XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #45
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

My apologies if this is redundant, long thread and I may have missed something. I put the Supersprint street muffler on my 3.5.....yes too pricey. Regardless, it came with two oval extensions and tips from the muffler through the bumper, no cutting required. Unfortunately the tips and extensions were too pricey as well, about $800. Regardless, I thought someone may consider them as a potential option for this discussed application.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #46
minime388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5L

how much is your muffler and does it sound good?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #47
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

If the below link does not work it was about $1500. I couldn't even hear the engine prior to the install. Sound good? I wish it was a touch louder, Supersprint claimed two decible increase and plus seven HP. I have the "Street Muffler". Regardless, it has a subdued quality sound to it. Not loud at all. I have contemplated chopping off the resonator but that may be too much.

http://www.supersprintna.com/categor..._model%5D/359/
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #48
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
If the below link does not work it was about $1500. I couldn't even hear the engine prior to the install. Sound good? I wish it was a touch louder, Supersprint claimed two decible increase and plus seven HP. I have the "Street Muffler". Regardless, it has a subdued quality sound to it. Not loud at all. I have contemplated chopping off the resonator but that may be too much.
You could replace the resonator with a better flowing one. It's a dual in, dual out oval muffler with 2.25" piping (I believe but you can go with 2.5" in-outlets as well).. You shouldn't have any drone that way. You might experience some drone if you use straight piping though.. Just measure the width of the can, order a Magnaflow one from Amazon (should be about $60-$70) and get it replaced in an exhaust shop. The cost shouldn't top $200, including the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #49
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Btw, if anybody is interested, here's one way to go with a custom rear muffler setup:
2 x Magnaflow #11365 (or #14362 for polished). Polished ones are $92 each
2 x short tips (if you want to replace stock tips). I went with Magnaflow 35136, they're 5" long. These are $30 each

The rear mufflers are offset type. There'll be one on each side and the exhaust shop needs to take care of the piping to the inlets and to the tips. If you'd like, you can get mandrel bent pieces to keep away from the crush bending the shops generally use..

Tips part is a little challenging since there's very little space in there. Adding two flanges to the twin pipes coming to the rear muffler will also ease up the switching between stock and aftermarket.. This setup should sound similar to Dinan one, if not a bit louder, as they're using the same method. Two small cans instead of one big can will always sound louder, esp at WOT.

I've posted Magnaflow because their muffler info is more detailed than others.. Flowmaster is another good brand that you can use..
Appreciate 0