XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
minneasnowtan
Rep
Drives: x6m

Lux Angel Eyes Review

For anyone looking into changing out your running lights, you can't go wrong with Lux!

Here is a little story about the success I've had with the company.
About 14 months ago I bought the 160 model for my x6m. 2 weeks ago the driver side light went out. I called Lux and they told me that there was a 1 year warranty on the bulbs. But because I was so close to that mark they would still honor it (14months vs 12months).

Not only did they send me two brand new bulbs, they also sent me the newer 180 model.

I've been very satisfied with the prompt customer service I've received and felt like Lux needed a shout out with the overall great experience.
Appreciate 2
mirob2944.50
      11-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for posting this and hope you enjoy the new lights!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
epreza50
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 x35i

do you have any images?
Appreciate 1
m5james429.00
      11-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Considering their price point, I'm sure you could get 2-3 replacement sets and they're still making a profit. Going above and beyond their warranty a few months just helps them with future sales.

I bought these back in August, WAY brighter than stock, no errors, etc etc and have them in my E70 X5M as well as the GF's E61 535xiT. I accidentally bought two full sets, so on the chance these go out, I've got an extra set for each car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32W-H8-H9-H...item3acf806b14

Unfortunately our angel eye rings design sucks, which can even be seen in Lux's photo's, to where the inner is always going to be brighter than the outer...unless you stand in the perfect spot and even then you'll still see it - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=3 The only way around this is baking them open and installing LED/CCFL rings.

Last edited by m5james; 11-28-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Considering their price point, I'm sure you could get 2-3 replacement sets and they're still making a profit. Going above and beyond their warranty a few months just helps them with future sales.

I bought these back in August, WAY brighter than stock, no errors, etc etc and have them in my E70 X5M as well as the GF's E61 535xiT. I accidentally bought two full sets, so on the chance these go out, I've got an extra set for each car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32W-H8-H9-H...item3acf806b14

Unfortunately our angel eye rings design sucks, which can even be seen in Lux's photo's, to where the inner is always going to be brighter than the outer...unless you stand in the perfect spot and even then you'll still see it - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=3 The only way around this is baking them open and installing LED/CCFL rings.
These bulbs you linked here will be close to 5x dimmer then the LUX H8 angel eyes we offer. They will be a better color than stock but there is no way that type of a bulb can produce even ad much light as the stock halogen bulb

We saw a picture of a similar bulb used before and you cant even tell the angel eyes were on in the daytime.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your own listings say "1200 lumens, 2x brighter than stock" then another says "1800 lumens, 2x brighter than stock"...so a claimed 600 lumens difference, still 2x brighter...which one is it? I'll happily go back outside and not only prove they can be seen in daylight, I'll show they can even be seen with the headlights on.

Last night I was sitting in my car on break and noticed my angel eyes were still on via the reflection on the car about 30' away from me even though the engine was off...opened the door and they finally shut off. Literally just today I saw their reflection on a bumper in front of me, wondered why headlights were on as well (headlights shouldn't be on in the day time) and realized the HID I was seeing was the car in the lane next to me...make no mistake though, I could see my angel eyes reflection clearly. I've tried other LED bulbs and some the last set I tried admittedly sucked...waste of $20.
Point being...these ones are plenty bright and per your response, "similar bulbs" means it's not the same as these ones I've listed here.

In the meantime, here's some random pic of the same LED's in the GF's 535xiT that I took for her when I'd installed them.

Bottom line...are your bulbs 33% brighter because they're 33x more expensive.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 11-29-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Top picture is angel eyes only, bottom two pics are with headlights on at different angles. It's just past 4pm here in Seattle, if I could make the sun come out to prove they're bright in the daytime...who am I kidding, I'd be out enjoying the sun and not on the forums lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneasnowtan View Post
For anyone looking into changing out your running lights, you can't go wrong with Lux!

Here is a little story about the success I've had with the company.
About 14 months ago I bought the 160 model for my x6m. 2 weeks ago the driver side light went out. I called Lux and they told me that there was a 1 year warranty on the bulbs. But because I was so close to that mark they would still honor it (14months vs 12months).

Not only did they send me two brand new bulbs, they also sent me the newer 180 model.

I've been very satisfied with the prompt customer service I've received and felt like Lux needed a shout out with the overall great experience.
I've had the same experience with lux. Top notch customer service.

