XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #23
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
The job is not even out yet and my bosses last day is Aug 8th.

I am pretty confident about letting them know what I have done while employed with them the last 8 years. I am getting some good advice from people on here and from people I work with that have been part of the hiring process for other positions.

I have already been asked what I think needs to be approved on. I know I can't come in and try to change to much so I will have to take on a small project and a big one at first.

I am helping coordinate a big training project right now too.

Here's the problem. It is July 11th today, leaving 28 days till that position is vacant.

So either upper management above him is incompetent because they haven't started looking yet
OR
They have started looking, and you just don't know it. Which doesn't spell very good news for you.

Can you talk to anyone and express interest? It is getting late in the game if there is only 28 days left.
Appreciate 1
bimmette6453.50
      07-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
The job is not even out yet and my bosses last day is Aug 8th.

I am pretty confident about letting them know what I have done while employed with them the last 8 years. I am getting some good advice from people on here and from people I work with that have been part of the hiring process for other positions.

I have already been asked what I think needs to be approved on. I know I can't come in and try to change to much so I will have to take on a small project and a big one at first.

I am helping coordinate a big training project right now too.

Here's the problem. It is July 11th today, leaving 28 days till that position is vacant.

So either upper management above him is incompetent because they haven't started looking yet
OR
They have started looking, and you just don't know it. Which doesn't spell very good news for you.

Can you talk to anyone and express interest? It is getting late in the game if there is only 28 days left.
Yeah, I hate to say it, but usually if upper management wants you in the position, they would have pulled you aside by now to have a little casual chat with you. Just because you have the experience and seniority doesn't mean the job is yours if they don't feel you are management material.
Appreciate 1
eluded3038.00
      07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Yeah, I hate to say it, but usually if upper management wants you in the position, they would have pulled you aside by now to have a little casual chat with you. Just because you have the experience and seniority doesn't mean the job is yours if they don't feel you are management material.
If you were part of the succession plan the ball would already be rolling. One month when the person leaving is at best half engaged mentally is not a lot of time to transition everything.

TBH assuming they go outside to fill the position you should look polish up your resume and look elsewhere. Unless you're just happy with your current position, the writing will be on the wall in big bold font that there's not opportunity for you to move up where you currently are.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #26
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

This is a government job so everything is last minute. They have to post the job and go through the hole hiring process. My boss has been training me since day one of me getting hired 8 years ago. People are afraid to say anything that can come back and bite them. If they say anything about me getting the job before it happens and someone finds out it would cause problems and possibly cost them their job.

If this was not a government job I would be concerned just like you all are saying and I have seen this happen over and over again when a position comes open. I am thinking I will start to do his job full time once he leaves and I will go to the interview while I am doing his job already.

I really hope what you all are saying is not true. I am still holding out hope that this will work out in my favor. I have been promoting my self like crazy to the people that should have a say on who will get the job.

My boss only gave them a little over a month notice and this place cant even figure out how to tie their own shoes in a month.

I have seen people filling in positions for months before they can figure out the hiring process.

I am concerned for sure but not in the way you all are saying.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #27
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Show you're a self-made man .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #28
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OR

Incompetent is being nice
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Incompetent is being nice
Didn't realize it was government job. In that case, I agree - incompetent is being way too nice.

Governments need to get smaller, not larger, and less bureaucratic red tape crap. Run it like a for profit and streamline it - forget all the PC crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #30
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't realize it was government job. In that case, I agree - incompetent is being way too nice.

Governments need to get smaller, not larger, and less bureaucratic red tape crap. Run it like a for profit and streamline it - forget all the PC crap.
Yeah

I think what will happen is my boss will retire and I will be doing his job full time while I am getting interview for the position.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #31
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

As others have pointed out your outgoing boss is really your best resource. Assuming you have a decent relationship he should be able to help you prep or steer the decision in your favor.

Only caveat would be if he's leaving and it gets ugly you might be (perhaps unfairly) viewed as "his boy" and disadvantaged from that perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #32
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

OR

Or they know he is doing the job, and will eliminate the position to save money, without giving him any pay increase. Seen it many times in my state offices.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #33
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Or they know he is doing the job, and will eliminate the position to save money, without giving him any pay increase. Seen it many times in my state offices.
LOL okay now we are really getting of track here

Every department in the city has a position like the one I am going for. So this is not even possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #34
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just got confirmation that the position will be out by the end of this week.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #35
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I just got confirmation that the position will be out by the end of this week.
Good - keep us in the loop.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #36
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Sounds like you are in a very good position for the job. Unless you think they want to hire from the outside (which management does often, and also hides well, seen it happen), you're probably in the best position as anyone to fulfill the job.

