XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
BlackX5
Private
Rep
Drives: TL TypeS

50i Turbo and coolant tank replacement

Over the past 2 years at looking at X5's, I have seen several buybacks of the 2011-2012. And carfax shows Coolant problems Is there any preventative maintenance a person can do to keep from having this problem?
I even responded to an ad 2 weeks ago where the guy posted his 50i for sale and so I emailed him and asked for a picture from the rear.. and the picture he sent was while he was sitting at a dealer looking at another vehicle. His X5 had 80k miles and I asked about the coolant and turbo issue, and he said "oh I've already replaced that around 65k miles".. haha And I doubt it will show up on the carfax , although I did not get the carfax for that one..

So, any preventative maintenance I can do to keep from replacing the turbo's -or- should I budget that into the sale price?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
BlackX5
Private
Rep

1 more thing.. About a year ago I look at 2 X5's at a reseller in Dallas. And the lady let it slip, and said "you don't want to buy a used BMW without a warranty".. I was like WOW! Great way to kill a sale.. haha nevertheless, she said it.. truth came out.

What say you?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:11 AM   #3
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
The coolant issue is more of when the water pump fails because it is electric. Usually the hoses and expansion tank is replaced with it. I had the same issue on my X5 and my 335i, usually 50 to 75k is when the go, mine went around 90k.

If the guy has the maintenace records and wants to sell the car he can provide it for you, either the buyer can get a copy from where did the work and if you have any concerns take it to an indy for a PPI.

My recommendations is to buy the 50i with an extended warranty. If you want to go without the warranty then look at the 35d.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
BlackX5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
The coolant issue is more of when the water pump fails because it is electric. Usually the hoses and expansion tank is replaced with it. I had the same issue on my X5 and my 335i, usually 50 to 75k is when the go, mine went around 90k.

If the guy has the maintenace records and wants to sell the car he can provide it for you, either the buyer can get a copy from where did the work and if you have any concerns take it to an indy for a PPI.

My recommendations is to buy the 50i with an extended warranty. If you want to go without the warranty then look at the 35d.
What is Indy
What is PIP

I had an older camaro where i replaced the mechanical water pump with an electrcial water pump. And the manufacturer clearly stated the electrical pump has a lifetime expectancy of a certain number of hours. Beyond that, you are at risk. So yes, I believe it. I'm sure BMW is no different.

Yes I agree with your mileage estimates. It agrees with What I see.

I am thinking about buying this Mechanical Breakdown insurance. It is supposedly different than an extended warranty.
https://www.dcu.org/loans/mechanical-breakdown-insurance.html

Or instead of buying the 50i, why not go with the 48i. I know the older model has a less desirable navigation.. But no turbo and more instance power and no electrical pump.. right? I think those are mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Pierce330
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328 xDrive

Indy is an independent shop. Ie. not BMW dealership

PPI is a pre-purchase inspection.
E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX5 View Post
What is Indy
What is PIP

I had an older camaro where i replaced the mechanical water pump with an electrcial water pump. And the manufacturer clearly stated the electrical pump has a lifetime expectancy of a certain number of hours. Beyond that, you are at risk. So yes, I believe it. I'm sure BMW is no different.

I am thinking about buying this Mechanical Breakdown insurance. It is supposedly different than an extended warranty.
https://www.dcu.org/loans/mechanical...insurance.html

Or instead of buying the 50i, why not go with the 48i. I know the older model has a less desirable navigation.. But no turbo and more instance power and no electrical pump.. right? I think those are mechanical.
I have a feeling that 'mechanical breakdown insurance' is just about the same as an aftermarket warranty. It is probably just a company in cahoots with the bank.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX5 View Post
What is Indy
What is PIP

https://www.dcu.org/loans/mechanical...insurance.html

In the end its about what you want, if you dont mind the older technology the N/A motor is well worth it, my brother in law has a 4.8 and hasnt had the amount of issues i am having.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
To the original poster there has been several X5's with cracked coolant expansion tanks. Not sure it matters on the engine there. Just something to keep in mind. It's a $60 part on rockauto I think.

The 50i has an extra electric water pump for the turbo chargers. Mine had to be replaced I did it for $80 BMW part.
Appreciate 0