On a side note...this is why we can't have nice things.

Quote:
Bottom line...are your bulbs 33% brighter because they're 33x more expensive.
No wonder virtually no aftermarket exists for this platform. Every time someone brings a product to the market, they are chased away with pitchforks. It was the same with RK and his intakes.

...and yes, the LUX 180s are infinitely brighter than the pictures you have posted of the eBay bulbs for your X. Your pictures were clearly taken during overcast skies, can't even take an overcast picture of the 160/180s due to overexposure.

If you're content with your $6 eBay bulbs, so be it. Don't blast LUX on here for going above and beyond when they didn't have to...it makes no sense.

Last edited by mirob; 11-30-2017 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Why can't we have nice things? Because I'm not willing to get raked over the coals with the ///M tax and/or overpay for something simple as an LED bulb?

There's hardly any aftermarket for this platform because we're the bastard child of the ///M community in that it was made for only like 3 years after they worked out some kinks from the chronically problematic N63 and before updating to the S63TU. Our engine is few and far between, plain and simple...there are plenty of owners who want to mod theirs, but the MARKET isn't there, NOT because they're afraid to come to the board and get there feelers hurt. R @ RK deserved a pitch fork because he screwed over a fellow board member here by making hollow promises, not delivering and overall taking advantage of someones courtesy...which he then used to profit from. I've worked in aviation since 1995, I've taken college classes to lay, vacuum seal, etc carbon fiber...there's NOTHING about his intakes that make them worth $1300+. Pricing aside, if you like dealing/defending people like that in the BMW community or demeanor in general, more power to you. I'm sure if you dropped that much money on his intakes though, he'd be super nice to you as well.

As I said, it's Seattle. I had to take multiple pics, move around, refocus, etc and I've still got plenty of overexposure in mine. I've had these bulbs in since near the end of summer (read: still sunny out) and they're plenty bright. Compare my pics and then click on the links in Lux's signature (here, I'll make it easy for you - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hp?p=21127883)...there's plenty of pics of different vehicles, different angles, differing background lighting, etc etc. There's only so much that can be done for a poor BMW design. They're not infinitely brighter and surely not worth 33x more for MAYBE being slightly brighter based on the perfect picture angle, exposure, etc.

Is LUX going out of business because of my few posts on one thread? Last I checked, these forums we're a place of discussion. Competition is motivation for improvement and price adjustments...all things that benefit the customer. I'm free to "blast" anyone I chose so long as I'm not being vulgar...them being a vendor doesn't make them immune from opposing opinions! It's easy to go above and beyond to make yourself look good when there's that kind of markup, and you are free to disagree with me because your financially vested in your defense of them. You should hear what I have to say about Comcast, but it sounds like you're against opinions on cheaper competition that could provide equal or better service for far less...that makes no sense to me.

Last edited by m5james; 12-01-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why can't we have nice things? Because I'm not willing to get raked over the coals with the ///M tax and/or overpay for something simple as an LED bulb?

There's hardly any aftermarket for this platform because we're the bastard child of the ///M community in that it was made for only like 3 years after they worked out some kinks from the chronically problematic N63 and before updating to the S63TU. Our engine is few and far between, plain and simple...there are plenty of owners who want to mod theirs, but the MARKET isn't there, NOT because they're afraid to come to the board and get there feelers hurt. Raza @ RK deserved a pitch fork because he screwed over a fellow board member here by making hollow promises, not delivering and overall taking advantage of someones courtesy...which he then used to profit from. I've worked in aviation since 1995, I've taken college classes to lay, vacuum seal, etc carbon fiber...there's NOTHING about his intakes that make them worth $1300+. Pricing aside, if you like dealing/defending people like that in the BMW community or demeanor in general, more power to you. I'm sure if you dropped that much money on his intakes though, he'd be super nice to you as well.
If this is your first ///M, you'll be mad for a long time. The M-tax is nothing new, and it's not limited to this platform. I know you frequent the F10 forums, so I know you know how much the MSR intake is...and they are NOT the only ones making intakes for that platform, and they still sell plenty of them.

Yes, these ARE few and far between, so shouldn't we be thankful and give credit to some of these vendors for taking the plunge to bring something to the market not knowing it will sell? I doubt Raza got rich off these.

