XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Lahodgie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xdrive35i

Need help - 2012 X5 Front Suspension Replaced, Still Hear a Knocking :(

Hey everyone, I bought a 2012 X5 xdrive35i in June 2019 (1.5 years ago) with 51,000 miles on it for a really great price. There were no suspension noises when I bought it...it was in very good shape overall.

About 6 months later when it started to get cold, I heard a knocking on the front driver side suspension. I saw the strut tower bushings had basically disintegrated, so I replaced both sides complete strut tower assembly. That fixed the knock for a bit (at least I thought), then it came back. I felt the X5 start to "drift" sometimes, so I replaced the sway bar links. Once again, knock was still there. I thought...while Im at it, I'll have all the front suspension replaced. So I got the replacement kit from FCP Euro and had a shop do the upper wishbone, lower wishbone, inner/outer tie rods, etc.

Knock is still there on the front drivers side. And ITS ONLY WHEN IT IS COLD OUT, under 60 degrees or so. Its just a constant very light knocking which is louder at slow speeds, and then it goes away as I speed up. And like I said, in the summer, it goes away completely. Like dead quiet, rides perfect in the summer. The colder it is...like 35 degrees yesterday, it sounds like someone knocking on the front door. So Im thinking it has something to do with expanding/contracting due to the heat and cold. And yes, Ive rechecked the strut tower bushings, its not them. They are still good.

So long story short...I saw a thread one time where someone had the same issue and they said they replaced all the front suspension...same thing, knock didnt go away. But then their mechanic told them to replace a "knuckle".

Does that make sense? Ive taken this to BMW shops and they cant find the problem. What "knuckles" could it be?? Steering knuckle?? Suspension knuckle?? Im at the end of what I know to check for. Is there anything else it can be? Axle issue?? Like I said, steering does feel a little loose and gusty winds do push it around a lot, but who knows. That could be something else altogether.

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!!
Appreciate 0