The only thing that would lose it for you is to get all lovey-dovey in the interview and start talking about you and your family and all the emotional stuff. Keep it objective. Answer their questions. Know what they're asking you, and keep it within the box. Show them you're the man and you know your stuff. Keep the family out of it, they could probably care less because everyone and their mom has a story to tell.

I've conducted many, many interviews, and nobody wants to hear an emotional story when you're trying to illicit hard, data driven, objective knowledge and skills in an hour or so. Just show them you're the best person for the job. Make them think twice about hiring from the outside if they're considering it. Show them you know stuff that nobody else from the outside would know. Show them you know the company processes (the right way) in and out. But pretty much, it sounds like you're next in line for it anyway. Hopefully the interview is just a formality, so be yourself.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #37
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I can't even believe the family stuff was being considered. Everyone needs to earn a living, everyone would benefit from a promotion/pay increase, and most have a family to support. What is the purpose of bringing any of that up? If I interview someone and they bring something like that up, I would immediately discount them as a viable candidate, thinking they need to rely on my emotions because they are not well-suited or qualified to earn the position based on merit alone.
Appreciate 1
CANGRKE70813.50
      07-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #38
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I can't even believe the family stuff was being considered. Everyone needs to earn a living, everyone would benefit from a promotion/pay increase, and most have a family to support. What is the purpose of bringing any of that up? If I interview someone and they bring something like that up, I would immediately discount them as a viable candidate, thinking they need to rely on my emotions because they are not well-suited or qualified to earn the position based on merit alone.
I asked because I know some of these people on a person basics. I was just going to mention it as being something positive for me and my family. Every one has said that's a bad idea so I will not say anything about it.

But thanks for your advice.......well more of a statement
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #39
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
I asked because I know some of these people on a person basics. I was just going to mention it as being something positive for me and my family. Every one has said that's a bad idea so I will not say anything about it.

But thanks for your advice.......well more of a statement
Gotcha. Didn't mean to come off as a jerk, but it would be a huge red flag from my perspective in an interview. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #40
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Gotcha. Didn't mean to come off as a jerk, but it would be a huge red flag from my perspective in an interview. Good luck, and keep us posted.
No worries and I appreciate your advice.

I am going to work with someone who has lots of experience in HR and doing interviews to make sure I will do well in mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #41
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Another advice. Relax and chill and do what you have been doing the best. Not sure how stress you are atm (it depends how bad you want the promotion), but I have seen many cases where one fails badly when the result is not what they expected. It is an unpredictable world we live in. Keep up the good work though!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #42
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Be confident and collected. Show through preperation how important this is to you. Ask someone for a mock interview. Make sure they know what it is you can bring to the table and how beneficial you would be to them. Typically in every question they are looking for an answer that suggests you have a desired trait or skill. Disect the questions and try to understand the reasoning behind it and try to demonstrate as much professionalism as possible. Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #43
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
Be confident and collected. Show through preperation how important this is to you. Ask someone for a mock interview. Make sure they know what it is you can bring to the table and how beneficial you would be to them. Typically in every question they are looking for an answer that suggests you have a desired trait or skill. Disect the questions and try to understand the reasoning behind it and try to demonstrate as much professionalism as possible. Hope this helps
Thanks!

I am going to practice my interview with someone that has been doing interviews for years and has been part of HR. She should have some good tips. And your right about the questions. If you don't answer the right way they mark that against you.

Still no job listing yet. I knew they would drag there feet like they do with everything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #44
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
Thanks!

I am going to practice my interview with someone that has been doing interviews for years and has been part of HR. She should have some good tips. And your right about the questions. If you don't answer the right way they mark that against you.

Still no job listing yet. I knew they would drag there feet like they do with everything else.
You and I have already discussed this but I need to reiterate this. In case there is a written/typed portion to the interview process, please brush up on your spelling asap.

ie. *you're and their
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00