XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-19-2023, 11:22 AM   #1
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Exclamation Parking brake failed - I messed up

I wanted to replace my rear rotors and pads on my X6 E71 2008.
So couple of days ago I removed wheels and calipers on both sides but did not have the right breaker bar to remove the caliper bracket. I still went ahead and tried to see if I could easily release the left rear rotor. I started the car and released the parking brake and sure enough the rotor was now loose.
Being Sunday yesterday I just cleaned the wheels and today I went to a store and got the breaker bar I needed.
I removed both caliper brackets, the left rotor which was already loose, but the right rotor would not move. I gave it a couple of shocks and bangs but it was not moving. So I thought maybe the car's parking brake needed releasing again for some reason and I went inside to do that. Silly me, the left rotor was not in place and as I used the parking brake button, I heard a loud hissing noise and then an error came up on the screen - "Parking Brake Failed".
Well done I thought... stupidity!
I took some photos to show you... maybe someone can tell me how to get things back in one piece.
Please tell me I have not damaged anything.

Last edited by conandrum; 06-19-2023 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #2
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW

Yes, I tried placing the rotor back on, but it seems like the brake has expanded a bit and the rotor will not go over.
Also the silver colored screw in the upper middle center section seems to be slightly off to the right.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 06:06 AM   #3
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Should I try releasing the parking brake again? I saw on YouTube that there is an emergency parking brake release in the trunk which you pull with a red plastic tool and then you get in the driver's seat and press the hand brake button for 5 seconds a couple of times while stepping down on the brake pedal. This supposedly relaxes the parking brake in case it is stuck. What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:58 PM   #4
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I found the following videos interesting and I will try them tomorrow:
BMW Parking Brake Failed: Fixed Easily - Try FIRST!!!! (resetting the brake system using fuses)

BMW Parking brake Failed- How to manually release a stuck parking brake (releasing the brake using manual release mechanism)

I already tried method #2 this afternoon and the wire could be easily pulled out by about 8-10 cm. I did not think to pull any harder.
So tomorrow I will first try the fuses and if that does not work, I will try yanking the wire harder until I hear that it actually unlocked something.

Argento, (a nice guy who is a member here), also advised me to "...clamp the ebrake pads with a c-clamp. The intent to prevent them from further expanding, but a little compression force to simulate being against the rotor. ".
Loads to do tomorrow.

Last edited by conandrum; 06-20-2023 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:30 PM   #5
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

pads have come out of their tracks?

It is 1am here in Cyprus, but I went to take some extra photos.
Hope this shows a bit better whether the pads have come out of their tracks.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #6
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Minor success

Today I started by clamping the drum pads with 2 smaller clamps.
Each clamp was attached to the axle on one side and to each of the shoes on the other side. Did not squeeze too much - just enough to keep them in place.
I then tried the 5 second routine in the cockpit, but this time I also tried pulling up the button for 5s also. Nothing happened.
I then tried the manual release in the trunk. This time I yanked it past the 10cm mark until I encountered resistance and something gave. I heard the mechanical parts loosening up and the brake released. I will post some photos later. I could now place the rotor back on and I did.
Also the right rear rotor was loose now and I was able to release that with a big hammer, but kept it on.
I tried the 5sec trick again, but this time I also turned the engine completely ON. Nothing changed.
I tried then to remove the 5A fuse #129 from the trunk (careful because I had to manually unlock my car with the key after this). This did not change anything after I placed it back.
Next step I will try removing all parking related fuses and leave the car for a day like this. It worked for resetting my car door leds last winter.

Any further ideas welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 01:54 PM   #7
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Day #3 update on manual brake release

Here are some photos of left and right side parking brakes after manual release.
Looks like the left side went back into normal position. Can you see anything wrong with it?

LEFT SIDE BRAKE SYSTEM:
image#1

BOTTOM
image #2

LEFT
image #3

RIGHT
image #4

RIGHT SIDE BRAKE SYSTEM

image #5

BOTTOM
image #6

LEFT
image #7

RIGHT
image #8

FINALLY: Argento and another helpful member he knows called Troy have also suggested today : "...you should use ISTA to reset…and make sure the brake shoe is on properly…"

I have not modified anything, did not touch the screws, I just did a manual release from the trunk and it went back into position. Don't you think the brake shoes on the left side are on properly?

UPDATE: I read online that removing fuse #129 from the trunk should be left removed for at least five minutes. I will try that tomorrow as well as removing #94 and possibly also #10 if needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by conandrum; 02-04-2024 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #8
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Today I prepped the rear calipers and primed them. Tomorrow I will paint them. So I think it will be the day after tomorrow when I will try playing with the fuses, after I put everything back together.
I also have a mechanic ready to come round with his computer soon, in case the fuses do not work.
I nothing works, I am looking a 300 Euro second hand replacement for the parking brake actuator module, or 1000 Euro for a new one. Time will tell.
I will update this thread then.
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      06-25-2023, 04:07 PM   #9
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Today I placed the rotors and calipers back on the car. I removed fuses #129 & #94 for 1 hour and then placed them back. Tried the 5 second procedure with the parking brake button numerous times but the error is not going away.
Tomorrow the mechanic is coming round with his computer and we will try to reset the parking brake errors. God willing nothing is broken and everything will go back to normal without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:01 AM   #10
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up SUCCESS!!!

The mechanic couldn't make it yesterday, so he came this morning. I was prepared for the worst and prayed to God for the best. So he hooked up his computer and cleared the errors and activated the parking brake. No unusual sounds were heard. Activate and deactivate begun to function normally.

In summary, my parking brake did not have any problems in its 140,000km life. I made the mistake of operating it with the rotor/disc removed from the hub. The brake extended itself beyond its normal travel and stopped... generating a "parking brake failed" error. In order to put the rotor back on, I had to manually release the parking brake. In order to get the brake working again, we had to connect to a computer and clear all errors. The brake probably went through an initialization procedure and joined its internal components back together again. It looks like the over extending of the brake pads did not result in damage of motors/gears/electrical components - (safety mechanism is probably in place).

Thank God everything worked out just fine! What a week!

Last edited by conandrum; 07-02-2023 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      07-08-2023, 12:25 PM   #11
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

Next time, leave this to seasoned pros. They warranty their work and they usually get it RIGHT the first time...
      07-08-2023, 12:54 PM   #12
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er_vert View Post
Next time, leave this to seasoned pros. They warranty their work and they usually get it RIGHT the first time...
Where’s the fun in that?