You need to let this Raza thing go, you act like you held both of their hands through this whole ordeal. You read the same forum posts as me, picked a side, and ran with it. You don't know the facts, I don't know the facts. Let it die. Matter of fact, the guy involved was less upset than you. Just move on.

You were fortunate to get your hands on a custom intake for a great price, more power to you. Why are you mad? The rest of us are stuck with what's out there for sale, short of making one ourselves. I don't see MSR or BMS stepping up, to name a few. So if the ONLY intake on the market is $1300, then so be it. He's the only one providing the product so he get's to set the price. I made peace with my purchase.

Quote:
As I said, it's Seattle. I had to take multiple pics, move around, refocus, etc and I've still got plenty of overexposure in mine. I've had these bulbs in since near the end of summer (read: still sunny out) and they're plenty bright. Compare my pics and then click on the links in Lux's signature (here, I'll make it easy for you - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hp?p=21127883)...there's plenty of pics of different vehicles, different angles, differing background lighting, etc etc. There's only so much that can be done for a poor BMW design. They're not infinitely brighter and surely not worth 33x more for MAYBE being slightly brighter based on the perfect picture angle, exposure, etc.
We'll agree to disagree here. I never had the exact product you have and you don't have the product I have. I've had other eBay bulbs and they were trash. I've also had other, respected, $200 bulbs and they were thrash. Matter of fact, I would go as far as to say that the LUX 160s looked better than the 180s. My opinion is based on what I had, not on online pictures. We're all just wasting our money short of retrofitting, and we know it.

Quote:
Is LUX going out of business because of my few posts on one thread? Last I checked, these forums we're a place of discussion. Competition is motivation for improvement and price adjustments...all things that benefit the customer. I'm free to "blast" anyone I chose so long as I'm not being vulgar...them being a vendor doesn't make them immune from opposing opinions! It's easy to go above and beyond to make yourself look good when there's that kind of markup, and you are free to disagree with me because your financially vested in your defense of them. You should hear what I have to say about Comcast, but it sounds like you're against opinions on cheaper competition that could provide equal or better service for far less...that makes no sense to me.
Let me ask you this. Are you on eBay wheels? Why? I thought you're all about cheaper competition that provides equal or better service for far less? Didn't think so.

(...and before you say you got a good deal on used wheels...I know. I talked to the guy a few years ago when he was selling his truck but he wouldn't let them go separately. eBay wheels would have been cheaper, still.)

Trust me, I'm all about saving a buck. Give me the $400 eBay splitter over the $2000 popular one all day, every day...and this has nothing to do with ability to afford.

BUT, sometimes there just isn't another option...and sometimes, the cheaper product is not the better product.

This is a good debate, I like this. Have a good one, man!

Last edited by mirob; 12-01-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is my 4th ///M (my first being an E34 ///M5, hence my screen name across all messageboards) so the ///M tax is nothing new to me...doesn't mean I accept it like others do though. I'll still try to treat it like any other car and shop for deals. MSR himself has been helpful to me in other ways over PM since they don't make S63 stuff. As for people who buy his intakes, that's their choice...at the end of the day allmotor2000 has proven they're an unnecessary expense seeing as I believe he's still got the fastest M5 to record, on stock intakes no less.

R would make more money if he didn't try to make so much on each one and sold them for a more reasonable price...Costco and WalMart type mentality vs what he's doing now.

I know intimate details after having spoken with the person who was screwed over in that whole transaction via talking through WhatsApp/GroupMe, so dare I say it that I know more than most. While he may not say as much to R as I do, at the time he was still trying to work out things to get back what he was promised, which I'm sure involved some lip biting. R is still R, so it's my choice to let it go...people like him don't get let off easily because whatever he's done to one, will likely get done to others because he hopes what you're telling me to do...forget about it like it never happened.

I realize how fortunate I am to have gotten my intake, but I've also talked to the guy who made them originally in an effort to have them recreated for others (something R cried to the admins about since I'm not a vendor, which in turn got me placed on ban for like a month), but ultimately my thread was deleted. Between talking to the guy who welded them up and my own personal experience with working with carbon fiber, my gripe is what he charges for them...which if I got my way (unlikely), would be more beneficial for those wanting it seeing that they'd be more reasonably priced. I have no desire to become a vendor though, I just wanted to help others get a reasonably priced intake and was shut down by someone who bought their way into leverage.

