps. can i call you to ask a few question...
Sonny
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

You do realize this post is from 2012 right?
      09-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2013x5 View Post
Hello Mark,
May i ask for some advise about your DINAN Performance tuning for your x5...
My name is Son and am from Ottawa... I have a 2013 x5 xDRIVE35i with the M Sport Package... I have been thinking of getting a bit more hp and have been trying to search online and saw your post... Do i order directly from DINAN and have some shop here in Ottawa installed the kit for me...or should i bring it to the dealer and have them installed...
Please kindly email me at sonimages@gmail.com for instruction...

Thank you so much Mark
ps. can i call you to ask a few question...
Sonny
My suggestion for you with a 2013 that is almost out of the factory warranty is to not get a Dinan because of the cost. There are less costly tunes that will give you more power than the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
My2013x5
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW x5 xDRIVE35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
My suggestion for you with a 2013 that is almost out of the factory warranty is to not get a Dinan because of the cost. There are less costly tunes that will give you more power than the Dinan.
Sounds great... wow... that would be great that if i can get the performance tune with more power than the one offered by Dinan... please send me a link so i can contact them...
Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

What is the cost for a DINAN stage 1?

I agree with OMGBOOST, and the route I went I'm sure is much cheaper then a DINAN & faster.. I have a N55 3.5i and went with a

BurgerTuning Stage1 juice box
BurgerTuning intake(I was bored)
SprintBooster throttle control(AMAZING)
Total cost around $700

To be honest I turned off the SprintBooster and was shocked how shitty life would be without it,IMO a stage1 or any time wouldn't be complete without it.. Not trying to rain on your parade, just sharing my setup and reminding you guys about this old product SPRINTBOOSTER. It works 100% & won't be money wasted

At this moment BurgerTuning doesn't offer a Stage2 tune for the N55, confirmed from sales department
      05-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
What is the cost for a DINAN stage 1?

I agree with OMGBOOST, and the route I went I'm sure is much cheaper then a DINAN & faster.. I have a N55 3.5i and went with a

BurgerTuning Stage1 juice box
BurgerTuning intake(I was bored)
SprintBooster throttle control(AMAZING)
Total cost around $700

To be honest I turned off the SprintBooster and was shocked how shitty life would be without it,IMO a stage1 or any time wouldn't be complete without it.. Not trying to rain on your parade, just sharing my setup and reminding you guys about this old product SPRINTBOOSTER. It works 100% & won't be money wasted

At this moment BurgerTuning doesn't offer a Stage2 tune for the N55, confirmed from sales department
At the time when the E70 was new, the Dinan tune costs around $2,000. Now it is only $1,338.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
At the time when the E70 was new, the Dinan tune costs around $2,000. Now it is only $1,338.
A good deal compared to their N63 tune, more than twice the cost at $3089
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

IMO that's a hell of a lot of money for something that's Not a game changer

On the BMS site they are claiming better Dyno results... @ $379 I think it's worth a try, you can always sell it on the forums. Installation is a breeze with only using 2 ports.
Attached Images

05-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
IMO that's a hell of a lot of money for something that's Not a game changer

On the BMS site they are claiming better Dyno results... @ $379 I think it's worth a try, you can always sell it on the forums. Installation is a breeze with only using 2 ports.
Yes, that's why I keep telling people if you bought the car new and want to keep your warranty, buy the Dinan. You are pretty much paying to keep the factory warranty. Once out of warranty, you're just loaded and my pockets are willing to carry that money for you.
Appreciate 0