Yes, we can agree to disagree. I've also had other types of bulbs, LED's, CCFL's, etc on other vehicles...priced low and high...although everyone wont let the mantra die, I've stopped believing that you get what you pay for. Case in point...BMW's as a whole vs American and Japanese cars I've owned in the past. But like most do, we justify and defend our poor financial choices because we're emotionally invested as well.

Ebay doesn't make wheels, but if you're asking if I've run reps, then yes. I can go on about that as well using 6 years of back to back Bimmerfest drives as my experience, driving from Seattle to Hollywood to Vegas and back to Seattle. I ran rep M6 20's on my white E53 X5, never a single issue in 2 years. I ran iForged 20's on my blue E53 X5, bent every single year for 2 years. I run ADV1 22's on my Harley F150, three have bent within a year and this is a truck I hardly ever drive. I run the mostly unknown brand of AC Forged 22's on my E70 X5M, never a single issue in 2 years. Point being is that the wheels I've run over the years have had varying levels of quality/durability, WILDLY different price ranges and as mentioned above giving me just more proof that price doesn't provide a direct correlation to quality at all.

Albeit low 6 figures, I still make 6 figures...as a loathly mechanic. I'm cheaper now than when I made 1/3 this. My GF HATES that I'm so thrifty, but that's why I handle the money with the almost 800 beacon while she...doesn't lol

In the world of outsourcing and almost everything coming from China, someone who charges more, puts it into a fancier box and has the better sales speech doesn't mean it's a better product. I'm having flashbacks of the Top Gear episode where they jokingly put BMW and Audi badges on random things and charged ridiculous prices lol. I could go on for DAYS about prior experiences of seeing overpriced products, seeing part numbers and generic Google searches leading me to true costs. Everyone loves to make the comment "cheap Chinese shit" yet many glaze over that most people are just resellers and repackagers of said cheap Chinese shit...but charging 3, 4, 33 times as much as they paid for it, giving a "warranty" and then trying to make themselves look like the hero when they go a few months beyond the warranty lol.

I love debate as well We're still good, bro

Last edited by m5james; 12-01-2017 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #12
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is my 4th ///M (my first being an E34 ///M5, hence my screen name across all messageboards) so the ///M tax is nothing new to me...doesn't mean I accept it like others do though. I'll still try to treat it like any other car and shop for deals. MSR himself has been helpful to me in other ways over PM since they don't make S63 stuff. As for people who buy his intakes, that's their choice...at the end of the day allmotor2000 has proven they're an unnecessary expense seeing as I believe he's still got the fastest M5 to record, on stock intakes no less.
That's a fact. If these make power, I haven't noticed it. Sure do sound nice as hell though.

Quote:
R would make more money if he didn't try to make so much on each one and sold them for a more reasonable price...Costco and WalMart type mentality vs what he's doing now.

I realize how fortunate I am to have gotten my intake, but I've also talked to the guy who made them originally in an effort to have them recreated for others (something R cried to the admins about since I'm not a vendor, which in turn got me placed on ban for like a month), but ultimately my thread was deleted. Between talking to the guy who welded them up and my own personal experience with working with carbon fiber, my gripe is what he charges for them...which if I got my way (unlikely), would be more beneficial for those wanting it seeing that they'd be more reasonably priced. I have no desire to become a vendor though, I just wanted to help others get a reasonably priced intake and was shut down by someone who bought their way into leverage.
Yeah, a lot of us were holding out for this to happen but I remember it being nipped in the bud REAL QUICK. I also think R should have considered making the intakes from a different material to keep the price point/cost down but we all know how that went...

Quote:
Yessir!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:
That's a fact. If these make power, I haven't noticed it. Sure do sound nice as hell though.

Quote:

Yeah, a lot of us were holding out for this to happen but I remember it being nipped in the bud REAL QUICK. I also think R should have considered making the intakes from a different material to keep the price point/cost down but we all know how that went...

Quote:
Yessir!
I just saw his intakes on ECS Tuning for $2,250! That's insane
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
I just saw his intakes on ECS Tuning for $2,250! That's insane
Yeah, it's nuts but you can cut that almost in half if you contact him directly via PM on here.
Appreciate 0